Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS vs S class

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 11:36 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have to disagree. Analog clocks are not only easier to read at a glance, but, if done correctly, are also a whole lot classier than digital clocks. Notice the success of analog-clock trademarks in many upmarket vehicles. Infiniti, for example, considers them a necessary part of their interiors.
I completely disagree. I had a 03 Infiniti G35 sedan before my IS, and the G had an analog clock. I almost could never know what time it was. Digital clock is the fastest way to read. Remember, some analog clock doesn't even have the 12 marks, only 12, 3, 6, and 9 marks there, very unclear. Can you accurately tell if it was 7:40 or 8:40 after half a second of a peek? You sure can from a digital clock. As far as analog clock being classier, I somehow agree. But being classier also implies that it looks older and antique.
Old 09-12-08, 11:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I completely disagree. I had a 03 Infiniti G35 sedan before my IS, and the G had an analog clock. I almost could never know what time it was. Digital clock is the fastest way to read. Remember, some analog clock doesn't even have the 12 marks, only 12, 3, 6, and 9 marks there, very unclear. Can you accurately tell if it was 7:40 or 8:40 after half a second of a peek? You sure can from a digital clock. As far as analog clock being classier, I somehow agree. But being classier also implies that it looks older and antique.
amen and amen, and amen
Old 09-12-08, 12:01 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wonder why analog watches are still more popular.
Analog watches are more popular because there are more variations in styling it could offer than digital clock. And many kids' watches are digital therefore adults don't want their watches to look like kid's or young men's. And when you are walking or sitting you have time to slowly read the needles, whether there are clear numeric marks on the watch or not. But when you are driving, you couldn't afford to have two or three seconds to squint at the clock. And there is no doubt many more digital clocks in vehicles than analog ones. And nobody wonder why is that?

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 09-12-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 12:12 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Some of the posts in this thread are just ridiculous. A close friend of mine had a 2007 S550, complete with all of the option packages. The person who mentioned that they are cheap cars that have poor reliability just to get you back to the dealer is a complete moron, sorry. This car is quite possibly one of the best put together cars in the world. Everything, everything is designed to the absolute highest standards. The rear seats exude elegance. They are fully powered, cooled, heated, have power sunshades, and a huge panorama roof. This is a classy car with not just classy features, but brilliantly designed ones. Between the nightvision and the endless amount of luxury options, this car goes beyond what the LS offers - It offers timeless Mercedes Benz class with Mercedes-Benz quality. I have never been a fan of the previous generation S-Class, but this car IS the class-benchmark for everything from the interior design to safety. You can look at all the pictures online you want and call the dashboard "minivan-like", but frankly, until you go drive one and sit in the drives seat, you really don't have a clue. It is a truely brilliant car. I have NOT driven the current generation Lexus LS, but the last generation I drove felt more like a boat than a world class Luxury sedan. The person who mentioned not carying about handling in this price range is so off base I don't even know where to start. In this price and class range, every facet of the car should be world class, and that includes the handling. Paying these prices doesn't mean forgetting about driving dynamics and focusing soley on a poorly implemented self-parking feature (which is found on $25K volkswagens FYI). The current generation LS has been targeted by every automotive publication for its floaty steering and boring nature, so even though it may be a superbly built car, it is not entirely the same package that the Germans offer. And no, the LS600 is not in the same leauge as the V12s.

This is a truely beautifully built car and anyone who even hints otherwise is either very ignorant or just has a big bias. Give respect where it is due. The Lexus LS is a wonderful car, I'll be the first in line to say, but don't undervalue the competition simply becuase you have a bias.

You know what happend to this Mercedes? A woman on her cell phone crossed through and intersection and collided into the car, at 40mph, as my friend was sitting at a stoplight. The four people inside the S550 walked away without injury. All of the airbags went off, the doors unlocked, the seats went upright, the hazards activated, teleaid called the police. They said: "Oh, you're in a German car - no wonder your fine". The woman went to the hospital with some broken ribs, she was in a Ford Expedition. He is now back to driving a 750iL. The car is very nice as well, not as luxurious as the Mercedes, but I still feel that it is a superior driving car. BMWs always are. Point is, these are superbly built and engineered cars, some of the safest in their class - The S-class always has been.
No doubt this generation of S-class is the benchmark, the best of the best of the best in class. I love it once it came out. Wish Mercede-Benz offer a V6 engine version of it like S350 and price it in the seventies haha, but still I couldn't afford one. And it would look like my father's car anyway.

S-class, SL-class, and C-class are my favorite Mercedes-Benz vehicles in the current lineup.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 09-12-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 12:42 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Digital - $20

Analog - $11,000,000

Old 09-12-08, 01:04 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

The S class should feel a notch higher than the LS. I mean, the S550's MSRP is $24,000 more (38% more) than the LS460. That's a pretty big difference.

BTW, anyone know what kind of discount off MSRP you can typically get on an S550 these days? As has been mentioned, you can get $10,000 off MSRP on an LS460.
Old 09-12-08, 01:43 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
Digital - $20

Analog - $11,000,000

Your analog watch is more expensive than the S-class. I would take the S-class plus the LS and keep the change and wears the digital watch all my life.
Old 09-12-08, 03:34 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy101
BTW, anyone know what kind of discount off MSRP you can typically get on an S550 these days? As has been mentioned, you can get $10,000 off MSRP on an LS460.
S550's can be had with 8-10K discounts as well.
Old 09-12-08, 03:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfection
S550's can be had with 8-10K discounts as well.
and if you look at leases, s class could be had for the same price as the ls460, if not cheaper
Old 09-12-08, 06:29 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wonder why analog watches are still more popular.
Watches in general are going the way of the dinosaur. Young people these
days don't even carry a watch anymore. It's all about Blackberries, iPhones,
etc. The concept of a watch is becoming obsolete.

As for the cars, I don't even want to know it's there. Maybe they can
integrate it into the NAV like the scores in a football game or a toolbar
in the OS.
Old 09-12-08, 06:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^ not me saved up a whole summer and didnt buy anything to get a rolex, call me stupid but i feel that no matter how old you are, if you work for it, u can use it. And the only cars with analog clocks should be cars like rolls royce or bentely
Old 09-12-08, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Watches in general are going the way of the dinosaur. Young people these days don't even carry a watch anymore. It's all about Blackberries, iPhones, etc. The concept of a watch is becoming obsolete.
I agree with you about the concept of a watch being kind of irrelevant now, but you must have missed the ENDLESS number of threads about very expensive watches on this forum!

People who buy expensive watches appreciate the craftsmanship and the style which is why I think a LUXURY CAR is exactly the right place for a 'fancy' clock.

Or I've got another idea... take out the clock altogether and make the voice recognition know "what's the damn time?"
Old 09-12-08, 10:27 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I have not worn a watch in the last 8 years. No need. I have an ipod, phone, clock in my truck, work clocks etc that I have no need for one.

in the OS
Very important that a car has its own clock. I remember GM cars used to have the clocks in the radio. One of my favorite things about Toyota/Lexus vehicles is that they have their own dedicated clock.
Old 09-14-08, 08:01 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes b/c no one else has made any sense in this thread
Well I did see someone write "i wouldnt buy a bmw or a mercedes, i would lease those car cuz in 3 years they break down"

Old 09-15-08, 05:31 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

in the OS.
since when is the s class marketed to the young?

Quick Reply: LS vs S class