Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Legend (our Acura RL) refresh

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You finally coming around, Mike?

Nice car, isn't it?
Not really, I know its well built but it doesn't move me at all.

Old 09-10-08, 08:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

put the 2006 headlights on this, and we're good.
Old 09-10-08, 09:48 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this indicates a newly designed acura front grill for the US is on the way as well
Old 09-10-08, 09:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
Hopefully this indicates a newly designed acura front grill for the US is on the way as well
Not unless there is a huge change in management. Acura is hell bent on using the new beak grill here in the USA, its the new Acura face.

The Legend grill falls in line with other Hondas worldwide for its family resemblence, here is the new Honda City grill for instance.

Or Euro Accord

Old 09-10-08, 10:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
0-62 in 7.1 seconds from a 3.7L. I'll take the GS350 thank you. How does this thing have 300 HP and is so ungodly slow? AND FUEL INEFFICIENT!
The 290hp RL has done 0-60 in 6.3-6.4 seconds. The refresh power boost and improved power curve should improve on that. Not all statistics are taken the same way with the same equipment. The equipment could have been off or they did not get a proper launch, temperature/elevation/road surface variables can lead to different times.

The IS350 has been clocked anywhere from 4.8-6.5 seconds from 0-60. There are many different variables that will give you different times.

The refresh does look pretty good when seen in person but I still prefer the pre refresh. The interior does look a little nicer with the extra wood and revised center console which was excellent to begin with. It seems in Japan you can get rear heated seats as well as some other options not available in the US. I don't know why they would not give America the rear heated seats and other options. In Japan and some other places you could get AC seats and some other options when the RL first came out but they were not available on the American versions until later which is dissapointing. I don't know why the decontent the American version, I have noticed this on other cars too.
Old 09-10-08, 10:35 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Also have to keep in mind that the RL is AWD=weight.

Also for the newbies stuck on 0-60, keep in mind that 0-60 means little in a race. Time to distance is a better gauge.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-11-08 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-11-08, 12:00 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

An all new 5 speed gearbox? Why not develop at least a 6 speed?
Old 09-11-08, 12:11 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by farquad
really don't know what to say about it.. looks more like a honda to me.. which it is.. but acura over here, kinda like a bigger accord
that's about where i'm at too ... especially the rear ... i was thinking *so, looks like an accord but maybe a little taller (?)*
Old 09-11-08, 03:48 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

This car looks so much better without the nasty new Acura grille. But, you won't see many of them in Europe. The Legend is a legend in Europe. Everyone's heard of it, but nobody has seen it.
Old 09-11-08, 06:05 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We sooooo need that grill on our RL and TL!!!
Old 09-11-08, 06:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Also have to keep in mind that the RL is AWD=weight.

Also for the newbies stuck on 0-60, keep in mind that 0-60 means little in a race. Time to distance is a better gauge.
My car is AWD and only weighs 3100 lbs. If that.

I'm not really interested in how the RL will do in a race. I'm interested in 0-60, 5-60 times as thats how we compare the performance of vehicles.
Old 09-11-08, 06:44 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for liking the Honda grille better than the Acura one.

Even so I'm a big fan of this car as I think it offers a great combination of AWD, sportiness, nice interior and decent reliability.
Old 09-11-08, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
+1 for liking the Honda grille better than the Acura one.

No arguments there. The newest Acura grilles look like a clown-mask in a circus.
Old 09-11-08, 07:32 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No arguments there. The newest Acura grilles look like a clown-mask in a circus.
Haha... I was watching Motorweek and they featured the new TL (not a full test) - it looked bigger on the show than what I've seen in photos.

They called it a gladiator shield.
Old 09-11-08, 08:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
The 290hp RL has done 0-60 in 6.3-6.4 seconds. The refresh power boost and improved power curve should improve on that. Not all statistics are taken the same way with the same equipment. The equipment could have been off or they did not get a proper launch, temperature/elevation/road surface variables can lead to different times.

The IS350 has been clocked anywhere from 4.8-6.5 seconds from 0-60. There are many different variables that will give you different times.

The refresh does look pretty good when seen in person but I still prefer the pre refresh. The interior does look a little nicer with the extra wood and revised center console which was excellent to begin with. It seems in Japan you can get rear heated seats as well as some other options not available in the US. I don't know why they would not give America the rear heated seats and other options. In Japan and some other places you could get AC seats and some other options when the RL first came out but they were not available on the American versions until later which is dissapointing. I don't know why the decontent the American version, I have noticed this on other cars too.
Weight is not the issue, the engine is. It has the largest engine in class, a 3.7 but its performance is closer to a 2.7. The GS 350/M35x/535xi/E 4matic are all significantly quicker 0-60 and in the 1/4 and all weigh around 4000 lbs with all being AWD.. The RL is a high 6 second/ low 7 second car.

As for looks, Lee's RL is IMO the best looking version, though the pre facelift LEgend looked pretty good too. Nearly seems they swapped the RL slants and put them on the Legend. I always felt HEAD ON, the 2005-2008 RL had a good looking face.

I wish Lexus would offer the color combos and special editions the Japanese get, like the "Passionate black" interior in the GS.

Quick Reply: Honda Legend (our Acura RL) refresh