Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai, HKS Team Up On Genesis Coupe for SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 10:35 AM
LexFather

Thumbs up Hyundai, HKS Team Up On Genesis Coupe for SEMA

Hyundai has announced a second Genesis Coupe partnership for the upcoming SEMA show, and we're pretty sure the picture that comes with this one doesn't include body parts stolen from someone else's rendering. It comes from HKS, a long-time leader and well-known name in aftermarket tuning. With this announcement comes verification from HKS USA president Rick Lafferty that this won't be a simple one-off project: "HKS is allocating R&D, engineering, and prototyping resources to lay the groundwork for HKS-brand Genesis Coupe performance parts," he says in a press release.

The coupe you see here gets a turbo upgrade for the car's 2.0-liter four, though horsepower and torque figures haven't been announced. It also gets HKS engine internals to handle the extra pressure, plus a new exhaust system and high-flow intake. Behind the custom wheels hides an HKS Hipermax III fully-adjustable suspension. It looks like Hyundai is serious about pushing the new rear-drive coupe as the hot new tuner car, and we can't wait to see what else comes along leading up to SEMA.

Press Release: http://www.motivemag.com/pub/n...shtml

Old 09-03-08, 10:36 AM
LexFather

That is wonderful, RWD to boot. I can't even begin to consider the rest of the FWD coupes.

To think I lust after a Hyundai.....

Old 09-03-08, 10:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyndai is going about its marketing wonderfully IMHO. They are reaching out to the aftermarket have letting them embrace the Genesis line. With that will come a steady supply of readily available aftermarket tuning choices and that will help the young public accept this car.

Hyundai may have a tough time convincing older established luxury car buyers of today, but if you go after the younger generation that has the money to spend, you are solidifying your future.
Old 09-03-08, 10:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I still think the Genesis coupe should have been given a different name because it seems so different then the Genesis sedan. That being said, I don't really like the kit.
Old 09-03-08, 05:16 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Hyndai is going about its marketing wonderfully IMHO. They are reaching out to the aftermarket have letting them embrace the Genesis line. With that will come a steady supply of readily available aftermarket tuning choices and that will help the young public accept this car.

Hyundai may have a tough time convincing older established luxury car buyers of today, but if you go after the younger generation that has the money to spend, you are solidifying your future.
This is a very good point. A lot of other automaker's would do well to have good marketing like this.
Old 09-03-08, 05:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ugly kit. But I'm assuming the cheaper turbo model will be the popular choice among tuners. Whats the stock power figures?
Old 09-03-08, 06:04 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed

very much agree

i think that the coupe and sedan should have different names though, they don't seem similar enough to be the same model
Old 09-03-08, 06:20 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

daaamn thats crazy. i would have never thought hyundai would be a car i would actually WANT to buy
Old 09-03-08, 06:54 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the kit and wheels. I Want it now!!
Old 09-03-08, 09:28 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

sweet huyndai and i hope toyco has an answer in the works with the rwd AE86 replacement.....btw> I'll be at SEMA this year with my buds so will check this out first hand to see what they have done!
Old 09-03-08, 10:34 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by shern; 09-03-08 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 11:24 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice....but HKS needs to bring the r32 drag racer back here for the sema show.
Old 09-03-08, 11:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is wonderful, RWD to boot. I can't even begin to consider the rest of the FWD coupes.

To think I lust after a Hyundai.....
I have to agree. I think we are going to need to watch them. They rolling out some pretty promising stuff. Luxury sedans to g35 competetors. I remeber the days of seeing the Excels buring more oil than gas, but now look at the stuff they putting out. I wonder what the reliability is like today
Old 09-04-08, 12:09 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

crazy ride, i think HKS did a good job on this baby, interesting to see what numbers ti will be churning out
Old 09-04-08, 12:13 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

"We've designed Genesis Coupe from the start to be tuner-friendly," said John Krafcik, vice president, Product Development and Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motor America. "Partnering with an industry leader like HKS is a terrific way for us to stretch the performance envelope of Genesis Coupe."
This attitude sums up why Hyundai "gets it." It will move the industry in the direction it needs to go, unlike Honda and Toyota who have given up on the tuning industry. Kudos to the South Koreans.

Quick Reply: Hyundai, HKS Team Up On Genesis Coupe for SEMA