Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Toyota's/Lexus hard to steal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 01:04 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

one of the guys at the 3GS forum got his towed and stripped.

so it's not hard to steal at all.
Old 09-10-08, 02:50 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it gets stolen then you'll be carjacked (for the key) or it'll be loaded onto a truck. Either way, if a professional wants to steal it then there's not much you can do about it. Fortunately this is very rare.

Also, the amateurs will be discouraged because you can't hotwire it.

I once sold a Lexus to a repo man and he told me the reason why he was buying it was because they were the hardest to retrieve. (I used that bit of info as a "closing tool" in future sales.)

I hope this eases your concern.

Old 09-10-08, 06:14 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007

I once sold a Lexus to a repo man and he told me the reason why he was buying it was because they were the hardest to retrieve. (I used that bit of info as a "closing tool" in future sales.)

I hope this eases your concern.

That's a neat detail to know!
Old 09-10-08, 06:23 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

In the SC430's, the alarm is more "aggressive" when the top is down and the car is locked.

When the top is up and you flip the lock, nothing happens. When the top is down, if you reach in the car and flip the lock, the alarm sounds.

That being said, there's a gentleman in the SC430 forum who recently had his stolen. We're all trying to figure out how the thief got the car started...you're not supposed to be able to do that without a key!!

If a thief wants YOUR car, there's no way you can stop him. The only thing the theft-deterrent devices and features do is (hopefully) make a thief decide that your car is too much hassle and move on to another.

Take "The Club" - I'm sure most of us have seen the videos that show how a prefessional thief can pick or just bypass that device in like 3 seconds. Barely even slows them down. But, statistically speaking, they work. Thieves tend to just "move on to the next car" when they see a Club.
Old 09-10-08, 06:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Are you sure the alarm goes off if you smash the glass? As far as I knew it doesn't have a glass breakage sensor or impact/motion sensor. It is only when they open the door or try to start the car will the alarm sound off. At least in the cars up until the very recent 06+ ones. From that year on in the 3rd gen and new LS I don't know much.
CHris you are right, I mean to say when they smash teh glass and try to open the door from the inside.

Old 09-10-08, 08:52 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

It depends who tries to steal it.

Your average street thug probably won't be able to do anything while a professionally organized crime syndicate can crack any car if they want too.

It's a big problem in Northern Germany, near the Polish border, as I hear in the news because Eastern Europe has some pretty extreme and talented car theft organizations that have been able to crack anything. Anything.
Old 09-10-08, 10:11 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I always thought MB was hardest to steal with their infared keys. This contributes to low insurance cost for them.
Old 09-10-08, 02:23 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

In Canada, if you live in an upscale neighbourhood and have a nice car, they break into your house first, find the keys for the car then steal the car lol
Old 09-10-08, 04:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
In Canada, if you live in an upscale neighbourhood and have a nice car, they break into your house first, find the keys for the car then steal the car lol
In Texas, if they did this, I have AR15/AK47/Shotgun waiting for them
Old 09-10-08, 04:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Habious
In the SC430's, the alarm is more "aggressive" when the top is down and the car is locked.

When the top is up and you flip the lock, nothing happens. When the top is down, if you reach in the car and flip the lock, the alarm sounds.

That being said, there's a gentleman in the SC430 forum who recently had his stolen. We're all trying to figure out how the thief got the car started...you're not supposed to be able to do that without a key!!

If a thief wants YOUR car, there's no way you can stop him. The only thing the theft-deterrent devices and features do is (hopefully) make a thief decide that your car is too much hassle and move on to another.

Take "The Club" - I'm sure most of us have seen the videos that show how a prefessional thief can pick or just bypass that device in like 3 seconds. Barely even slows them down. But, statistically speaking, they work. Thieves tend to just "move on to the next car" when they see a Club.
Good on the SC designers for doing that---maybe the audio system adjusts for the top down as well?

I'm guessing there's a YouTube vid of the professional thief vs. The Club...
Old 09-10-08, 04:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
It depends who tries to steal it.

Your average street thug probably won't be able to do anything while a professionally organized crime syndicate can crack any car if they want too.

It's a big problem in Northern Germany, near the Polish border, as I hear in the news because Eastern Europe has some pretty extreme and talented car theft organizations that have been able to crack anything. Anything.
Very true, VERY true and tons are being shipped to Russia where the economy has flourished and there are more car buyers than ever.

Old 09-12-08, 12:31 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Good on the SC designers for doing that---maybe the audio system adjusts for the top down as well?

As a matter of fact, it does. If they stereo is playing when the top finishes it's cycle, you can noticably hear the difference of the stereo after the "ding!"

The high frequencies are boosted a bit and the overall volume increases.