Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lutz: U.S. government should suspend crash-testing requirements

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 07:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottward
That's a pretty harsh statement. Many of GM's latest products are very good, the CTS and Malibu are just two that quicky come to mind.
for GM to say they are coming up is like a failing, drug addicted student gets an A on one quiz and BOOOM!!!... this kid is an honor student bound for harvard. Not likely. The malibu and the CTS are improvemrnts but no absolute sign of anything. These american car makers are so in the red financially thet are going to be cutting more corners just to stay afloat. The more they cut the lower the quality generally. Not to say that all automakers are not going to be tightening the belts, but with GM its much worse. They are hemoraging cash
Old 09-02-08, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And the U.S. doesn't have a vast variation of vehicles, driving conditions, and roads??
Yes and no. We do have variation, but generally don't drive at Autobahn speeds, always me-first like in Rome, or (with the exception of the Americanized Smart-for-Two) in "cars" that are essentially four-wheeled motorcycles. And, in most places, we also don't have a huge number of bicycles and motor scooters mixing in either, like in Europe.
Old 09-02-08, 08:07 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Lutz has learned anything from this it's probably to make damn sure whatever he says can't be taken out of context and taken in a much more dramatic and negative light than the original statement was actually made.

People in this thread continue to act like Lutz is asking for something more than a reduction of unnecessary red tape to allow perfectly safe european certified vehicles to cross the borders in short time to help the gas crunch.

That's FAR from just saying drop all safety standards and let everyone drive death mobiles.

MMarshall - I haven't personally driven any chinese-made vehicles. I've read countless reviews by those that have, though, as well as seen videos of them in crash tests. They're scary to say the least, though I have no doubt they have or will soon have some decent cars made... for the most they've just been poorly made knock-offs.
Old 09-02-08, 08:13 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just proves Lutz has lost it totally. Several other companies IE: Toyota, Nissan, Honda and the list goes on that proves we can have safety and gas milage. He will kill GM and the public.
Old 09-02-08, 08:35 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
This just proves Lutz has lost it totally. Several other companies IE: Toyota, Nissan, Honda and the list goes on that proves we can have safety and gas milage. He will kill GM and the public.

GM's Cobalt does just as well (actually better w/ the XFE model) than the Sentra/Civic/Corolla. GM is wanting to bring over ultra efficient low-cost models from Europe though. We're talking mid 40s and under 15k in purchase price, and low maintenance... a segment that doesn't really exist from any manufacturer at the moment.
Old 09-02-08, 10:01 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scottward
That's a pretty harsh statement. Many of GM's latest products are very good, the CTS and Malibu are just two that quicky come to mind.
im not saying all their cars are cheap
you totally misunderstood me

im saying chinese cars that can compete with GM's comparable cars that are cheap

i dont recall malibu or cadillac CTS being cheap at all
unless you are a multimillionaire... are you?
the bottomline for GM is that if the chinese manufacturers are able to come in, it would hurt GM regardless

also Euro testing do NOT do roll-over testings for SUVs
US crash test do test it
without that, GM can get away with a lot of safety features

would you rather take a higher risk of dying in an accident than to save a few mpg?

Last edited by UberNoob; 09-02-08 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-02-08, 10:09 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And the U.S. doesn't have a vast variation of vehicles, driving conditions, and roads??

I'd have no worries driving a European approved vehicle here. They're at least as **** about safety there as here.
i have no problems with that either especially for sedans
but for SUVs, i prefer to have them roll-over tested and meeting certain standards

and it is one thing to ask for a uniform global standard governing body to save money and time
it is another to ask for suspending crash-testing requirements in one of the biggest (if not the biggest) auto market in the world
Old 09-03-08, 01:41 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, for one thing, average driving conditions in Europe are different from America, and, of course, vary even more country by country. England, of course, uses right-hand drive models, which may affect the crash-resistance of the car's structure. In Germany, you have some areas with extremely high speeds....much higher then the U.S. In Italy, a million cars all try to get through the same hole at once. In the Alps, you have hairpin after hairpin. And, almost everywhere in Europe, no matter what the country, you have a lot of minicars (like the Smart for Two) that, simply by the laws of physics, are going to be at a disadvantage in a crash with a larger vehicle, no matter how well they do in "tests". So, the point is that it's rather difficult to have a "European" standard that is uniform across the board....or for both Europe and the U.S.
Well, actually, the European standards are uniform and across the board - for both right hand drive and left hand drive markets. One thing we can thank the EU for. They are certainly not "once size fits all for the lowest common denominator". Most of the differences centre round the assumption is that in Europe the occupants will be wearing seatbelts, whereas in the US that is not the case.

The GM products on sale in Europe pass all the European tests with flying colours, are well built and generally reliable. I would see no problem in them being suitable for sale in the US market with only minor tweaks.

In fact, in Europe, the products from Ford and GM are generally better styled and designed, ride and handle better, and are more fuel efficient than their Japanese competition. Ford also seem to have the reliability issues cracked as well. I'm sure many would do well in the US.

Last edited by Big Andy; 09-03-08 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 04:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
lets stop doing crash tests???? This guy is a clown. I am getting 60 mpg, but I am killed in a minor accident. No wonder GM is a total mess. We have sharp people like this guy taking care of things. We all know they are not going to stop crash tests, but what concerns me is that the head of GM is making statements like this. What kind of corners do you think this dude would be willing to make if it was his decision. Thats why I will NEVER buy any GM product.
Regardless of GM's cash woes, GM is definitely not in a position to cut corners. Lutz knows this. Now, more than ever, GM needs to concentrate on the details. Quality and reliability are not expendable, and it won't be at GM. Their current product line shows this, especially in the CTS, Malibu, and the Enclave. Truly Magnificent vehicles. Way to go GM!
Old 09-03-08, 05:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Thats funny European crash test are tougher than US tests. The only reason he wants US to stop crash tests is so GM doesn't have to make their cars as strong/safe to be sold here.
what he wants is to import Daewoos (sorry, Chevys) that get 2-3 stars in EuroNCAP and are the unsafest cars on road in Europe...
Old 09-03-08, 05:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The GM products on sale in Europe pass all the European tests with flying colours, are well built and generally reliable. I would see no problem in them being suitable for sale in the US market with only minor tweaks.
lol

Chevy Aveo - 1/5 stars
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chevro..._2006/250.aspx

Chevy Kalos - 3/5 stars
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chevro..._2006/256.aspx

Chevy Matiz - 2/5 stars
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chevro..._2005/233.aspx
Old 09-03-08, 06:40 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol - I forgot those bargain basement Daewoos that they flog as Chevvys. I was referring to Opel/Vauxhalls designed and built in Europe.

Astra:5/5
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_v..._2004/185.aspx

Corsa:5/5
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_v..._2006/261.aspx

Zafira:5/5
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_v..._2005/217.aspx

Last edited by Big Andy; 09-03-08 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
lol - I forgot those bargain basement Daewoos that they flog as Chevvys. I was referring to Opel/Vauxhalls designed and built in Europe.

Astra:5/5
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_v..._2004/185.aspx

Corsa:5/5
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_v..._2006/261.aspx

Zafira:5/5
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/opel_v..._2005/217.aspx
Daewoos is what Lutz is reffering to, as Euro Opels are too expensive for the USA.
Old 09-03-08, 08:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Well let's remember that "suspending crash test requirements" doesn't mean stopping crash testing. He's suggesting that new requirements stop being added.

I don't get why GM is complaining that they can't compete in the MPG war with these standards in place? Toyota and Honda have to meet the same standards to be sold here. The Smart For-Two meets the standards as well and yet GM's Euro small cars don't have the safety of the Smart??

Old 09-03-08, 08:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Volt still 26 months away!!!!!!!!! My God.

I give up.

By then, Toyota will be designing they're 4th gen Prius.

Quick Reply: Lutz: U.S. government should suspend crash-testing requirements