Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AWD Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 11:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
You should be with the GS. If you put a decent set of snow tires or even all seasons, you won't have a problem in the snow. You also should realize that there are only a handful of days every year where you'll actually have to drive through the snow, if you live in or near any major city, the roads get cleared pretty quickly. I think AWD is overrated
Maybe when you live in MA, and you know how to drive in the snow. I don't think I would agree with that for someone new to snow driving...
Old 09-08-08, 12:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
In about a years time, chances are I'll be moving to a northeastern state. Currently, I have a RWD GS4 and am not sure as to how it will do in the snow and funk that comes along with winters in the north east. I've been starting to glance around at sedans with AWD and am starting to weigh my options for a new vehicle. I've looked at the Lexus options (IS, GS, and RX) and I'm digging the IS250AWD as it might be more in my price range and size range than the others. What other options do you folks think would be viable in terms of price, size, and drivetrain? Also, I've never driven in the snow, so I don't know what to expect. I don't expect to be doing much driving in the snow, but I have a feeling that it's going to happen eventually.

Here are some specifics:
Price Range: $25-30k
Size: At least a sedan (maybe even a small SUV)
Has to be AWD!

Thoughts?
Under $30K with AWD--does it have to be new? If so, I think you are limted to a Subie or RAV4/CRV type car.

Pre-owned, you could go G53x, A4, MB C Class 4Matic, BMW 328/330 xi, Volvo S40 or S60, VW Passat 4 Motion. Maybe you can get your hands on a VW R32.

If you are not accustomed to snow driving, RWD with snows will be trial by fire. Even AWD will be dicey if you drive with the thinking that you are invincible.
Old 09-08-08, 12:32 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Under $30K with AWD--does it have to be new? If so, I think you are limted to a Subie or RAV4/CRV type car.

Pre-owned, you could go G53x, A4, MB C Class 4Matic, BMW 328/330 xi, Volvo S40 or S60, VW Passat 4 Motion. Maybe you can get your hands on a VW R32.

If you are not accustomed to snow driving, RWD with snows will be trial by fire. Even AWD will be dicey if you drive with the thinking that you are invincible.

Nope... doesn't have to be new. I'd rather go pre-owned considering where I might end up. As for power, it's really not gonna matter as it will be doing mostly city driving and not really need to go super fast from light to light. I like those options you threw out there... all seem to be rather viable. Just gotta look into the reliability factor now...

Oh... and as for the snow driving... I'm a total newb. The last time I was anywhere NEAR snow was 1987... and I was 6.
Old 09-08-08, 01:07 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I grew up with truly awful RWD cars in Chicago in the 60s and no, we didn't just close the doors in winter and not go outside. You can drive them and get around. Even higher horsepower cars with fat tires. But the question is why on earth would you want to? Depending on exactly the location in the northeast and how nasty the winters will be, AWD with ground clearance is just going to make life a lot better and isn't that the point? And the AWD won't eliminate the need for snow tires and/or chains if you are really somewhere bad and can't hole up for the hours needed for the worst to pass.

When I take my GS up to Tahoe in the winter, I have chains but I know I am going to have to be careful and not be terminally stupid and go up in a blizzard. Of course even the AWD morons who think that you can't get stuck with AWD are clueless as to the conditions where AWD isn't going to save you and are usually in the majority for needing help to get out according to the CHP. But I can pick and choose when to go up and I have well cleared freeway and it is a getaway weekend not day to day living. All the usual suspects have been named already but if a car like vehicle is the desired preference, I figure you are going to be hard pressed to get better than a Subie at this price point.

And if you are talking about something for the snow, I think there is good reason to get something used. Often municipalities are going to put down some really awful stuff on the road and it is going to rip the daylights out of your car's paint. Just cause you can afford an AWD Porsche doesn't mean you aren't dumber than dirt for driving it on a cinder/sand/salt covered road.
Old 09-08-08, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
I grew up with truly awful RWD cars in Chicago in the 60s and no, we didn't just close the doors in winter and not go outside. You can drive them and get around. Even higher horsepower cars with fat tires. But the question is why on earth would you want to? Depending on exactly the location in the northeast and how nasty the winters will be, AWD with ground clearance is just going to make life a lot better and isn't that the point? And the AWD won't eliminate the need for snow tires and/or chains if you are really somewhere bad and can't hole up for the hours needed for the worst to pass.
Exactly. Yes, we did manage to drive the RWD cars of 40 years ago in the snow, and got around, but it was a question of HOW we got around (poorly). FWD and AWD cars were developed for many reasons......traction was one of them.

My AWD Outback, with standard factory all-season tires, has gone through as much 9" of deep snow, 5 solid inches of sleet (ice pellets), and thick grainy ice without once crying for snow tires or chains. Of course, nothing will give you traction on sheer, glare black ice short of studs or chains.

Even higher horsepower cars with fat tires.
Up to a point. Corvettes and Vipers are almost impossible in the snow.
Old 09-08-08, 11:22 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would only add that while driving a rwd car is certainly more exciting vs an awd vehicle as I like to slide a tad, I thoroughly enjoy my RL through the same 30+ mile mountain canyon drive that I have taken all of my others cars through and the awd in this car works fantastic. I can also say that it really does instill a lot of confidence while driving at the limit and pretty cool to watch the torque transfer gauge on the dash move around as the computer is working to keep me on the road.

I came close to losing it once one early morning in my 928 as a wet spot came up on the apex. The car is neutral but snaps quickly. Not an issue in the RL as it transfers the torque from side to side, front to rear. All seamless. It just works. Have not driving it in the snow so no comment there.

I never cared much for the RL before but for the money I could not find anything I liked better and the car certainly grew on me and I now thoroughly enjoy the car. Lexus just did not offer anything similar, especially for the price.

Something to look at.
It really depends on what you are looking for and AWD appears to be at the top of your list.

Owning the GX for some time made us really appreciate the AWD setup which leaned our decision towards the RL.

Some pics of a nice RL. A 2006 with tech package which has every luxury item you would want in the cockpit for under 30k. Closer to 25k with some miles.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-09-08 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 11:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I never cared much for the RL before but for the money I could not find anything I liked better and the car certainly grew on me and I now thoroughly enjoy the car. Lexus just did not offer anything similar, especially for the price.
We'll have to see what the new LS460 AWD is like, but in general, I agree with you. The RL I reviewed was a car that was so good, inside and out, I'd rate it as one of my All Time Ten Best.

Some pics of a nice RL. A 2006 with tech package which has every luxury item you would want in the cockpit for under 30k. Closer to 25k with some miles.
Which one is yours..........the black one, white one, or neither?
Old 09-09-08, 01:14 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Neither, still need to bolt up a few more things before my pics go out. But I do want to extend a thank you as I believe it was one of your post that had the accolades on the RL and so we went back and forth between the RL and so many other cars out there from BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc...
Old 09-09-08, 07:37 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Ahh, the RL suggestion came out before I could suggest it. I agree with the above posts. A used certified RL is a fantastic deal.