Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2008 Auto Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Honda Passes Chrysler as Asia Brands Widen U.S. Share (Update1)

By Alan Ohnsman and Mike Ramsey
Enlarge Image/Details

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co. passed Chrysler LLC in August to grab fourth place in U.S. sales this year as cars won market share from trucks amid an industrywide slump.

Asia-based brands led by Nissan Motor Co.'s 14 percent gain raised their share of August U.S. sales to 47.3 percent, beating General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler for a fourth month, research firm Autodata Corp. said yesterday. While Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda fell, they dropped less than the U.S trio.

Tokyo-based Honda may keep the No. 4 spot as a sluggish economy and fuel prices crimp demand for the light trucks that make up more than half of Chrysler's volume. Honda's 2008 U.S. sales are up 1.7 percent, while Chrysler's are down 24 percent.

``Honda and Nissan will likely be the only big automakers that post positive numbers in the U.S. for the calendar year,'' said Jesse Toprak, director of industry analysis for automotive research firm Edmunds.com in Santa Monica, California. ``In this kind of economy, with double-digit sales declines for the industry, any kind of gain is a good one.''

U.S. auto sales slid for a 10th straight month, pushing the industry toward its lowest annual total since the early 1990s. The 15 percent tumble included a 22 percent drop for light trucks, according to Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey-based Autodata.

Japanese, Korean Brands

Japanese and South Korean automakers, which are more focused on cars, slid only 5.1 percent from a year earlier as they sold a combined 591,260 vehicles last month. Their U.S. market share was 42.2 percent in August 2007.

Honda, Japan's second-largest automaker, sold 1.083 million autos in the U.S. through August, compared with 1.076 million for Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler. Honda has increased annual U.S. sales every year since 1994, the longest streak of any of the big automakers.

Chrysler held a 352,704-unit lead in August 2007, when it was acquired by Cerberus Capital Management LP. Toyota took the No. 3 spot from Chrysler in 2006, then passed Ford last year. Detroit-based GM leads in U.S. sales.

Nissan's 14-percent sales gain was its fifth advance this year and the only one among the six biggest automakers in the U.S. in August. Its increase was led by the revamped Maxima sedan and new Rogue crossover, general manager of Nissan brand sales Al Castignetti said in a telephone interview yesterday.

``There's no change in the move to smaller, more fuel- efficient models,'' he said.

Nissan's increase boosted its market share to 8.7 percent last month, a 2.2-point improvement, according to Autodata. Nissan is sixth in the U.S. by sales volume.

Gasoline Prices

U.S. gasoline prices declined from the $4.11-a-gallon record set July 15, leading some analysts to predict consumers would consider big trucks again. The average price at U.S. pumps in August was $3.76, according to motorist group AAA.

``We did see some increased traffic levels at dealerships for some trucks due to the easing of gas prices,'' Castignetti said.

Toyota sold 211,533 vehicles, down 9.4 percent. Declines for the Toyota City, Japan-based company were led by Avalon large sedans, RAV4 compact sport-utility vehicles and larger FJ Cruiser and 4Runner SUVs.

Prius, Corollas

Limited inventory of models including Prius hybrids and Corolla small cars damped August results, as did the replacement of the RAV4 with a 2009 version, Irv Miller, group vice president of Toyota's U.S. sales unit, said in a conference call.

Still, Toyota's market share improved to 16.9 percent, up from 15.8 percent, and it outsold Ford by a record 55,843 vehicles.

Honda sold 146,855 Honda and Acura brand vehicles, down 7.3 percent. The slide reflected a shortage of Fit subcompacts as the company switched over to a revamped model, spokesman Chris Martin said in an interview. Honda's market share was 11.8 percent, up from 10.7 percent.

Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's largest automaker and No. 7 in the U.S., sold 41,130 vehicles, down 8.8 percent. Lower sales of Santa Fe and Tucson SUVs paced the slide as the Seoul- based company finished its first month of sales for the Genesis luxury sedan, selling 1,177 of the cars.

Toyota rose 90 yen, or 1.9 percent, to 4,940 at 9:33 a.m. in Tokyo Stock Exchange trading. Honda rose 4.3 percent to 3,680 yen in Tokyo and Nissan rose 1.3 percent to 848 yen. Hyundai Motor fell 0.7 percent to 70,600 won in trading in Seoul.

Kia Motors Corp., a Hyundai affiliate, reported sales of 25,065 vehicles, down 6.7 percent. Mazda Motor Corp., a third owned by Ford, sold 23,600 autos, 4.4 percent fewer than a year ago.

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.'s Subaru, a Toyota affiliate, matched Nissan by raising its sales 14 percent to 18,932 on a jump in sales for its new Forester SUV and Impreza cars and wagons.

Japan's Mitsubishi Motors Corp. reported a 29 percent sales decline to 9,200 units, and Suzuki Motor Corp. sold 6,083 vehicles, down 32 percent.

To contact the reporters on this story: Alan Ohnsman in Los Angeles at aohnsman@bloomberg.net; Mike Ramsey in Southfield, Michigan, at mramsey6@bloomberg.net

Old 09-03-08, 07:44 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
With 2.9 APR for 48 months and 3.9 for 60 months...the IS/ES/RX deals were very enticing.
Ya that and the leases for those vehicles were really good.

$329/mo for IS250
$399/mo for ES350
$449/mo for RX350

All 36 month leases
Old 09-03-08, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
TaTa has not reported the last 2 months now for Jaguar
Anyone know what TaTa's logo looks like?
Old 09-03-08, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
That Genesis is lighting up the charts, outselling S60... good job.
Ridiculous comment. It's the first month. I think over 1000 units in this crappy market is a good start. And I imagine the Genesis costs a good bit more than an S60.
Old 09-03-08, 09:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The IS 250/350/F saw sales jump 17.4%...interesting. Maybe a trend towards more compact sized sedans?
Old 09-03-08, 09:45 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

SEQUOIA 3,195 1,717 +86.1%

What schmuck was complaining about the Sequoia again? Ya, ya I know...$10k off and it will sell, but i can still have some fun with it...
Old 09-04-08, 05:18 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i really have to bow to bmw on the 5. maybe i should get m5
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Old 09-04-08, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
The IS 250/350/F saw sales jump 17.4%...interesting. Maybe a trend towards more compact sized sedans?
Or an end of summer / model year end sale?
Old 09-04-08, 09:36 AM
08IS350
Driver

People in Acura forum are telling about TSX. Their excuse is TSX didn't have any special in Aug. Isn't TSX sticker still cheaper than IS invoice price?
Old 09-04-08, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

lol, look for my other thread that i am going to start soon

Originally Posted by 08IS350
People in Acura forum are telling about TSX. Their excuse is TSX didn't have any special in Aug. Isn't TSX sticker still cheaper than IS invoice price?
expected, don't we?
Old 09-04-08, 12:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ridiculous comment. It's the first month. I think over 1000 units in this crappy market is a good start. And I imagine the Genesis costs a good bit more than an S60.
thats the only cars in its price class that it outsold... It sold 7x less than ES350. And ES can easily be more expensive than V8 Genesis.

It should sell bad in the first month when it can be easily found on dealer lots? When should it sell well, in 4th year?

Old 09-04-08, 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's nice to see the ES350 hanging in there going into its 3rd model year, with 7,881 sales in Aug. There is A LOT of competition in that segment from Buick, Caddy, Lincoln, Infiniti, Acura, Hyundai etc., etc. It's probably going to need a mid-cycle refresh in '09 or '10 but still selling well.
Old 09-04-08, 02:41 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 08IS350
The Acura TSX had a lot of things going against it for the month of August:

1.) Like the forums said, lack of incentives. August 2008 was a big month of incentives among MOST manufacturers. Infiniti was offering 1.9% financing on the G and Lexus was offering 2.9% on the IS. Both cars are already easy to get close to invoice deals on. When you add the financing deal, it's a no brainer. I don't think there are many people out there that will spend money on a TSX if they can get a G35 or IS250 for around the same price. Acura has no deals on the TSX and most dealers aren't dealing much below sticker, if any. The G and IS proved this month that they were the better values over the TSX, hence the strong G sales and best-ever IS sales.

2.) Acura TL sell-a-thon. If anyone is in the market for a 2008 Acura TL right now, you can get an unbelievable deal. You can get a base TL for close to the same price of a base TSX. You can get a Type S for under $34k easily. The TL is superior to the TSX in almost every way. Unless your main concern is fuel economy, why would you get a TSX when you can get the TL for around the same price? Real world driving among TL owners in the forums consists of a good amount of hwy mileage that is over 30 mpg, so even fuel economy shouldn't be that much of an issue when comparing to the TSX. Furthermore, I want to say that the TL has had declining sales for more than the past year (?). All of a sudden, the TL has a huge jump in sales compared to previous months and the TSX a drop. With the arrival of the 2009 TL in three weeks, I think even a bat could see what is going on here.

3.) Although dealers do have TSX's on the lot, it is limited. Some of the Acura salesmen on the forums have stated that their specific dealerships are short on TSX's (not speaking for ALL dealerships). The TSX (euro-Accord) just recently went on sale in Europe (after the TSX went on sale in the US). By doing a quick and easy search on Honda's news website, one can see that in July, Honda increased exports to Europe by almost 48%. As most people here already know, the Civic is built in the UK, the CR-V is built in the UK, and the new Fit has not yet arrived in Europe. I think it is safe to say that a good portion of this export increase included Euro-Accord/TSX cars.

These are just some of the possible reasons in MY OPINION of why the TSX didn't have as strong of a showing in August as it usually does.

Disclaimer: I have no invested interest in Honda or Acura. The information given here was done just so for informative purposes and is by no means intended to serve any other purpose. It is not intended to serve as factual information. Your own research is recommended before coming to a conclusion.
Old 09-04-08, 02:53 PM
LexFather

Good post there.

TSX had incentives a couple months ago, I posted about it. You can get it for $329 a month/36 months with around 3k down, which is on par with the competition.

The TSX offers nothing besides a cute stereo over their own Accord, let alone the next level competition and I said Acura missed the mark with this car. Sales goals are 40k a year ,higher than the last TSX.

Between their own Accord and TL, let alone the competition (which all looks better), the TSX is pretty much for happy loyal Honda/Acura fans.

With the new Audi A4 coming now, I don't expect anything to get better, especially since the A4 is now the size of the TSX and can get just as good MPG in 2.0/FWD form. It costs more but A4 is a level over the TSX.

Old 09-04-08, 07:14 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good post there.

TSX had incentives a couple months ago, I posted about it. You can get it for $329 a month/36 months with around 3k down, which is on par with the competition.

The TSX offers nothing besides a cute stereo over their own Accord, let alone the next level competition and I said Acura missed the mark with this car. Sales goals are 40k a year ,higher than the last TSX.

Between their own Accord and TL, let alone the competition (which all looks better), the TSX is pretty much for happy loyal Honda/Acura fans.

With the new Audi A4 coming now, I don't expect anything to get better, especially since the A4 is now the size of the TSX and can get just as good MPG in 2.0/FWD form. It costs more but A4 is a level over the TSX.
Yes, your right. But for the month of August, the deal was removed by Acura and nothing else was put in its place while deals for other cars were further enhanced for the month of August. Possibly to encourage more people to buy the 2008 TL. Also possibly because Acura knew there will be a shortage due to the European release. Who knows.

While I will disagree that the only thing the TSX offers over the Accord is a stereo, I guess it goes to show that a fair amount of people are willing to pay for the car. I've said before that I don't believe it is Honda and Acura loyalists buying the car. You remember all the hatred on the Honda forums regarding the TSX you posted about? NOBODY liked it. The people that are buying the TSX seem mostly like consumers from different brands. Also judging from the owners of the new TSX on Acurazine, it supports the theory that the people who are buying it are not the loyalists. Most of the new owners registered on the forum this year within the past few months and were coming from different brands according to their signatures. I've seen maybe a couple owners of the new TSX who were previous TSX owners as well. The general hatred for the TSX among Honda and Acura forums is universal. It only makes sense.

I like the A4, but lets hope that this months combined sales of the A4/S4/RS4 are not an indication of future sales.

Quick Reply: August 2008 Auto Sales