Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What American car to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 02:39 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What American car to buy?

I'm looking to help my parents replace the 1995 Toyota Avalon.

There looking for the best American made car with all the special deals being offered. 0% for 60/72 or rebate.

They have owned many japanese cars over the years but the Avalon was a disappointment. Lots of repairs and quality issues.

They want a mid size car like the camry but no smaller than that.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Last edited by LexFather; 09-01-08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 02:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo

There looking for the best American made car with all the special deals being offered. 0% for 60/72 or rebate.

They have owned many jap cars over the years but the Avalon was a disappointment. Lots of repairs and quality issues.

Any thoughts?

TIA
There's some interesting/positive information on the new Chevy Malibu. Scroll down to the thread with 1Sickreview of the '08 Malibu LTZ. This one might be worth considering.

Just curious, if your parents were disappointed with the '95 Avalon, why did they keep it for 13 years?
Old 09-01-08, 03:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have owned many japanese cars over the years but the Avalon was a disappointment. Lots of repairs and quality issues.

TIA

I would go with CTS.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-01-08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 03:42 PM
LexFather

Check my and MMarshalls review of the new Malibu. I think it does very very well. You can get employee pricing now too!

Old 09-01-08, 04:19 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Careful. A lot of American brands are made overseas, and ironically, some foreign brands are made here in the US. Might want to research this first.

I know that the Acura TL is made in Ohio and would consider that one. I recently saw some new buicks that looked pretty nice as well.
Old 09-01-08, 04:29 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Lincoln MKZ has gotten really great reliability ratings. It is mid-size with a large trunk. It comes as either FWD or AWD if they drive in snow. The 350 engine with six speed auto gives adequate performance and pretty good mileage. Sticker is about $35K really loaded which is about $10K cheaper than a loaded CTS. Street price for a 2008 this time of year should be about $30K or a little less.
Steve
Old 09-01-08, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Any thoughts?

TIA
Is there a particular price range they want to stay in?
Old 09-01-08, 04:41 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Lincoln MKZ has gotten really great reliability ratings. It is mid-size with a large trunk. It comes as either FWD or AWD if they drive in snow. The 350 engine with six speed auto gives adequate performance and pretty good mileage. Sticker is about $35K really loaded which is about $10K cheaper than a loaded CTS. Street price for a 2008 this time of year should be about $30K or a little less.
Steve
Actually, I just went to check out the lincoln, thats the vehicle I saw, not a buick. That thing looks pretty sharp on the road.
Old 09-01-08, 05:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Some great choices mentioned already. I would also recommend looking at the new Taurus. It's ROOMY, QUIET, 6 speed auto and new improved V6, and a very nice interior. The name may conjure up memories of old rentals (like Malibu) but it's worth checking out.
Old 09-01-08, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There looking for the best American made car
Remember......"American-made", today, covers a lot of non-"American" nameplates as well. A number of Japanese, European, and Korean automakers not only sell models here in the U.S. but build them here as well. So, you have a lot to choose from.

If it is a mid-sized or larger American nameplate sedan you want, the Saturn Aura, Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Ford Taurus, Mercury Milan, Mercury Sable, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKS, and Pontiac G8 are all worth looking at.

The Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln products all offer an AWD option...a plus in bad weather...and are generally average or better in reliability except for the new Lincoln MKS, which is brand-new and unproven. The Aura and Malibu are well-finished inside and out, ride quietly, and are smooth to drive (and the Malibu offers a higher-mileage Hybrid model), but are also unproven in reliability. Ditto for the Pontiac G8 reliability......but it is fun to drive, and the V8 versions are like a 4-door Pontiac GTO. The G8 seems well-made except for some cheap interior parts....and it is a bargain in a high-performance sedan.

While some of the Chrysler/Dodge sedans may impress with their looks, especially the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, I generally don't recommend them because of questionable-to-poor build quality, flimsy interior and trim parts, and generally poor dealer/manufacturer service. The Charger and 300, however, offer solid, Mercedes-engineered chassis, transmissions and a brute of an SRT Hemi V8 (425 HP), but, IMO, little else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 07:18 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Check out the Buick Lucerne. Nice ride and room and a couple different models/option packages depending on the price range they might be interested in. The Taurus is also a decent choice if looking for something a bit less than the Buick.
Old 09-01-08, 08:51 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Lincoln MKS gets my vote. Assuming you mean American car company.

Originally Posted by leedogg
Careful. A lot of American brands are made overseas
A lot? Name them (I came up with two - The Aveo and the Astra - I did not confirm they were made overseas however).

PS - Remember, Mexico and Canada don't count as overseas
Old 09-01-08, 09:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

CTS or wait for the Milan hybrid.
Old 09-01-08, 09:41 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Wait for the mondeo!! it will be here in a few years
Old 09-01-08, 11:59 PM