Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS vs S class

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 10:59 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS vs S class

Well here it is folks. I am a huge to Toyota fan but the Mercedes S class is the benchmark plain and simple for flagship luxury sedans.

Wow! What a elegant and nice looking vehicle. The S450 4matic in red just screams luxury and prestige.

While I do like the Lexus LS and the fact that it can be had in short wheel base and long wheel base. It is more the design of S class that stands out. Kind of makes the S class in a class just above the LS.

What is also impressive is the V12 model. Lexus just can't compete with this. Yes I know there is the hybrid LS600h but there is replacement for displacement. 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds is amazing for such a large car.

I like the interior of the LS very much...but the S class just simply takes it to a new level with design, materials and details.

While I do respect the LS and the materials, build quality and reliability...While the LS feels like an entry level flagship, the S class steps into a league reserved for Audi A8 and BMW 750. Sorry LS you are good actually very good but your just not in the uber luxury car league just yet. .
Old 09-07-08, 11:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I basically agree. Both great cars, but in this case you basically get what you pay for.
Old 09-07-08, 11:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Are you in the market for one?

If I am buying, I'd go with LS. If I am leasing, S class.
Old 09-07-08, 11:29 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd go with LS on the strength that I don't see much of them on the road over here

but both are great cars
Old 09-08-08, 12:17 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got both 04 ls430 and 07 s550 in my drive way... the s550 is a good car. it is fast and handle well for its size.. the ls430 is comfortable but it is not as exciting as the s550.. both great car you get what you pay for...just remember a loaded s550 cost a lot more the LS=)
Old 09-08-08, 04:39 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

When you reach this class of automobiles, this level, the cars that compete here have few faults. They're all perfect and of the highest standards, be it build quality, comfort, refinement, safety etc.

I myself am a big S class fan (especially the W126) but I can also see that the Lexus LS, Audi A8, Jaguar XJ and the new BMW 7 series are all excellent cars. Basically, when people shop for a car in this class, I think it mainly comes down to brand loyalty. It has to. I mean I would have a very hard time deciding between an S, A8, LS, XJ or 7 series, since they're all excellent vehicles with more strengths than weaknesses.
Old 09-08-08, 06:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Well here it is folks. I am a huge to Toyota fan but the Mercedes S class is the benchmark plain and simple for flagship luxury sedans.

Wow! What a elegant and nice looking vehicle. The S450 4matic in red just screams luxury and prestige.

While I do like the Lexus LS and the fact that it can be had in short wheel base and long wheel base. It is more the design of S class that stands out. Kind of makes the S class in a class just above the LS.

What is also impressive is the V12 model. Lexus just can't compete with this. Yes I know there is the hybrid LS600h but there is replacement for displacement. 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds is amazing for such a large car.

I like the interior of the LS very much...but the S class just simply takes it to a new level with design, materials and details.

While I do respect the LS and the materials, build quality and reliability...While the LS feels like an entry level flagship, the S class steps into a league reserved for Audi A8 and BMW 750. Sorry LS you are good actually very good but your just not in the uber luxury car league just yet. .
Why you continue to post nothing but critical comments and threads about Lexus on a LEXUS FORUM, I will never know but none the less...

I am going to agree with what DustinV said. Once you get to this class of car it just comes down to what you personally are looking for, because there are certainly no bad cars. I would be inclined to choose the LS because I like the style of the interior more than any of the competition, the fuel efficient V8, smooth ride, and Lexus quality of service. I would not be buying a 4,000lb full size luxury sedan to go canyon carving, so handling is really a moot point IMO.

I can appreciate that the S is a bit more aggressive looking from the outside, but I do not care for Mercedes new dash design as seen in the S, CL, and others...it looks too much like a minivan to me. Additionally, I just cannot justify the price difference in the S over an LS, and am still afraid of Mercedes reliability.

You mention that Lexus cannot compete with the S600...well additionally let's make sure that we give everyone the credit that they deserve- Mercedes cannot compete with the LS 600hL. There is no equal to the LS hybrid with AWD, 440hp, and the ability to still return 24+mpg.

To each, his own...but I strongly disagree with your statement about the LS being a class below the other cars you mentioned. I must say that I don't think you have driven one (or either) or spent any considerable time inside of one, to make a comment such as that.
Old 09-08-08, 06:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the new S class.. Merc really did a brilliant job on this car. This car in AMG flavor is just a terror I would take the S63 AMG along with the
V10 Audi S8 & the TTV8 Alpina B7 when I retire lol...
Old 09-08-08, 07:20 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

I really like the current LS, but there's just something about the S that makes it feel like a notch above...
Old 09-08-08, 09:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Like most members here, I love all car makers so I'm not biased towards lexus.
I like the old design of the w220, despite their crappy quality. Doesn't even compared to Lexus.
I just lost "respect" for MB when they totally ripped off BMW's 7 interior Some can say the 7's interior is ugly, but at least it's bmw and MB decide to borrow it, along with the bangle trunk

However, for AMGs, it's automatic Diplomatic Immunity

While I do respect the LS and the materials, build quality and reliability...While the LS feels like an entry level flagship, the S class steps into a league reserved for Audi A8 and BMW 750.
Wow, I won't even comment.
That is your opinion so you're entitled to it.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-08-08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 10:04 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Well here it is folks. I am a huge to Toyota fan but...
Yeah, and I'm Big Foot

I stopped reading right there...
Old 09-08-08, 10:12 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Why you continue to post nothing but critical comments and threads about Lexus on a LEXUS FORUM, I will never know but none the less...

I am going to agree with what DustinV said. Once you get to this class of car it just comes down to what you personally are looking for, because there are certainly no bad cars. I would be inclined to choose the LS because I like the style of the interior more than any of the competition, the fuel efficient V8, smooth ride, and Lexus quality of service. I would not be buying a 4,000lb full size luxury sedan to go canyon carving, so handling is really a moot point IMO.

I can appreciate that the S is a bit more aggressive looking from the outside, but I do not care for Mercedes new dash design as seen in the S, CL, and others...it looks too much like a minivan to me. Additionally, I just cannot justify the price difference in the S over an LS, and am still afraid of Mercedes reliability.

You mention that Lexus cannot compete with the S600...well additionally let's make sure that we give everyone the credit that they deserve- Mercedes cannot compete with the LS 600hL. There is no equal to the LS hybrid with AWD, 440hp, and the ability to still return 24+mpg.

To each, his own...but I strongly disagree with your statement about the LS being a class below the other cars you mentioned. I must say that I don't think you have driven one (or either) or spent any considerable time inside of one, to make a comment such as that.
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
While I do respect the LS and the materials, build quality and reliability...While the LS feels like an entry level flagship, the S class steps into a league reserved for Audi A8 and BMW 750.

Wow, I won't even comment.
That is your opinion so you're entitled to it.
I was going to make my own comment, but these two said it well enough first.

I don't get you pagemaster. From what I can tell, you don't own a Lex (or a Toy for that matter) perhaps you work for Chrysler I don't know. I do know CL is one of the best forums around & perhaps that is why you joined us; we are this good partly because of our awseom moderators but also because most of our members aren't consistantly making threads about the sucky-ness of of different cars, gadgets, etc.

Every time I see one of your posts/threads it says something about how Lexus isn't good enough. Well I have news for you: Lexus IS good enough & they have been for quite some time, but don't take my word for it, do some research of your own (or here's a thought, GO DRIVE ONE AND THEN GO DRIVE THE APPROPRIATE COMPETITION).
Old 09-08-08, 10:31 AM
benxd
Lead Lap

If you think the BMW 7er is in the same league as the LS then you obviously haven't owned one and you're just pulling whatever you're saying out of nowhere. An uber luxury car doesn't have the door vinyl rip after half a year of ownership nor does it have paint chip off its plastic piece in giant flakes. I would know--we had one. The S class is equally horrible with the reliability. You know why Mercedes made it so fast right? So you can hurry your little behind to the dealership before it breaks. I would know--we had one. Thanks but you can go troll elsewhere.
Old 09-08-08, 10:56 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

is this a trolling thread?
Old 09-08-08, 11:30 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This thread is pretty much designed to be contentious on a Lexus forum! Though I personally prefer (in this generation) the S-Class and bought an S600 over an LS600h, both the LS and S class are superb cars and it is very much a matter of personal preference as others have pointed out...

One data point of interest however is that an S600 can actually do 21.5 mpg on the freeway at 70/80 mph. In that sense the fuel economy of the LS600h (as if it matters at this price range) is not a significant advantage as it can not compare with the 510 hp /612 torque of an S600 for more aggressive driving anyway. An often overlooked benefit of a big lazy classic V12 is that it only needs to run in the 1500 - 2000 rpm range on the freeway. Of course if you drive more aggressively (or spend all your time in town) you will use more gas, but it can be considerably more fuel efficient than the official data suggests. (My experience) As always your driving pattern is a key determinant.

Chris

Quick Reply: LS vs S class