Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lutz: U.S. government should suspend crash-testing requirements

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 10:02 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Well let's remember that "suspending crash test requirements" doesn't mean stopping crash testing. He's suggesting that new requirements stop being added.
Actually I think he's suggesting allowing cars that meet current European standards to be allowed in. That would mean they don't meet current US requirements. Not adding new requirements.
Originally Posted by JLSC4
I don't get why GM is complaining that they can't compete in the MPG war with these standards in place? Toyota and Honda have to meet the same standards to be sold here. The Smart For-Two meets the standards as well and yet GM's Euro small cars don't have the safety of the Smart??
He's "complaining" so that they can "instantly" have cars they can sell here. Do you remember how long the Smart was going in gestation for the U.S Market?!? A very long time. Do we see really quick turn-arounds for other Honda or Toyota vehicles in other markets? Not really. It just takes time to meet these requirements even if no new engineering needs to take place (currently unlikely).

At least that is how I read his comments and I don't think it would be a bad thing. If nothing else having the flock of "great" European cars we could never have available for sale here would quickly weed out the junk we don't really want to buy but claim we would due to the "grass is greener" mentality.