Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche may add four-cylinder engines to 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 06:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Porsche may add four-cylinder engines to 911

Posted on Tuesday 9 September 2008

Porsche may add four-cylinder engines to 911

For better or worse, the governmental and social concern with fuel efficiency is a real and serious consideration for the world’s major carmakers. Porsche being increasingly numbered among them with is full line of vehicles and strong sales, it is beginning to consider how it might make concessions to improve emissions without gutting the performance of its vehicles. One idea near the top of the list is the inclusion of four-cylinder engines in its lineup.

A Porsche engineer has stated at an Australian press conference that Porsche is not averse to using four-cylinder engines, should the need arise. Thomas Krickelberg, Porsche’s head of powertrain development, revealed that the six-cylinder engines found in the 911 had been designed so that they could have the number of their cylinders reduced if there was a “strong need to do it”.

Addressing motoring press attending an Australian launch of the Porsche 911, Krickelberg cited “global warming and the need to reduce fuel consumption” as being the most likely motivating factors in any decision to reduce the number of cylinders in the famous Porsche flat-six.

Krickelberg noted that reducing the number of cylinders would be relatively easy, as the engine was designed to be versatile. He also commented on the necessity to produce socially responsible cars, as well as impending CO2-limiting legislation that could force Porsche to drastically change their current approach to engine technology. Already the German manufacturer is developing a hybrid Porsche Cayenne to placate customers who want to be seen as more socially responsible.

Porsche’s legendary flat-six has provided the powerplant for several generations of the 911, but even Porsche may be forced to abandon its trademark engine in response to global events. A flat-four or four-cylinder boxer engine has been used successfully by Subaru in its Impreza and WRX among other vehicles. The WRX also uses a turbocharger to boost power. Presumably, Porsche could also follow this route, if the need arose, to reduce the number of cylinders in its cars but maintain similar power levels.
source
Old 09-10-08, 07:04 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is amazing that from the get go, Porsche designed their engines to operate as 4 cylinders or 6. Simply amazing!

If they can create the same performance without scuffing the 911 name, then go for it!
Old 09-10-08, 07:20 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I think it is amazing that from the get go, Porsche designed their engines to operate as 4 cylinders or 6. Simply amazing!

If they can create the same performance without scuffing the 911 name, then go for it!
yeah, i thought that was interesting too. wonder why though when it's still at a conceptual stage?

and return of the 912 maybe?

Old 09-10-08, 07:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

My uncle has a '69 (I think it is a '69) 912. Thats a fun car. No reason why there couldn't be a fun and efficient 4 cylinder 911. Especially with all the technology out there now to do it with.
Old 09-10-08, 07:59 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't believe this will ever happen. The current 3.6 litre started out as a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder 201 HP.
Old 09-10-08, 08:32 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Bring back the old glorious days when Porsches zoomed across the highways in 4-cylinders!

Given the pressure the EU is placing on makers of sportscars, this is a potentially wise move by Porsche. I've said it before but my experience with modern-day 4-cylinders has been very pleasant. The refinement is definitely there, it's doable. In Porsches case, a nice throaty sound would make it complete (preferably the air-cooled sounds of the older Porsches with 4-bangers).

I wonder how Ferrari or Lamborghini will respond to this. Their 4-cylinder heritage is virtually non-existent. Well, Lamborghini can claim to have produced 4-cylinders for their tractors.
Old 09-10-08, 09:13 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by DustinV
I wonder how Ferrari or Lamborghini will respond to this. Their 4-cylinder heritage is virtually non-existent. Well, Lamborghini can claim to have produced 4-cylinders for their tractors.

maybe a Murcielago turbo diesel!

...god that sounds weird.
Old 09-10-08, 09:18 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A lightweight Porsche, stripped of all unneccessary frills, with a 4 cylinder engine would be great and take the brand right back to its origins.
Old 09-10-08, 09:24 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
maybe a Murcielago turbo diesel!

...god that sounds weird.
not as weired as a r8 v12 turbo diesel
Old 09-10-08, 09:54 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

4 cylinders... oh no!!!! it's going to kill the Porsche brand. .....
Old 09-10-08, 11:11 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i have no problem with it. who cares how many cyl. a car has as long as it does the job. porsche can easily make good power out of a turbocharged boxer 4 cyl. they've been turbocharging cars with great success for decades. any doubters, ask anyone with a wrx or sti....
Old 09-10-08, 11:26 AM
LexFather

I doubt it happens. If anything rumors of a car BELOW the Boxster have swirled for years. I believe the 911 hasn't had a 4 cylinder since the 901.

Lets think about it. Porsche LAUNCHED a 911 Turbo in the gas crazy 1970s and they couldn't sell enough.

I applaud them for thinking of the enviornment but the 911 is to much of an icon for a 4 today. If anything the 911 might be a V-8 next go round as the Flat 6 can't get any bigger.

Old 09-10-08, 11:47 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
yeah, i thought that was interesting too. wonder why though when it's still at a conceptual stage?

and return of the 912 maybe?

it is still at a conceptual stage perhaps due to the image of porsche 911s having flat-6s

also hardcore porsche fans prefer NA over FI any day
they are already sad that porsche doesnt do aircooled engines anymore
so taking away NA would be even more devastating to the perception of 911 to these porsche connoisseurs/purists

but yeah true porsche purists will think back to even the 356 days when flat-4 rules the day

its incredible how well porsche can do with flat-4s though

back then, 912 had 90hp but could do 30mpg!

Last edited by UberNoob; 09-10-08 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 12:10 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like Porshe is going back to its VW roots. VW/Audi has some potent 4 bangers if Porshe does go this route.. Yet another option for buyers..
Old 09-10-08, 02:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i wouldnt mind a current day porsche 914 or 944, and just skip the 924 lhaha

Quick Reply: Porsche may add four-cylinder engines to 911