Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2008 Auto Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Yes, your right. But for the month of August, the deal was removed by Acura and nothing else was put in its place while deals for other cars were further enhanced for the month of August. Possibly to encourage more people to buy the 2008 TL. Also possibly because Acura knew there will be a shortage due to the European release. Who knows.

While I will disagree that the only thing the TSX offers over the Accord is a stereo, I guess it goes to show that a fair amount of people are willing to pay for the car. I've said before that I don't believe it is Honda and Acura loyalists buying the car. You remember all the hatred on the Honda forums regarding the TSX you posted about? NOBODY liked it. The people that are buying the TSX seem mostly like consumers from different brands. Also judging from the owners of the new TSX on Acurazine, it supports the theory that the people who are buying it are not the loyalists. Most of the new owners registered on the forum this year within the past few months and were coming from different brands according to their signatures. I've seen maybe a couple owners of the new TSX who were previous TSX owners as well. The general hatred for the TSX among Honda and Acura forums is universal. It only makes sense.

I like the A4, but lets hope that this months combined sales of the A4/S4/RS4 are not an indication of future sales.
I browsed the forum and the new TSX forum is no where as busy as the last one when the last car debuted. I think its getting a much older buyer, who is not interested in doing the same things as the previous TSX buyer.

I don't think its anyone from different brands, haven't seen much anyone say "hey I traded this" or "this is my first Acura".

We both know the majority of buyers don't post on forums. I think the TSX shot for young guys (looking at those silly ads) but b/c of the cheap price and size, its getting ES 350 customers who don't want to spend 35-45 grand.

Old 09-04-08, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Volkswagen offering 0% financing on all 2008 models

Volkswagen typically shies away from massive rebates, but tough sledding on the sales floor had led the German automaker to take drastic measures. All 2008 models can be had with 0% financing for a limited time, which should help VW dealers clear inventory before the '09 models arrive. The 0% deals vary in duration depending on the model, with most models receiving the special financing for 60 months. You can even get a GTI interest free for five years.

Almost every automaker is breaking the bank with incentives to keep declining sales and increased inventories in check. VW is one of the few automakers that fared fairly well in August sales, so something as drastic as 0% financing is a bit of a surprise. Given that the competition is doing it, though, the German automaker may just be keeping up with the Joneses.

Old 09-04-08, 08:15 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
true bmw and mb have better lease deals, but still the GS is just weak. the LS and IS are going very fine against their competitions and it's still under the same pressure in terms of lease and finance rates.

i guess it just shows how bad lexus executes the GS. it's just been mistakes over mistakes imho. they got so many wrong on the car and it's not selling (yeah, that coming from a 3gs owner...)

i really have to bow to bmw on the 5. maybe i should get m5

My first car was a GS400 and I loved it to death. when I was looking for a new car to replace my DINAN 3, I test drove the 3gs and I thought that it was absolutely horrible. I wasn't even looking at the 5 series, but my girlfriend made me test drive it, needless to say I fell in love and bought a 545i. The 5 series is truly a special car, and really stands out in this category. I just sold it and got an X6. BMW did it again! One only needs to drive the X6 to completely fall in love. Unfortunately I had to also buy a 99 Camry as a beater, beacuse the car just draws too much attention. Whether i'm stopped, parked or rolling, people just crowd around or flag me down to answer questions.
Old 09-05-08, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Or an end of summer / model year end sale?
you do know that Lexus average of 1.5k discounts per car while germans/bmw has 3.5k per car? So yeah, it is always an deal, but still lesser than BMW...
Old 09-05-08, 11:34 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
you do know that Lexus average of 1.5k discounts per car while germans/bmw has 3.5k per car? So yeah, it is always an deal, but still lesser than BMW...
Don't BMWs cost more?
Old 09-05-08, 02:17 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

That's manufacturer discounts/incentives on purchases and leases.

In the real world, on purchases, you can get bigger discounts on Lexuses than BMWs.

Of course, lease deals on BMWs are better.
Old 09-05-08, 02:43 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by carguy101

In the real world, on purchases, you can get bigger discounts on Lexuses than BMWs.

not anymore. The lease on my X6 vs financing was $50 more per month with the same down payment. needless to say I am financing it.
Old 09-05-08, 03:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
not anymore. The lease on my X6 vs financing was $50 more per month with the same down payment. needless to say I am financing it.
I think he means the lease deals on BMWs are better than Lexus.

BTW, how in the world was a monthly purchase payment LESS than a monthly lease payment? If the term is the same, I just don't see how that could be possible unless there was a dramatic difference in interest rates.
Old 09-05-08, 03:09 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
I think he means the lease deals on BMWs are better than Lexus.

BTW, how in the world was a monthly purchase payment LESS than a monthly lease payment? If the term is the same, I just don't see how that could be possible unless there was a dramatic difference in interest rates.
The MF is what made the lease more.
Old 09-05-08, 05:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101

We need proof b/c you are saying the exact contrary reports AND BMW THEMSELVES have stated.

Along with some of the most subsidized leases, they had the most incentives (average) of any luxury car maker.

Over $4000.

We had 3 or 4 threads on it.

Where is this Lexus offers MORE incentives? There hasn't been one shred of evidence to prove or support your claim.

Old 09-05-08, 05:45 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

The MF is what made the lease more.
It's just not possible - unless the numbers were so dramatic (and the MF on the X6 was not great but the finance rate was not great either). Care to share details? (you can PM if you like).
Old 09-05-08, 07:32 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
It's just not possible - unless the numbers were so dramatic (and the MF on the X6 was not great but the finance rate was not great either). Care to share details? (you can PM if you like).
I do not remember the exact details, however I am sure that you can call any dealer and ask for a quote on a lease and finance. My interest rate through bmw financial was .5% lower than what was offered the rest of the public. Also keep in mind that the residual on the X6 is only 50%.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=302967
Old 09-05-08, 08:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I do not remember the exact details, however I am sure that you can call any dealer and ask for a quote on a lease and finance. My interest rate through bmw financial was .5% lower than what was offered the rest of the public. Also keep in mind that the residual on the X6 is only 50%.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=302967
Yes, so if you leased, you would be financing 50% of the car and paying interest on the other 50% of the car. Purchasing the car however means financing 100% of the car. That can not be less expensive.
Old 09-06-08, 08:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Maybe this financing debate should be in another thread?
Old 09-06-08, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Discounts, markups, invoice, margins, incentives, it's all meaningless in the end - what matters is does the consumer in the end think the bottom line is a good value (or they're rich enough or dumb enough that they don't care ).

Quick Reply: August 2008 Auto Sales