Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2008 Auto Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 02:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ah, but you are talking a cash transaction here.... My bet is that MOST people do not do an all cash transaction.

So right now you can lease a 2008 IS250 for $299 a month with about $3K down OR a 2009 TSX for $329 a month with about $3K down (from Sunday Chicago Tribune) and LAST MONTH (not sure about this month) you could purchase an IS for 2.9% finance rate where as you would pay market rate for the TSX. That makes the IS less expensive than the TSX for the majority of the buyers out there.
In rare cases the IS 250 would be cheaper than the TSX. The TSX and Acura still sell on "value". I haven't seen anything lower than $349 or so for the IS 250 as a lease with 3k down.

Mind you the TSX is brand spankin new with lease deals. Simply put the car won't meet the 40k yearly sales goal.

I still don't understand how a 4 cylinder gets the same city MPG as the 4 more hp 6 cylinder in the IS and a whooping 1 MPG more on the highway.

Epic fail.

Old 09-29-08, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I know that I'm a little late on this thread but as Oct looms closer I was taking another glance over the August numbers.

A few notes...

The IS has a particularly good August. I was thinking today about what the breakdown would be between sales of SEDANS between IS, G, C, 3, CTS and TL but BMW does not separate their sales numbers.

IS-6318 C- 6990 TL- 5000 G35- 4014 3-10,756 CTS- 5867

My prediction is that the 3 sells somewhere around 7,000-7,500 sedans with the rest being M3s, coupes, and wagons. Looking at model for model (ex. IS sedans to G sedans to 3 sedans) the IS isn't that far off from BMW. If the next generation IS spawns coupes and convertibles and possibly a wagon, the IS range would be in a position to give the 3 series a run for it's money as the sales king. If Mercedes beefed up the C product line then they too might have a chance at beating them.

I'm surprised the G35 is not outselling the TL considering its age.

Surprisingly, the ES may very well outsell the 3 series sedan

I will be very interested to see how the new TL does in it's first month on the market. Same for the new A4.

Genesis sold 1177 units in August...it will be very interesting to see how October shapes up as I have seen a lot more advertising for the car this month.

RX sold almost 9K units...the clear sales leader in it's class by a long shot. Pretty surprising considering it's age. Next gen will be interesting.

Interesting that there is SUCH a dropoff after looking at 5 and E sales, then considering GS, A6, and M. I don't really think the BMW and Mercedes are really much better than the other three, but all five are to be redesigned within the next few years. FWIW, RL is pitiful.
I would rather Lexus invest more in Europe and get better with sales there, its down 20% this year. I also am not sure if Lexus has the capacity for 10k IS cars a month here. The RX is the volume leader here.

It is amazing how well the TL has done for Acura, then they are going to crap that up with the new model. A 5 year old car outsold many new entries. I expect G35 sales to pick up as well as everyone in this segment when people see how ugly the new TL is. You even have the Genesis to contend with now.

The RL has been a failure for what 14 years now. Pathetic.

Old 09-29-08, 08:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Wow, there are Lexus/Toyota fans and then there is TRD

that said....
correct me if I'm wrong, but the IS (and ES for that matter) had some pretty sweet lease deals (and purchase deals) on them where as the TSX had none. So of you could get an IS for less than a TSX would you?

However, I'm not even sure they are in the same market space
TSX had none? You sure about that? You're forgetting one thing: IS has been outselling the TSX for quite a while now, and you also conveniently forgot to mention the new TSX came right out of the gate with GREAT lease deals, yet despite that sales are already shaky. May the facts be with you.
Old 09-29-08, 10:15 PM
LexFather

2008 Honda Clearance discount
Rip from FW, i think the promo is nationwide.
May not as good as Nissan deal but still good for Honda lovers!

Available through August 31st 2008.

CR-V’s $1200.00 UNDER INVOICE

CIVICS $500.00 UNDER INVOICE

ACCORD V6 MODELS $1500.00 UNDER INVOICE

ACCORD 4cyl. MODELS $1000.00 UNDER INVOICE

ODYSSEYS $4000.00 UNDER INVOICE

RIDGELINES $5500.00 UNDER INVOICE

08 PILOTS $5000.00 UNDER INVOICE

09 PILOTS $2500.00 UNDER INVOICE

SPECIAL FINANCING AVAILABLE ON SELECTED MODELS STARTING AS LOW AS 0.9%

All prices are plus taxes and fees.

Old 09-30-08, 04:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
TSX had none? You sure about that? You're forgetting one thing: IS has been outselling the TSX for quite a while now, and you also conveniently forgot to mention the new TSX came right out of the gate with GREAT lease deals, yet despite that sales are already shaky. May the facts be with you.
The TSX came out with decent lease deals - and that's because it holds its value well. Now I'm not a Honda/Acura zealot, but maybe you can prove to me and everyone else here that the TSX DID have incentives (like the IS) in the month of August. In all of the Acura ads I saw for the month, there was rarely a mention of TSX (informal and not scientific, but still). Whereas all other Acura products had .9% financing.

Once again, I'm not claiming the TSX should outsell the IS - hell, I'm not even saying they compete that much (one is a RWD 6-cyl and one is a FWD 4-cyl), but I am saying that in the month of August, you could get yourself a nice IS250 (which has a higher sticker) for LESS money than a comparable TSX (with a lower sticker).