Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB C300 Sport 4matic vs. '09 Audi A4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 10:25 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB C300 Sport 4matic vs. '09 Audi A4 2.0T

What do you guys think? I like the styling on both but for the A4 the base looks like **** while the C300 still looks decent. Which one do you guys think is the better vehicle? I'm trying to help someone decide between these two and at first I was rooting for the A4 but after hearing/seeing some not so great things about the A4 I've been having second thoughts. Not a deal breaker, but just for consideration the A42.0T doesn't even come with chrome exhaust tips, which is not a huge deal but is a bit of a scumbag-like cost cutting measure for a 40k car. Let me know what you guys/girls think. Oh, and it's a girl that will be buying.
Old 09-04-08, 10:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Is the 2.0T with the quattro? If so, I prefer quattro system over the 4matic. If not, does she need the awd?
Old 09-04-08, 10:53 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

yes the base 09 a4 looks like crap, 16 inch wheels look gay, about the chrome, for the most part audi does not chrome stuff cept for the badges, wheels are usually painted and exhaust's are brushed... i'm not a fan of the merc interiors till you get to the upper echelon cars, another thing is awd vs rwd, what about ny winters? awd is a winner there. the new mmi system in the a4 looks cool. the 2.0 is a great engine, its been out for awhile and most of the kinks have been taken care of, good hp/tq and mpg.
Old 09-04-08, 11:25 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Given the choice I'd go with the '09 A4.

I had an A4 for 8 years before I got my IS. A4 was a great drivers car, nice interior and quattro is awesome.

In reading about both these new versions of the cars I don't see anything that would change my opinion. The Merc styling and interior just leaves me cold.

Good luck

TripleL
Old 09-04-08, 11:32 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Im biased towards a4's and tunability of the 2.0t is amazing 270hp just from 2k in boltons most audi enthusiasts dong care about stock wheals they go get rs4 replicas for dirt cheep
Old 09-04-08, 12:37 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

She doesn't need AWD, but would probably prefer it, and the 2.0T would be the quattro. I agree with you on the MB interior, I do like the exterior styling though for the C class sport. I really like the Audi, the only thing that irks me about the new A4 are the lengths audi went to cut costs and the pricing. Exhaust tips don't have to be chrome , just so long as they don't look like crap. Otherwise, the 09 A4 is nice.
Old 09-05-08, 01:40 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
What do you guys think? I like the styling on both but for the A4 the base looks like **** while the C300 still looks decent. Which one do you guys think is the better vehicle? I'm trying to help someone decide between these two and at first I was rooting for the A4 but after hearing/seeing some not so great things about the A4 I've been having second thoughts. Not a deal breaker, but just for consideration the A42.0T doesn't even come with chrome exhaust tips, which is not a huge deal but is a bit of a scumbag-like cost cutting measure for a 40k car. Let me know what you guys/girls think. Oh, and it's a girl that will be buying.
A "$40,000" A4 would be a 3.2L VR6 Prestige model, standard with 505watt Bang and Olufsen audio and adaptive Bi-Xenon lighting w/ LED running lights. There's nothing cheap looking about that car, sorry.

Old 09-05-08, 05:43 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Well IS's C's and 3's are pretty expensive as well
Old 09-05-08, 06:50 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
A "$40,000" A4 would be a 3.2L VR6 Prestige model, standard with 505watt Bang and Olufsen audio and adaptive Bi-Xenon lighting w/ LED running lights. There's nothing cheap looking about that car, sorry.

If you can get that car for $40K as listed in your description BUY IT TODAY!!! Configurator and sales quotes for same accessories would run $45-$47K, a main reason that totally pushed me away from an A4 purchase. I think you'll be surprised if you go the A4 route what you will wind up paying... C300s are steeply discounted right now... good luck!
Old 09-05-08, 07:27 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
If you can get that car for $40K as listed in your description BUY IT TODAY!!! Configurator and sales quotes for same accessories would run $45-$47K, a main reason that totally pushed me away from an A4 purchase. I think you'll be surprised if you go the A4 route what you will wind up paying... C300s are steeply discounted right now... good luck!
ya the config is off by a bit, but the dealer that i work for has an 09' a4 3.2 cold weather pkg xenon's ect... bluetooth ipod. s line package going for 42k no bang olufsen, that cost a pretty penny.
Old 09-05-08, 07:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by audi2nr
ya the config is off by a bit, but the dealer that i work for has an 09' a4 3.2 cold weather pkg xenon's ect... bluetooth ipod. s line package going for 42k no bang olufsen, that cost a pretty penny.
That car, minus wheel upgrade & w/ AWD & Bang, is $48K in Milwaukee WI

Last edited by rdgdawg; 09-05-08 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 10:14 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Is the 2.0T with the quattro? If so, I prefer quattro system over the 4matic. If not, does she need the awd?
There was an article not too long ago in a German car magazine that tested XI and 4Matic against Quattro. The results were pretty interesting. 4Matic is without doubt superior to Quattro.

The overall results were basically like this:

1st Place: Quattro / 4Matic (tie)
2nd Place: XI

Old 09-05-08, 01:05 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
You are correct my sir. The new A4s are in hot demand (as per my Audi dealer at least). Honestly for the price of the car, I'd be looking at a $38K loaded Passat CC. Still an Audi as far as I'm concerned

And I agree with the base non Xenon models looking a little flabby.
Old 09-05-08, 01:31 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

A little off topic but which model C300 has the * on the rear. C300*
Old 09-05-08, 01:40 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
There was an article not too long ago in a German car magazine that tested XI and 4Matic against Quattro. The results were pretty interesting. 4Matic is without doubt superior to Quattro.

The overall results were basically like this:

1st Place: Quattro / 4Matic (tie)
2nd Place: XI

Thanks for the info, it's good to know

Quick Reply: MB C300 Sport 4matic vs. '09 Audi A4 2.0T