Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 01:08 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow I never thought of the similar priced g37, u have good points.

but ya the max is fresh now, but I can foresee one on every block within 6 months.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Maxima is sporty and the sports sedan of FWD cars but they MAKE their OWN true manual G37sedan now for the SAME PRICE.

Lets see here, G37 sedan with 330hp and proper RWD setup and some badge cred.
New Maxima with Infiniti interior and fit and finish with 290hp and FWD setup.

Mind you BOTH are the same size. Both 35k with some options

The Maxima is fantastic IMO (yet to drive one) in seeing it in person inside and out. The G37 and IS will run rings around it.

CVT is NOT sporty, it takes a lot of getting used to.

The Maxima has a lot of followers, people will love this car. Stylish, roomy, good power, options, fit and finish. It won't blend in like all 30 billion Camrys Altimas and Accords.

A lot of people just want a nice stylish car and don't want or care about the badge.. Its not about the Nurburgring all the time.
Old 09-12-08, 01:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mikemareen
one thing for sure, it will put on damper on Hyundai's genesis release.
No its not. This is what the Maxima should have been LAST time. All this is doing is fixing the mess of the last Maxima. This car breaks no new ground.

The Genesis breaks plenty of new ground, RWD, V-8 option, leather dash, a true luxury brand competitor. First Korean luxury car here.

You will not see Maximas in the same comparos u see the Genesis in with the V-8, maybe the V-6.

Genesis V-6 vs Maxima is a good comparo.

Old 09-12-08, 01:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
mmarshall you reviewed the outgoing TL-S as well right?
Yes. here it is:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+2008+acura+tl

How do you think the Maxima compared to it considering both are around the same price?
In a quick comparison, the Maxima was definitely more agile, with quicker steering response....astoundingly so for a mid-to-large-size FWD sedan. The Type-S had a traditional 6-speed manual, of course, which enhanced its "sport-sedan" status. Both cars seemed well-made.....the Type S, like the Maxima, exhibiting noticeably better interior quality then just a few years ago.
The Type-S also had a slightly better paint job, and a little more headroom inside. Both cars had well-done brakes, though the Type-S Brembos had some initial sponginess.
Old 09-12-08, 01:15 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya but one's a nissan and one's a hyundai.

v6 or v8, one will weigh out the nissan to hyundai factor, then weigh out the price factor, then look at both cars and make the decision.

most will pick the max, thus damper the sales of genesis.

No its not. This is what the Maxima should have been LAST time. All this is doing is fixing the mess of the last Maxima. This car breaks no new ground.

The Genesis breaks plenty of new ground, RWD, V-8 option, leather dash, a true luxury brand competitor. First Korean luxury car here.

You will not see Maximas in the same comparos u see the Genesis in with the V-8, maybe the V-6.

Old 09-12-08, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I know performance isn't everything when choosing a car but IMHO if I am going to spend a lot of $$$ on a car I want it to be one of the most powerful in it's class. I just read up on this 2009 Maxima: ~6.2 0-60 and ~14.7 in the 1/4 mile. Nothing crazy...the new TL-S and IS350 should and will smoke it. Hell, the stock GS400/430 from '98 to '05 have better numbers than this ride hands down. It has similar performace to the 3.5L Altimas and the V6 Honda Accords. It is a nice looking car though...it's just how they RAVE "4-door sports car" whenever I think sports car I think of POWER and HANDLING. To me it only has the latter.
6.2 from 0-60 is not slow by any means. The Maxima I drove yesterday was not much of a dragster below 3000 RPM or so, but, above that, gave you a good shove in the back.

The Maxima's main problem on the road is that the chassis/suspension is so firm, and so biased toward its astoundingly quick (for a FWD sedan) steering response, that it jars and jolts you on anything but a smooth road. Sharp bumps actually make the steering wheel kick up and down in your hands.
Old 09-12-08, 01:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anytime, guys. The 2009 Acura TL is next.....if they ever arrive.
I'll be interested to see how the Maxima stacks up to the FWD TL. Given how ugly the new TL is, if I was in the market for FWD, I think the Maxima would now to the TL on my list.
Old 09-12-08, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is what the Maxima should have been LAST time. All this is doing is fixing the mess of the last Maxima. This car breaks no new ground.
Agreed. The new Maxima, among other things, brings back a decent interior..........something that Ghosn & Co. tossed out years ago with cost-cutting. However, it does break some new ground in handling and steering response. That was one of my primary beefs with it...it is so stiff now, for steering response (which it has in spades) that, IMO, it is suited only for relatively smooth roads. Nissan just doesn't seem to have the know-how that BMW and Mercedes do in combining ride and handling.

Just finished the Genesis V6 review a couple of weeks ago. Here it is again:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ew+genesis+3.8

Except for the disadvantage of RWD in bad weather, given the choice of a Maxima or Genesis, I'd rather have the Genesis as a daily driver....it was noticeably more comfortable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 04:50 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Bigger does not mean better.

Although the Maxima has sporty pretension, it cannot be pushed like the IS350.

The Maxima, unlike any RWD vehicle, will not be able to drift or do donuts or burnouts or J-turns because it is FWD. Yes, it is fast and handles better than most FWD vehicles out on the road, but when pushed, will exhibit its deficiencies in sport handling.

So, for sport function, a FWD vehicle is nowhere near a RWD vehicle's sport capabilities.
Regarding the bigger not always being better, you sound like me speaking to my wife...

Seriously, for some people like myself driving with two kids, bigger IS better. I wanted a fun to drive car that was sporty, but could fit car seats without the kids kicking the hell out of my seat, or to transport clients to lunch meetings. I love the lines of the ISx50, but I just could not ever drive the car with that small of a back seat. For people like me, the new Maxima is a nice compromise.
Old 09-12-08, 04:59 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I know performance isn't everything when choosing a car but IMHO if I am going to spend a lot of $$$ on a car I want it to be one of the most powerful in it's class. I just read up on this 2009 Maxima: ~6.2 0-60 and ~14.7 in the 1/4 mile. Nothing crazy...the new TL-S and IS350 should and will smoke it. Hell, the stock GS400/430 from '98 to '05 have better numbers than this ride hands down. It has similar performace to the 3.5L Altimas and the V6 Honda Accords. It is a nice looking car though...it's just how they RAVE "4-door sports car" whenever I think sports car I think of POWER and HANDLING. To me it only has the latter.
The Maxima is not far down in it's class for it's acceleration and handling, even though it is a front wheel drive car. Regarding the GS400/430 98 to 05 being faster, well they should be. They have V8 engines and cost around $50K new back then, clearly a much more expensive car than the mid $30K price of the Maxima today, so that is a horrible comparison. Regarding the 3.5L Altima, even the auto rags have commented that it has slightly more backseat space and all the performance for $$$$'s less. As long as you can deal with it's interior...
Old 09-13-08, 01:11 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks.

Still no 2009 TL's in my local area.

Try looking on the dealer web site in the "New Vehicles" or "New Inventory" section or calling ahead and checking before you actually go there. Most dealerships keep their inventory on their website....but don't always keep the website up to date.

If you do find a 2009 TL, give us a quick run-down on how you liked it (I'll do a full review, of course, when possible). And check tire pressures before you actually test-drive it (the correct PSI will usually be on a sticker on the drivers' door jamb). The PDI guys are supposed to bleed down overpumped-up tires when the cars come off the transporter.....but often forget to do so. Incorrect PSI's (usually too much air) will affect ride and handling.
Went today and they said they are getting their first demo next Wednesday in black on black loaded minus the SH-AWD so I'll try to take pictures.
Old 09-13-08, 12:12 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Thanks.

I mentioned, in the review, that I didn't particularly like the way the steering wheel's leather and stitching felt. But it does, at least, have a proper (for a sport sedan) 3-spoke design.

IMO, the worst modern steering wheel I've come across, for looks, shoddiness, and an uncomfortable grip, without a doubt, has to be the one in the new Acura MDX.....surprising, considering the MDX's overall competence and extremely high general quality level. The wheel is simply awful......quirky looks, loose construction, and leather stitching that digs into your hands. Even the smaller RDX wheel is much better.
Yes. I agree. i recently purchased an 08 G35, love the car but each time i look at the steering wheel it makes me want to puke. The I purchased an R35 GTR I couldnt believe they put that ugly piece or crap in the GTR as well. I am so tempted to replace it but dont want to lose all the controls on the wheels and not to mention the airbag. catch 22
How come such things don't occur to the designers and the manufacturers? I mean the steering wheel is so ugly that a blind man would frown upon it.
Old 09-13-08, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Yes. I agree. i recently purchased an 08 G35, love the car but each time i look at the steering wheel it makes me want to puke. The I purchased an R35 GTR I couldnt believe they put that ugly piece or crap in the GTR as well. I am so tempted to replace it but dont want to lose all the controls on the wheels and not to mention the airbag. catch 22
How come such things don't occur to the designers and the manufacturers? I mean the steering wheel is so ugly that a blind man would frown upon it.
You misread my post. I was referring to the Acura MDX's steering wheel, not the G35's. I don't particularly like the G35's wheel either, but it is far better than the one on the MDX.
Old 09-13-08, 02:40 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Great review. Though at first I thought the new Maxima looked hideous, I must admit, it has grown on me a whole lot.

All of the Nissan/Infinti mid-sized G, EX, FX, Altima, and Z platforms, of course, whether FWD, RWD, or AWD, are roughly and loosely related....with the Infiniti M platform a somewhat stretched version.
Actually, the Altima [and Maxima] have almost no relation with the cars you just mentioned [G/M/EX/FX/Z]. They are completely different platforms.

Last edited by S8B; 09-13-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-13-08, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skater
Great review.
Thanks.

Though at first I thought the new Maxima looked hideous, I must admit, it has grown on me a whole lot.
To me, it looks a WHOLE LOT better than the last Maxima......inside and out. This one, with a couple of exceptions (I spelled them out in the review) wasn't designed by bean counters. In fact, it mimics the excellent Honda Accord in many ways, style-wise.

Actually, the Altima [and Maxima] have almost no relation with the cars you just mentioned [G/M/EX/FX/Z]. They are completely different platforms.
Yes and no. I understand your point, and there is some validity to it, but Nissan/Infiniti does use reworked and stretched versions of a common platform for almost all their mid-sized FWD, RWD, and AWD cars. The smaller Sentra, Versa, trucks, and truck-based SUV's of course, DO use different platforms.

You are correct that the engine and drivetrain layouts are different....some transverse, some longitudinal, some FWD, some RWD/AWD, but Nissan and Infiniti have become expert at using one or two platforms and pulling rabbits out of hats a dozen different ways.......that is one of the lasting effects of Carlos Ghosn's well-known cost cutting. It's one thing that has stayed with the company, even though interiors are once again getting better.

GM, to a large extent, has also joined this game. They now sell a number of different cars and small, car-based SUV's on the same platform......even European versions like Saab and Asian versions like Suzuki.

Of course, once you have stretched or reworked a basic platform to produce a different vehicle or a different drivetrain layout, at what point does THAT platform become a "different" one? That's an interesting question, and one that you and I may not totally agree on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-08 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-13-08, 06:14 PM
Scottward
Driver

Unfortunately, Nissan doesn't say on their website specs whether this engine can use 87 Octane or not.....and the paper brochures weren't printed or sent yet at the time of the review.
I read some initial press releases that the 290 HP was certified using premium unleaded.

Nice car, but if you are a Nissan fan and are going to spend that much money, you may as well just get a G.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV