Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autobild 14 car handling comparison (including M3 / IS-F)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 03:23 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autobild 14 car handling comparison (including M3 / IS-F)

Hi again,

I found this interesting comparison in the latest Autobild magazine yesterday morning. It's a handling report on 14 randomly selected performance cars. The cars are (in alphabetical order):

This is how they finished in terms of overall characteristics and handling traits ranking:

1st place: Lamborghini Gallardo
2nd place: Porsche 911 4S
3rd place: Audi R8
4th place: Mercedes SL63 AMG
5th place: KTM X-Bow
6th place: Lotus Elise SC
7th place: BMW 135i
8th place: Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X
9th place: BMW M3
10th place: MINI Cooper John Cooper Works
11th place: VW Scirocco 2.0 TFSI
12th place: Lexus IS-F
13th place: BMW X6 50i
14th place: Brabus Smart

Motoreigenschaften = engine characteristics
Getriebe / Schaltung = transmission / shifts
Lenkung = steering
Handling trocken = handling (dry)
Handling nass = handling (wet)
Fahrspaß = fun-to-drive / driving pleasure factor
Bremsen = brakes
Beschleunigung = acceleration
Sound = no idea what this means
NOTE = final grade

In Germany they grade with numbers. A 1+ would be an A+ in the US while a 5- would be an F.

1 = A
2 = B
3 = C
4 = D
5/6 = F

I browsed through the article focusing pretty much only on the IS-F. I just read enough on each car to know the basics. The Gallardo 911 4S and R8 were the best handlers in this comparison in both wet and dry weather. A surprising 4th place was achieved by the new Mercedes SL63 AMG. It is a heavy car yet it is easy to control and has excellent traction even on a wet track. The surprise of this comparison. The Lotus Elise, well, nothing to report here except that it's been outdone by heavier competitors in regards to handling. The BMW 135i shines by itself but when compared to other superior performance cars it clearly has to bow down. It was still ranked as a very capable car. The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X was a great track car but suffered from an unrefined engine a bit wobbly steering feel. The M3 was put further behind by lacking the driving pleasure of some of the other cars tested here and acceptable handling on a wet track. I skipped the Mini Cooper and VW Scirocco. The BMW X6 is a good-handling SUV but compared to the cars here it can't compete. The Brabus Smart was a disaster. It was very fast in a straight line but its track handling characteristics and everything else about it were poor.

Here's the IS-F page. Sorry for the poor quality photo. I am terrible with macro photography.

Basically the IS-F is a good first effort but it doesn't quite come close to the balance of the M3. It doesn't feel as sporty or as capable on the racetrack as its German rival. The steering is a bit vague and the brakes are not as strong as those of the M3. Autobild spoke of the IS-F as a great autobahn cruiser that still has a lot to learn if it wants to compete on the track. The transmission didn't impress the reviewers. It was cited as being a little slow in some instances seemingly searching for the correct gear.

The engine sound is more attractive than the M3s and the IS-F tends to pull away from its BMW rival in straight lines due to a torque advantage.

Some pictures from their online website (article isn't up yet).

Old 09-09-08, 05:27 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

I dont know for how long you have been in Germany, but you will soon realize that a japanese car, or any other non-german car, will never win a test like this.
OK the Lambo ( Audi ) winns in this particular test, but it is unusual.

The test drivers "Als schnelle Luxus-limosine dafür nabezu perfekt" says it all Who buys the IS-F as a track car anyway ?
Old 09-09-08, 05:53 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I would love to know how the 4000+lb SL63 handled better than the Elise, KTM X-Bow and M3
Old 09-09-08, 05:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow.. 1 point separates the Lexus IS-F & BMW X6? What is the X6 doing in this comparo?? That is amazing.. Load them all in the car carrier & deliever to my home please
Old 09-09-08, 06:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
I dont know for how long you have been in Germany, but you will soon realize that a japanese car, or any other non-german car, will never win a test like this.

The test drivers "Als schnelle Luxus-limosine dafür nabezu perfekt" says it all Who buys the IS-F as a track car anyway ?

Sad but very true.
Old 09-09-08, 08:27 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I would love to know how the 4000+lb SL63 handled better than the Elise, KTM X-Bow and M3
seriously.... I almost flipped out.
Old 09-09-08, 08:37 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wtf? Smart ForTwo in the same test as a KTM???
Old 09-09-08, 09:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The motorcycle... Is that a Super Duke?
Old 09-09-08, 09:42 AM
LexFather

Funny this autobild contradicts every review, including Euro ones like CAR/Top Gear and EVO who have given the IS-F 5 stars.

The IS-F in those reviews was said to be TOO hardcore and Road and Track stated it was more track car than road car, which is what most reviews said. They can't believe Lexus made just a focused car.

Now Autobild the IS-F is too soft? WTF? Did they drive the car? The brakes are not as strong as the M3? BMW M cars have never had great brakes, the IS-F brembos are superior, period.

Sigh.........

Old 09-09-08, 10:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now Autobild the IS-F is too soft? WTF? Did they drive the car? The brakes are not as strong as the M3? BMW M cars have never had great brakes, the IS-F brembos are superior, period.

Sigh.........
Put down the mags & drive an M car home skillet. The brakes are fantastic across the lineup.
Old 09-09-08, 10:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Put down the mags & drive an M car home skillet. The brakes are fantastic across the lineup.
Maybe get off Bangles lap and realize the truth "home skillet", M car brakes have never set any standard and are average compared to the competition. You do realize that BMWs do have faults and people can point them out, they are not perfect as some want the world to believe.

Old 09-09-08, 11:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe get off Bangles lap and realize the truth "home skillet", M car brakes have never set any standard and are average compared to the competition. You do realize that BMWs do have faults and people can point them out, they are not perfect as some want the world to believe.
Sorry, the only lap I admire and ride is my girl's No koolaid drinkin for this brotha.. Until BMW or Lexus pays me some serious cheddar, I will remain the same dude. Both are machines .. who cares..??All cars have faults be it Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc. I find no fault in the braking of the M cars from my experience behind the wheel of the E92M3 & E60M5. As far as brakes are concerned, you indicate that the M brakes are "average" compared to the competition. In which regard?
Old 09-09-08, 02:16 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Bond

I've been here for nearly two years and I've seen plenty of comparisons where a Japanese car has won over a German car. In fact I recall reading an article about the Lexus GS450h taking on the Mercedes E350 CGI (direct injection version of the 3.5 V6 with 292-hp, low volume production car, unheard off in the US) and winning. The Golf lost to the Corolla a few weeks ago in another review. This is one reason I like reading Autobild. To me, they're the most objective German car magazine. Automotorundsport is very pro-German in my opinion and experience.
Old 09-09-08, 02:19 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I couldn't believe it myself. I was expecting this car to place really low but the test results apparently speak for themselves. The boys at AMG did their homework properly, apparently. According to this article the wet handling characteristics of the SL63 were superb!

If only I could drive one of these babies to see this for myself, but other reviews of the SL63 AMG have been very positive in regards to its newfound handling characteristics. Apparently, it really does handle well now, better than the older SL55 AMG.

Old 09-09-08, 02:21 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
What is the X6 doing in this comparo?? That is amazing.
Randomly selected performance cars.

This is why we also see the Brabus Smart here.

Quick Reply: Autobild 14 car handling comparison (including M3 / IS-F)