Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS vs S class

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 10:22 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
There are apparently more variations of Mercedes-Benz vehicle in their lineup, but what does it prove?
This simply means MB offers choices to their customers. A LOT of choices. They offer the kind of cars that not every car makers offer so if you want a certain kind of luxury cars... like, V12, supercharged, twin turbos, sedan, coupe, convertible, ect and ect.. There are only a few dealerships carry and Lexus is not one of them.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You forgot to mention V-6 models and diesel models.

I did not forget. I said toys and the ones you mentioned are not toys.

Lexus is only 20 years young, to my point, its quite remarkable they are even mentioned in the same breathe as BMW and Benz.

There is no doubt here

Its even more remarkable considering they are 4th in sales worldwide with a limited lineup, one diesel, their only 4 cylinder, and no cute utes or cute mini like cars.

On the flipside
C220 hatch
A class
B class
S 350
SL 350
Diesels

Benz's product lineup is VAST in comparison, from the bottom where Lexus does not compete to the top where Lexus also does not compete.

That exactly is the problem. People do not care about the lower line up. When people think of performance and luxury segments, they associate with the upper line up and Lexus simply just don't have the goods to deliver. They are starting one step in the right direction by offering the 600h and IS-F. Now bring on that damn LF-A and they will have a brighter future.
In an interview in Top Gear (where they loved the 600hL) the chief engineer explained they could have done a V-12 but they wanted to show how hybrid technology can be the best of both worlds and be the Halo to hybrids for any company.

Would it have been nice to have a Lexus V-12? Yup. However we all know Lexus won't build cars that sell in tiny amounts.

Maybe many of you missed it but BMW will NOT have a V-12 in their next 7 series.
So it looks like again, Lexus management knew where the market was going.

They consulted with Acura I am sure.

You know I don't care about counting cylinders. What really matter here is the power and torque an engine puts out whether it's powered by 6,8,12 or 16 cyls and supercharged, turbocharged, batteries, donkeys or olive oil...

Lexus has 3 hybrids now and a fourth coming, Benz has none. Benz has tons of AMG cars, Lexus has one competitor.

Different philosophies here.

Last edited by newr; 09-08-08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 10:32 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
This simply means MB offers choices to their customers. A LOT of choices. They offer the kind of cars that not every car makers offer so if you want a certain kind of luxury cars... like, V12, supercharged, twin turbos, sedan, coupe, convertible, ect and ect.. There are only a few dealerships carry and Lexus is not one of them.
+ 1 for your entire post

Has it accured to anyone that actual buyers in this price range could care less about MPG making Hybrid options a huge hunk of useless weight.
Old 09-08-08, 10:48 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it all comes down to personal preference. There arn't too many people driving a LS460, 600h, or 460L who can't aford one of the S models.

I personally think that the S class looks worse than the CLS class. I have thought the LS460 has looked beautiful since it came out! I think it looks far better than the S class.
But, the S class looks good too.
Old 09-08-08, 11:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

BUT, Lexus has taken a turn - the LS460 interior shows clear signs of 'cost accounting' vs. the LS430 interior. The LS430 interior is soft and rich while the LS460 looks busy and quick plasticky.

Lexus needs a SERIOUS upgrade to the LS interior to remain competitive. The LS is a GREAT car. Putting the money difference aside, the S class is a GREATER car though
And this what I noticed between the two cars and is why I started this thread.

the LS400 and LS430 were STUNNING ATTACKS on the BMW/MB flagships. Stunning in interior (and LS400 blew away the S and 7 series interiors at the time) and refinement.
I think the 2004-2006 LS430 is best ever achievment on Lexus record. While I do like the original LS400 I think the greatest Lexus ever created was the LS430 for 04-06. I think the drag co of the LS430 was as low at .25 with the optional suspension.

The LS430 won the Car and Driver comparo of flagships in 2003, Motor Trend refered to it as the benchmark and Consumer Reporst loved it.

Now the LS460 finished dead last in the Car and Driver Comparo, Motor Trend no longer thinks its the benchmark...not sure what CR claims but I think it did do very well.

Last edited by pagemaster; 09-08-08 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 11:15 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The LF-A, well, we don't know exactly what will happen with it, but to go from the $110K LS600hL flagship to potentially a $200K+ exotic carbon fiber sports car also seems odd. I don't see how the LF-A helps Lexus at all really
I would like to see Lexus move the LS way up upscale and in prestige and maybe move the GS into the pricepoint of the current LS. Perhaps even move the ES to a RWD Avalon sized Lexus with an option 4.3 v8. Now that would be nice!
Old 09-08-08, 11:35 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
move the GS into the pricepoint of the current LS.
that idea would be a failure.

it already sells badly. that would make more people turn to the germans

GS does not command that price. it is best in class at nothing
Old 09-08-08, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

true it'd be horrible idea to make gs that expensive, plain stupid

but gs best in class at nothing? guess you didn't read my reply to your post in 3gs forum
Old 09-08-08, 11:53 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack

I am saying move it into that price point but make it a much much better car.
Old 09-09-08, 12:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I would like to see Lexus move the LS way up upscale and in prestige and maybe move the GS into the pricepoint of the current LS. Perhaps even move the ES to a RWD Avalon sized Lexus with an option 4.3 v8. Now that would be nice!
How much more do you want the LS to move up? Hybrid versions are already well over 100K. The last one I looked in the showroom (no, I'm not buying one) was 117K.
Old 09-09-08, 12:38 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How much more do you want the LS to move up? Hybrid versions are already well over 100K. The last one I looked in the showroom (no, I'm not buying one) was 117K.
I don't think the hybrid LS600h is worth the asking price. I think the interior is not as up to par as other $100k cars. I would like to see the LS move up to the $100k starting price and have the best interior material and design on the market.
Old 09-09-08, 02:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
wow!
how the hell can Lexus even compete let alone be in the same league? just a few examples of the toys MB offers to their customers.

S550
S600
S63
S65
C63
E63 Sedan + Wagon
G500
G55
SL550
SL600
SLK55
SL63
SL65
CLK63
CL550
CL600
CL63
CL65
CLS550
CLS63
SLR
ML63
Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Forgot to mention the Black Series CLK63 and SL
Also the Mercedes R500 & R63AMG.. Something for everyone at the tri-star
Old 09-09-08, 03:33 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
OK, thanks for pointing that out-I take my words back. So back in 97 that the maybach had the raised trunk. It's that Bangle got the credit/criticism

Well, here's the interior from previous posts. With that said, I won't comment again

Automotive design, both exterior and interior wise, doesn't happen overnight. These things take years to be developed and perfected. I honestly don't think Mercedes copied the BMW 7er interior in that regard. More likely both companies designed these interiors based on market research feedback. People wanted something classy, yet ergonomically sound and this is how those interiors came about.

Yes, I like to give the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-09-08, 03:43 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Look at how HARD the competition has it. They CANNOT crack this market.
A8-a superb vehicle, sells well in Europe b/c of offering smaller engines, sells extremely poorly in America
Smaller engines in Europe make more sense for these cars. In fact, most people who buy these cars in Europe buy the engine which suits their needs. Americans don't have a choice. They have to buy the thirsty V8 even though they will 90% of the time most likely never make use of the power. Think of all the fuel we could be saving if consumers had the choice of ordering the engine that would suit their needs. Some people want a V8 solely for prestige or bragging rights. Other consumers, however, would like to have a smaller engine available because of better gas mileage and because they realize they don't need the power. Europeans seem to understand this. Americans still think "luxury car = V8 at all costs". But why?

XJ- another superb vehicle, that doesn't sell well anywhere, even with a new diesel in Europe:
Adding smaller engines to a premium car in Europe will not automatically equal success. Jaguar has a very thin dealer network throughout Europe. The same goes for Lexus.
Old 09-09-08, 03:48 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The comparison or review you listed here was done by a German magazine or European of some sort isn't it? I can't completely trust it then.
Oh please, don't give me that.

I can read German and the review was pretty straightforward and downright honest. The LS received credit where credit was due. Click on the link and look at the other criteria where the LS received higher marks than the BMW or Mercedes.

There have been a number of European reviews from Germany, Britain and France which seem to comment on the fact that when the LS rides over rougher roads, the suspension doesn't fully impress. When a number of different reviews mention this, there's bound to be a reason behind it. I've never read about this in an American publication, almost as if they only drive it over smooth roads. I don't know, but this is an observation.

I'd be interested in reading a Japanese review of the LS vs the Europeans, honestly translated of course.
Old 09-09-08, 03:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Frankly, these 6.2L V8 or 6.0L V12 twin turbo engines are not environmental friendly, unlike the hybrid vehicles that Lexus has. And Mercedes-Benz is bebind Lexus or even Honda in the hybrid vehicles. Also, cars are not all about speed or top speed or performance, it is also about other criteria, and one important criteria is reliability, which Benz is far behind Lexus according several reports.
First off, Mercedes doesn't market their V12 or AMG engines as environmentally friendly motors. Second, these are low volume models. Heck, Toyota does more damage to the environment with the amount of V8 Landcruisers they sell in the US and elsewhere than Mercedes does with their S600s etc. - literally (literally).

Lexus hybrids to me are 50% truth and 50% lies. Hybrids are efficient in the city, and that's basically it. Your general Lexus hybrid is overloaded with a heavy electric motor and heavy batteries. These things add weight and decrease the efficiency of the gasoline engine on certain roads or driving situations. I've never been fully convinced by Lexus hybrids. The Prius is the best hybrid by far at the moment, but the Lexus hybrids, to me, are nothing but overhyped marketing gimmicks. I've found that most people I talk to think hybrids are fuel-efficient. When I ask them why, they reply, "Because it's a hybrid."

The newest S class has been very reliable according to most consumer surveys. I recently found a UK Mercedes owners survey and the owners of the newest C, E and S classes were delighted with their cars.

Quick Reply: LS vs S class