Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Toyota's/Lexus hard to steal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 10:49 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Toyota's/Lexus hard to steal?

I was wondering if anyone can answer this.

Are Toyota's/Lexus models harder to steal than other cars?

I ask because a few years ago I locked my keys in my old Toyota Truck and the tow truck driver could not slim jim the window to open up the lock. There was something in there that prevented this. The driver had to put some rod through the weather stripping and the door to unlock the door. It was almost like he had to pry the door a bit to get the rod inside.

I know there is all this code technology now. but how about the older models? Can anyone answer this?
Old 09-09-08, 11:39 AM
windom_85
Driver School Candidate

stock security system...never had any issues with anyone attempting to steal my es
Old 09-09-08, 12:06 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If a car thief wants the car, he'll get it. You can tow anything on a flatbed. Also, theives just smash stuff rather than messing around with slim jims and the like.
Old 09-09-08, 12:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
If a car thief wants the car, he'll get it. You can tow anything on a flatbed. Also, theives just smash stuff rather than messing around with slim jims and the like.
Very much agreed!
Old 09-09-08, 12:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Very much agreed!
Other than Tow the car, the hard part is start the ignition on a Lexus.
Old 09-09-08, 12:10 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I was wondering if anyone can answer this.

Are Toyota's/Lexus models harder to steal than other cars?

I ask because a few years ago I locked my keys in my old Toyota Truck and the tow truck driver could not slim jim the window to open up the lock. There was something in there that prevented this. The driver had to put some rod through the weather stripping and the door to unlock the door. It was almost like he had to pry the door a bit to get the rod inside.

I know there is all this code technology now. but how about the older models? Can anyone answer this?
This has been discussed prior.. Searchhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-09-08, 03:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

it can't be that hard, someone smashed our window on our toyota, but thankfully, there was some sort of glass breakage sensor and we were walking to the car, saw the guy run away as we got neared, and he got caught by hotel security somewhere else in the parking lot...... what a dumb ***

Trending Topics

Old 09-09-08, 03:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's an interesting story:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C0A967958260

Making Cars Harder to Steal: Smart Systems, Tough Locks

By DORON P. LEVIN, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: February 9, 1991

Last spring, an illegally parked Lexus LS 400 made news in Manhattan, where cars are often stolen in a trice. A towing crew of five struggled for an hour to pick the door lock. "Fifty spectators cheered the car," Newsweek reported. Toyota later explained that Lexus LS 400 keys, which are made of an unusual nickel-silver alloy, are difficult to duplicate and the locks are so precisely made that only the correct keys can open them.

As in many new models in recent years, the Lexus door lock is positioned so it cannot be reached with a coat hanger. In any case, the starter is electronically disabled unless the correct key is used. And Toyota has also shielded the internal lock mechanism so that it cannot be opened with a "slim-jim," a blade that thieves, police and parking-lot attendants can slide between the window and rubber gasket to open a door lock. The Lexus LS 400 also contains an alarm, although skillful thieves are not easily deterred by alarms, police officers and insurance companies say.

To help Lexus owners avoid locking their keys in their cars, an electronic system prevents the locks from being activated when the driver's seat is not occupied and the key is in the ignition. Should a key be lost, Lexus says it will deliver a new one within 24 hours. Naturally, the electronic security system helps justify the Lexus LS 400's $40,000 price tag, and the system is costly enough -- Toyota will not say precisely how costly -- so that it will probably not be used in lower-priced models.
The Lexus LS has also been sole consecutive 100% top scorers in What Car? Security Supertests.

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2333747
Old 09-09-08, 08:48 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

my family's rental car died out when we were on vacation and had the tow guy come over and slim jim it...but he was tellin me about how to steal cars and he said Lexus is really tricky because you gotta get the timing right, as in the moment you unlock it you gotta open the door handle (for example if your in ur car and its all locked and u try to unlock the door the locks will lock right away) so yeah thats what i know lol
Old 09-09-08, 09:48 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I guess I should ask.

Are Toyota/Lexus harder to steal than other cars?+
Old 09-09-08, 09:59 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to steal some cars???

One thing i like about my car is that when i was cleaning the interior and was wipeing down the door i accidently locked the door and it unlocked itself. With the new smart key its almost impossible to lock your keys in.
Old 09-09-08, 09:59 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

depends what you mean by other cars...if you compare to honda, obviously LOL...supposedly (from what I heard from that towing dude) lexus/toyota are not easy to steal, they're harder than a lot of other cars
Old 09-09-08, 10:07 PM
LexFather

Out of all the Lexus models, the 1st gen GS 300 was on thieves eyes. You can even see some of the used being sold with the B pillar not lining up.

Outside of that, its a challenge to get inside a Lexus with just a slimjim and I think pretty impossible.

Off course if you smash the glass, well the alarm SHOULD go off. Most Lexus are vandalized, not stolen.

Now if a thief REALLY wants your car, there is nothing you can do they will take it.

You can use a slimjim and break into MANY cars built even up to the late 1990s.

Old 09-09-08, 10:28 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Outside of that, its a challenge to get inside a Lexus with just a slimjim and I think pretty impossible
That is what I am saying. I a figure that if Toyota can make a very reliable vehcle then they likely can a make a vehicle that is also hard to steal.

My old Tundra could not be slim jimmed and I was suprised. The tow truck driver had such a hard time getting the truck un locked I was wondering how hard is it is to get a Toyota started
Old 09-09-08, 11:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Out of all the Lexus models, the 1st gen GS 300 was on thieves eyes. You can even see some of the used being sold with the B pillar not lining up.

Outside of that, its a challenge to get inside a Lexus with just a slimjim and I think pretty impossible.

Off course if you smash the glass, well the alarm SHOULD go off. Most Lexus are vandalized, not stolen.

Are you sure the alarm goes off if you smash the glass? As far as I knew it doesn't have a glass breakage sensor or impact/motion sensor. It is only when they open the door or try to start the car will the alarm sound off. At least in the cars up until the very recent 06+ ones. From that year on in the 3rd gen and new LS I don't know much.

Quick Reply: Are Toyota's/Lexus hard to steal?