Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB ConceptFASCINATION previews next E-class

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 03:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default MB ConceptFASCINATION previews next E-class

When the doors open at the Paris Motor Show next month, Mercedes-Benz will be giving everyone a sneak peek of the new E-Class front-end styling. No, not in the form of the new E-Class itself, which will be unveiled at a later date, but in the ConceptFASCINATION, an attractive shooting brake concept based on the upcoming E-Class Coupe's architecture and featuring the new E's front-end styling.

Gone are the round headlamps we've become accustomed to. In their place are new "rhomboid" lamps that, on the show car at least, incorporate fiber-optic driving lights. The grille will likely be the same one seen on the new E Coupe, while we'd expect the sedan to have the traditional grille-and-hood-ornament combo instead. Power comes from Mercedes' new 2.2L, 204-horsepower BlueTEC (with AdBlue) 4-cylinder diesel, which will make its production debut this fall in the Euro-market C250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Super Verbose Prime Edition sedan.

The ConceptFASCINATION's cargo area is covered in wood, and boasts such show-car goodies as a folding glass table that can be pulled rearward, a humidor, a chilled compartment (natch), and storage for binoculars and a camera. A pronounced rear fender arch lends some visual muscle to the whole affair. Hopefully, that's also a hint at what the inevitable E-Class wagon's rump is going to look like. As for the new front end, it's a lot better looking here than spy shots have led us to believe. We'll have much more next month from Paris.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/10/m...s-new-e-class/
Old 09-10-08, 03:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Rear on this concept is a bit too Mazda for me.
Old 09-10-08, 03:34 PM
LexFather

Sharper angler GS face. Nice. The E-class is still IMO best looking in class, I hope the new one doesn't get too SUVish.
Shooting brake or shooting yourself in the foot? No likey the concept.

Old 09-10-08, 04:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this looks pretty good actually, way better than some of those ugly recent spyshots and chops of the E-Class sedan. The front looks nicely formed, a clean face yes with GS elements but it looks nice, a bit R-class ish but I can see it with the horizontal grille and hood ornament. The back is a bit off with the Acura-creaseline but the side profile is nice.
Old 09-10-08, 04:54 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2004 E (W211) for a couple of years and really liked it. I think that the styling will definitely be more subtle when it is released as they won't want to offend any customers. This is a huge car for MB and it needs to look good.
Old 09-10-08, 05:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Front end is pretty good, but that's about it ...
Old 09-10-08, 06:45 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's all this jibber jabber about E class coupe? The CLS? The CLK?
Old 09-10-08, 06:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The CLK has never been an E-class coupe, it's from a modified C-class platform ...
Old 09-10-08, 06:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The CLK has never been an E-class coupe, it's from a modified C-class platform ...
This man knows his cars

Correct. CLK is a CASH COW for Benz, E class looks, C class platform, E/CL class price.

Old 09-10-08, 07:57 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the front reminds me of a Saab
Old 09-10-08, 08:17 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yes I realize that but it's priced closer to what an E class coupe would be. There really isn't an E class coupe period as the E class is sedan and wagon only, so the mention of an E class coupe boggles my mind.
Old 09-10-08, 08:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Koma
Yes I realize that but it's priced closer to what an E class coupe would be. There really isn't an E class coupe period as the E class is sedan and wagon only, so the mention of an E class coupe boggles my mind.
CLS is an E-class based 4-door coupe, but maybe they will have an E-class coupe(2-door) for the next generation ??
Old 09-10-08, 09:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Theres another story I saw on another forum that states the CLK name may be dropped and simply become E-class Coupe.
Old 09-10-08, 09:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't we have a 2.2L bluetec C class?
Old 09-11-08, 01:58 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very beautiful concept. I like these "shooting brake" designs, very classy and I hope to see more manufacturers produce concepts like this for the fun of it. Imagine a Cadillac CTS Shooting Brake or a Lexus IS Shooting Brake!? It also seems to have a lot of styling traits from that concept that became the R class, what was it called? GTS? GST?

Quick Reply: MB ConceptFASCINATION previews next E-class