Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti unsure about flagship sedan, small RWD coupe more likely

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Post Infiniti unsure about flagship sedan, small RWD coupe more likely

The growing push towards smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles could possibly lead the charge for changing consumer perceptions of what defines a luxury car, according to Nissan’s global design director Shiro Nakamura. When asked about a possible flagship sedan for Infiniti, Nakamura replied that while the company is working to establish itself as a ‘Tier 1′ luxury brand, it is still “not sure a big sedan is necessary for a luxury brand,” and that in the coming decade “luxury may be defined by technology, quality and design.”

Infiniti has not had a large flagship sedan since 2006, when the Infiniti Q45 filled this role. Previous rumors had the Q45 being revived, but they were subsequently squashed. Talks have most recently turned to an Infiniti-branded four-door version of the Nissan GT-R, which would certainly add some serious performance credibility to the lineup. On the other hand, it’s hardly small enough to be a lightweight and fuel-efficient vehicle, nor is it likely to be built large enough to afford flagship-sedan interior space.

While the next-generation Q45’s future remains unclear, there is greater hope for an entry-level Infiniti that would be smaller than the G37. Previously we reported that Nissan execs had hinted that the mechanicals from the upcoming 350Z successor could be borrowed by Infiniti to create a small coupe, although the Infiniti version would likely have a smaller engine compared to the 370Z.

Despite an entry-level model still being over three years from production, Nakamura said tentatively that any new Infiniti models should be RWD in keeping with the premium image of a Tier 1 luxury brand.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...pe-more-likely

Old 09-01-08, 10:03 AM
LexFather

If their global director even thinks you don't need a flagship to be Tier 1 nothing more needs to be said.

I still can't believe they debuted in Europe without small engines, no hybrids and no diesels.

Why would the Infiniti version of the 350Z have a SMALLER engine than the Nissan?

Overall their products are totally improved but their management remains mostly clueless outside of the last sentence, they figured out they need to be RWD.

Old 09-01-08, 11:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the G line already was the Infiniti version of the 350/370Z
Old 09-01-08, 11:51 AM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I thought the G line already was the Infiniti version of the 350/370Z
The Z is a 2 seat roadster and the G is a 2+2 seat coupe.

I really hope Infiniti releases another big sedan and markets it correctly this time. I think Infiniti has a better chance of suceeding with a new renamed flagship then if they were to bring back the Q which never sold to well reguardless of how well the F50 (02-06 model) did in magazine tests.
Old 09-01-08, 12:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

If their global director even thinks you don't need a flagship to be Tier 1 nothing more needs to be said
While I do think that Infinit is tier 1 luxury I don't think they should rush out a Q right away. I think that the large luxury segment future is up in the air. We know BMW will have a A8 and Merc and BMW...IMO the current LS is not up to the segment standards...kind of like the first gen Tundra against the rest.

Back to infiniti...the M35 and M45 compete very well with the GS350/460 and also competes IMO just barely with the LS460
Old 09-01-08, 03:20 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WidebodyQ
The Z is a 2 seat roadster and the G is a 2+2 seat coupe.
The Z is a coupe as well, not just a roadster, and is fundamentally the same as the G35/G37.
Old 09-01-08, 03:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
While I do think that Infinit is tier 1 luxury I don't think they should rush out a Q right away. I think that the large luxury segment future is up in the air. We know BMW will have a A8 and Merc and BMW...IMO the current LS is not up to the segment standards...kind of like the first gen Tundra against the rest.

Back to infiniti...the M35 and M45 compete very well with the GS350/460 and also competes IMO just barely with the LS460
How can you begin to consider Infinti it tier 1? Please do share.

Then you say the current LS is not up to segment standards, yet in many ways it sets the standard.

Old 09-01-08, 04:34 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Z is a coupe as well, not just a roadster, and is fundamentally the same as the G35/G37.
The G coupe is on the same 111" wheelbase as the G sedan. It has a useable back seat and trunk. The G rides much better than the Z and is quieter. More luxury, less sport. They are not the same other than being based on the same platform. That same platform also is the basis of the M and FX products.
Steve
Old 09-01-08, 10:16 PM
Trexus

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Infiniti is definitely not going to be at the same level as Lexus or bigger than Lexus in any way. Infiniti will just be there, a small niche brand that doesn't compete on every level such as Lexus, Mercedes, BMW or Audi...
Old 09-01-08, 10:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

S16 Sylvia to debut as an Infiniti? I'm all for it!
Old 09-01-08, 10:40 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infiniti is not tier 1 but neither is Lexus. 3 series coupe competitor? More drivetrain options? Lexus is closer to tier 1 but still lacks the options that MB and BMW offer (albeit expensive options). Don't worry I still love Lexus but if someone were to ask me if I thought they were tier 1, I would say no.
Old 09-01-08, 10:52 PM
LexFather

Lexus is Tier 1 in America, not Worldwide but getting there.
Audi is Tier 2 in America (I wish their management would get a damn clue here), Tier I Wordwide.

Old 09-01-08, 11:18 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trexus
Infiniti is definitely not going to be at the same level as Lexus or bigger than Lexus in any way. Infiniti will just be there, a small niche brand that doesn't compete on every level such as Lexus, Mercedes, BMW or Audi...
This is reminiscent of what the BMW forums say about Lexus

You are closing your eyes if you believe Infiniti can't compete with any of those brands you just mentioned.

I will agree with 1SICKLEX regarding management; they seem to be a little confused and unsure as to what direction they are going to take in the future.

Old 09-02-08, 01:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How can you begin to consider Infinti it tier 1? Please do share. .
I base it on overall refinement, luxury, prestige and awards and such. I don't base it on number of models offered or pricing....number of models offered to me means the vehicle is full line manufacturer or not. Mercedes is a full line manufactured without a minivan/pick up.

Almost all Infinitis are prasied by Jd Power and Consumer reports, all luxurious, power ful, ride well, and are reliabile. They do a good job of making what in my mind is a luxury car.

You could comparo a M45, 540, GS460, merc e class very easily. You wouldn't add the RL in the mix. As for the Q45...it does not have one right now but they did before. It is not a good time to bring out a large luxury flagship.

Tier 1
BMW
Audi
Mercedes
Lexus
Inifniti (just makes it)
Jaguar
Land Rover

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-02-08 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-02-08, 01:42 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Then you say the current LS is not up to segment standards, yet in many ways it sets the standard
IMO the current LS is not up to the elegance of the S class nor the prestige of owning a 760i or Audi A8 W12. The LS matches up well against the 745 and base S class.

The mightly LS does some things very well but as Motor Trend recently said...."no longer the benchmark car"....and I agree.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-02-08 at 03:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Infiniti unsure about flagship sedan, small RWD coupe more likely