Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti unsure about flagship sedan, small RWD coupe more likely

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 09:26 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
IMO the current LS 600hLis not up to the elegance of the S class nor the prestige of owning a 760i or Audi A8 W12. The LS 460L matches up well against the 745 and base S class.

The mightly LS does some things very well but as Motor Trend recently said...."no longer the benchmark car"....and I agree.
I had to figure for a minute there to see what you wanted to say.

I like all the models from Infiniti, but not having a flagship and wanting to be tier 1??? What a joke.

How would MB and BMW be without the S and 7 series then???
Old 09-02-08, 09:34 AM
LexFather

I base it on overall refinement, luxury, prestige and awards and such. I don't base it on number of models offered or pricing....number of models offered to me means the vehicle is full line manufacturer or not. Mercedes is a full line manufactured without a minivan/pick up.

Almost all Infinitis are prasied by Jd Power and Consumer reports, all luxurious, power ful, ride well, and are reliabile. They do a good job of making what in my mind is a luxury car.

You could comparo a M45, 540, GS460, merc e class very easily. You wouldn't add the RL in the mix. As for the Q45...it does not have one right now but they did before. It is not a good time to bring out a large luxury flagship.

Tier 1
BMW
Audi
Mercedes
Lexus
Inifniti (just makes it)
Jaguar
Land Rover
Well you and 3 other people think that. The world doesn't, not even INFINITI says/knows they are Tier I.

How can you put a company in a Tier they acknowledge they are not in?

Old 09-02-08, 09:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well you and 3 other people think that. The world doesn't, not even INFINITI says/knows they are Tier I.

How can you put a company in a Tier they acknowledge they are not in?
There's an article posted here on exactly that right ?
Old 09-02-08, 10:46 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus is Tier 1 in America, not Worldwide but getting there.
Audi is Tier 2 in America (I wish their management would get a damn clue here), Tier I Wordwide.
how are audi sales worldwide?
Old 09-02-08, 11:00 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would MB and BMW be without the S and 7 series then???
MB and BMW would still be tier 1 without a S or 7. Whether or not you are tier 1 has nothing to do with how many models you offer. It is the brand name, performance (both lux and on road) and prestige of owning one. Infiniti just inches and is borderline into tier one with their M45.
Old 09-02-08, 01:57 PM
LexFather

MB and BMW would still be tier 1 without a S or 7. Whether or not you are tier 1 has nothing to do with how many models you offer. It is the brand name, performance (both lux and on road) and prestige of owning one. Infiniti just inches and is borderline into tier one with their M45.
You cannot be Tier 1 without a true flagship and even with a flagship, it is not guaranteed. The M35/45 is a very good effort and overall a great vehicle but does not remotely push the entire company into Tier 1. Again, this is NOT the first time Infiniti themselves have said "we are not Tier 1" so there is NOTHING to even debate.

No one wakes up one day and becomes Tier 1. In Lexus case it took at least 12-15 years in America with hardly any missteps along the way and they are not Tier 1 worldwide.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
how are audi sales worldwide?
Good question. BMW/Benz/Audi all flirt between 900k-1 mill sales a year.
Lexus is over 400k a year.

Thing is, Lexus does it with a much much smaller lineup and with only one 4 cylinder diesel and with no compacts/hatches.

So its pretty remarkable on Lexus part.

Old 09-02-08, 02:15 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I think it should go back to the good old days when car brands where know for their reputation, I don't think every make needs a competitive model, a Flagship Infiniti is not in the picture cause some bean counter has run the numbers and they are not gonna sell more then 40k a year, I for one like the idea of buying a niche vehicle.

Easy and brainless attempt at bringing back the Q45/Q50 is a longer wheel base M with a slightly different face and rear, different wheels, interior and some fancy options that sound cool but most don't need but add up when you get them, no advertising, minimal at best, we don't need Superbowl a commercials

I hate Wal-Mart, I hate how everything has to be cheaper and cheaper, this is effecting car manufactures which is gonna hit the car buying public in the wallet
Old 09-02-08, 07:04 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infiniti is Tier 2 and always will be until they get a real flagship.

LOL @ using the M45 as a pseudo flagship.
Old 09-02-08, 07:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Who exactly is the "final decider" on what cars are tier 1, 2 etc.??
Old 09-02-08, 10:29 PM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
This is reminiscent of what the BMW forums say about Lexus

You are closing your eyes if you believe Infiniti can't compete with any of those brands you just mentioned.

I will agree with 1SICKLEX regarding management; they seem to be a little confused and unsure as to what direction they are going to take in the future.

Oh my eyes are widely open, you can't compare dreams to reality, wake up...

Let's start with the obvious. Infiniti currently as of 2008/2009 does not have a flagship sedan that can compete with the LS 460/600h L, BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class. Infiniti can compete in the mid-level sedan class with it's M35/45 compared to the GS 350/460, BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class. Infiniti can compete in the entry level class with it's G35/37 with the ES 350/IS 250/350 and soon Lexus will have the IS 250c/350c. Lexus does have the IS F which Infinit does not. Lexus also has a coupe the SC 430 and Infiniti does not. I will say the EX35 and FX35/45 are nice but Infiniti's QX56 is a joke in a half.

Infiniti is tier 2 just like Acura. They've come a long way but haven't been as successful as Lexus.

Infiniti has canceled so much more models than Lexus. Lexus has canceled the SC 300 and the IS 300 sportcross. Infiniti has canceled the G20, J30, QX4, M30, Q45 and there might be more...
Old 09-02-08, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't care where infiniti is at now, but for sure they wants to enter luxury car segment. doing that without a flagship but another compact / coupe coz' of economy / fuel, that makes a lot of sense.... or not...

this is the luxury car segment for crying out loud
Old 09-02-08, 11:07 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trexus
Let's start with the obvious. Infiniti currently as of 2008/2009 does not have a flagship sedan that can compete with the LS 460/600h L, BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class.
That's a given. No one is arguing against that.

Infiniti can compete in the mid-level sedan class with it's M35/45 compared to the GS 350/460, BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class. Infiniti can compete in the entry level class with it's G35/37 with the ES 350/IS 250/350 and soon Lexus will have the IS 250c/350c.
Yet you still state Infiniti can't compate with the other big luxury brands? The company is only missing two key ingredients: a flagship model & performance vehicle.
Other than that, it's doing very well. In terms of sales, entry level & mid-sized vehicles are the majority. But flagship models are definately important for prestige.

Lexus does have the IS F which Infinit does not.
It took Lexus a lifetime to compete with the M & AMG brands. Give Infiniti a few years, and im sure they'll be there too.

Lexus also has a coupe the SC 430 and Infiniti does not.
The G Coupe is not a... coupe?

I will say the EX35 and FX35/45 are nice but Infiniti's QX56 is a joke in a half
We're on the same page here.

Infiniti has canceled so much more models than Lexus. Lexus has canceled the SC 300 and the IS 300 sportcross. Infiniti has canceled the G20, J30, QX4, M30, Q45 and there might be more...
Before the G35, Infiniti was trash. Good thing Infiniti isn't too woried about the past as you seem to be.

I think some of us are forgetting how quickly Infiniti has climbed up the latter. We can't just expect them to be #1 in a matter of 5 years.

They atleast seem to be headed in the right direction, as opposed to Acura.

Old 09-03-08, 12:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

how quickly infiniti has climbed up the ladder? i think it's about 20 yrs ago when lexus was starting as well? i can say with good confidence that lexus is doing far better than inifiniti at this point. don't even need to pull acura into play, they are off chart since long ago

i think infiniti can find a way to compete with m and amg, just like how toyota is very capable of that. but i will give it a few years and see what they have. if they don't even have an established flagship for a LUXURY brand, i don't think they are at the position of talking about true sport division

inifiniti is a brand with potential, i always think so. but they have been making weird and bad decisions time after time. they have their good ones with the G (neck to neck with IS) and sort of with the M (initially over the GS but now dying down). but the Q has been miserable (LS win), QX is way off (GX and LX win).

inifiniti can get there, but they still have quite some way to go to be able to catch up with the big dogs