Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 08:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review!

One of the nurses at my facility just got one, and I always snap my neck for its design: it's different, fresh, but polarizing.

So, the Altima and Maxima are about the same size now (the current gen Altima grew in size, and this Maxima actually is smaller than the previous gen). If the Maxima is more sport-oriented, shouldn't it have the coupe variant instead of the Altima? Should a Maxima coupe be offered, or do you think this would be overkill for Nissan to offer four FWD vehicle variants?
Old 09-12-08, 09:27 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a coworker of mine who bought his Maxima about a month ago. I agree with this review and it really is a very nice car. I didn't even notice the CVT while in the car and only realized it later reading a review online. My biggest gripe is the cost, his was $38K. While I like the car, it just seemed to be overpriced by a few thousand $.
Old 09-12-08, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Great review!
Thanks.

One of the nurses at my facility just got one,
I hope she keeps it on smooth roads....if not, she may need some of her own therapy.

it's different, fresh, but polarizing.
It's really no different from the new Accord at all. The body lines, except for the two rear doors, are strongly similiar. But, you're right...it IS different for a Nissan.

So, the Altima and Maxima are about the same size now (the current gen Altima grew in size, and this Maxima actually is smaller than the previous gen). If the Maxima is more sport-oriented, shouldn't it have the coupe variant instead of the Altima? Should a Maxima coupe be offered, or do you think this would be overkill for Nissan to offer four FWD vehicle variants?
I think there are two main reasons why Nissan doesn't offer a Maxima coupe. First, because it is Nissan's flagship, and the image (yes, there we go with image again ) of a coupe as flagship just doesn't sit as well as a sedan. Second, while not in Camry/Accord numbers, the Altima has traditionally outsold the Maxima by a substantial margin, and has far greater potential demand for a coupe. Nissan apparantly felt (correctly, IMO) that a Maxima coupe would be an unnecessary diversion of the company's resources (remember that Renault still controls the company's purse-strings). There is already the FWD Altima coupe, RWD 350Z, and RWD Infiniti G35 coupe in the corportion's lineup. An AWD version (finally) is in the works for the G35 coupe (something long overdue, IMO, because the mechanicals have been right there all along in the AWD G35X sedan), but we haven't actually seen it yet.
Old 09-12-08, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by theanimala
I have a coworker of mine who bought his Maxima about a month ago.
Give him my congragulations....and good luck.

I agree with this review and it really is a very nice car.
Thanks.

I didn't even notice the CVT while in the car and only realized it later reading a review online.
That's the whole IDEA..........to disguise the "shifting" and "gear ranges" to the point where it is hard to tell this CVT from a conventional sport-shift automatic. The Nissan enginers did a good job of it....I discussed that in detail in the review.

My biggest gripe is the cost, his was $38K. While I like the car, it just seemed to be overpriced by a few thousand $.
If you get a loaded SV version with Sport and Tech packages, yes, it can be 38K. But base versions start around 30K, and if you read my comments in the review, by mid-size FWD sedan standards, the steering/handling on this car (and the stiff ride) is already so agile without the Sport Package that, IMO, it is unnecessary.

Another good alternative is to look at the slightly cheaper Altima V6. It shares the same 3.5 engine block as the Maxima (with slightly different tuning), but, IMO, has more quirky styling than the Maxima's handsome lines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-08 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-12-08, 09:51 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new max is super hot, I feel bad for the people who sprung 35k for the is250 and is350.

IMO the new Acura TL is going to take big hit because of this mighty max.

but it's going to be soon before we see a ton of max's on the road that's for sure!
Old 09-12-08, 09:52 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review.

The outside is very classy but the interior looks uninspired and pretty bland. Build quality and materials look decent in the photos, though.
Old 09-12-08, 09:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

excellent review.
Old 09-12-08, 09:56 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
the new max is super hot, I feel bad for the people who sprung 35k for the is250 and is350.

but it's going to be soon before we see a ton of max's on the road that's for sure!
agreed.... they ruined the car.
Old 09-12-08, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, apples and oranges. The IS, with its RWD/AWD platform, is a different car for a different purpose. Its rear seat, though, is much tighter then the Maxima's, though, even with the Maxima's restricted rear headroom.

By CL request, the 2009 TL is next on my review list. I'm waiting for samples to arrive locally....they have not done so yet. The new TL, though, will have SH-AWD as an option; the Maxima doesn't. That will increase the TL's appeal somewhat.

Maybe.......we'll see. The Altima has traditionally far outsold the Max. That's probably why the Altima has a coupe version and the Max doesn't.....see my response in post #18, above.
Old 09-12-08, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
Great review.
Thanks.

The outside is very classy but the interior looks uninspired and pretty bland. Build quality and materials look decent in the photos, though.
The all-black version, inside, I agree, is a little too bland and monotone (I mentioned that in the review), but check out the beige/black and gray/black versions. That livens it up a little.
Old 09-12-08, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
excellent review.
Thanks.

Acura TL coming up...as soon as they finally arrive.
Old 09-12-08, 10:33 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree, the new max is a bigger car with the same purpose. Everything else being a wash, I see more people opting for the more aggressive, bigger sports sedan.

they are both sport sedans, RWD or AWD (I'm assuming max's Front wheel drive) will make little difference.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, apples and oranges. The IS, with its RWD/AWD platform, is a different car for a different purpose. Its rear seat, though, is much tighter then the Maxima's, though, even with the Maxima's restricted rear headroom.

Old 09-12-08, 10:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree, the new max is a bigger car with the same purpose. Everything else being a wash, I see more people opting for the more aggressive, bigger sports sedan.

they are both sport sedans, RWD or AWD (I'm assuming max's Front wheel drive) will make little difference.
Bigger does not mean better.

Although the Maxima has sporty pretension, it cannot be pushed like the IS350.

The Maxima, unlike any RWD vehicle, will not be able to drift or do donuts or burnouts or J-turns because it is FWD. Yes, it is fast and handles better than most FWD vehicles out on the road, but when pushed, will exhibit its deficiencies in sport handling.

So, for sport function, a FWD vehicle is nowhere near a RWD vehicle's sport capabilities.
Old 09-12-08, 11:07 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

well u can say the same thing for FWD or RWD, rwd doesn't necessarily mean it's better right ? but I'll take the bigger one give everything else is a wash...thanks. I'm sure the majority agree.

and the majority of the market will not be doing drifting donuts.

and the max is more similar in price to the is250 right ?

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Bigger does not mean better.

Although the Maxima has sporty pretension, it cannot be pushed like the IS350.

The Maxima, unlike any RWD vehicle, will not be able to drift or do donuts or burnouts or J-turns because it is FWD. Yes, it is fast and handles better than most FWD vehicles out on the road, but when pushed, will exhibit its deficiencies in sport handling.

So, for sport function, a FWD vehicle is nowhere near a RWD vehicle's sport capabilities.
Old 09-12-08, 11:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...feel bad? Why would you feel bad? Both of those cars are beautiful machines and are VERY refined. and I'm sure the IS350 is a lot quicker. If the new Maxima shares the same engine as last year's model then it's NOT as fast as the "four-door sports car" is proclaimed to be. I took a 7 hour road trip with 3 of my friends in a 2008...it was quick but nothing special. Probably similar to most 6 cylinder cars on the road today.

Awesome review by the way mmarshall...thanks for taking the time to write it!

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV