Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 03:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottward
I read some initial press releases that the 290 HP was certified using premium unleaded.
Thanks. But some premium-certified engines can burn 87, at a slight HP loss, without any damage. Others can do it only in a pinch. That is what is unclear with this one.

Nice car, but if you are a Nissan fan and are going to spend that much money, you may as well just get a G.
The most compelling reason I can think of for a G35 would be the AWD version for winter. Otherwise, unless you drive at pretty high speeds where RWD comes into play, the FWD Maxima felt just as agile, if not more so, than the G35 (and, of course, does better on slick roads than the RWD G35). Its steering was astonishingly quick by FWD mid-size sedan standards.
Old 09-14-08, 10:29 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. But some premium-certified engines can burn 87, at a slight HP loss, without any damage. Others can do it only in a pinch. That is what is unclear with this one.

The most compelling reason I can think of for a G35 would be the AWD version for winter. Otherwise, unless you drive at pretty high speeds where RWD comes into play, the FWD Maxima felt just as agile, if not more so, than the G35 (and, of course, does better on slick roads than the RWD G35). Its steering was astonishingly quick by FWD mid-size sedan standards.
Nissan recommends Premium for the all the 3.5L V6 engines, what the owner uses and stays with is usually a different story, I guess that's why they make knock sensors, but I read that Nissan/Infiniti program 2 or 3 timing maps to recognize the most popular grades of gas sold in the US.

The G35 is a nice car but in the northeast you can't find them in RWD, so the AWD adds a premium to the price as dealers force it to be standard, and the 09 Sedans will get a price adjustment with the new 3.7 and seven speed trans, also maintenance is usually more, something that should be taken into consideration when buying a new car.
Old 09-14-08, 02:01 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
The G35 is a nice car but in the northeast you can't find them in RWD, so the AWD adds a premium to the price as dealers force it to be standard, and the 09 Sedans will get a price adjustment with the new 3.7 and seven speed trans, also maintenance is usually more, something that should be taken into consideration when buying a new car.
All true, but you can special order the Journey for the Northeast. Also you have to consider the bumper to bumper and powertrain warranties are longer on the G in addition to a higher resale value. Finally, I forgot to mention that I can not stand CVT transmissions in anything other than Hybrid vehicles where they have a definate purpose. If Nissan had stuck their 5 speed or even better, the new 7 speed in it then I bet it would turn in better acceleration numbers. As of right now I thought I read it was doing somewhere around 14.7 in the 1/4. Not bad, but V6 camrys can also do that and get better fuel mileage.
Old 09-14-08, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scottward
Finally, I forgot to mention that I can not stand CVT transmissions in anything other than Hybrid vehicles where they have a definate purpose. If Nissan had stuck their 5 speed or even better, the new 7 speed in it then I bet it would turn in better acceleration numbers. As of right now I thought I read it was doing somewhere around 14.7 in the 1/4.
Have you driven the new Maxima's CVT? That was one of the main themes in my review.....how different it felt and responded from a typical motorboating/rubber-banding CVT. And, with 261 ft-lbs. of torque, this car's size and weight, and the FWD working against it on initial take-off....14.7 sounds about right.
Old 09-14-08, 02:14 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Excellent review mmarshall. Thank you
Doesn't seem to anything major about the Negatives.

My first car was an 87 maxima. Back then, I didn't like any of the body styles from the accord or camry.

I wonder if the crash ratings are much better than the previous models?

I do agree that is one ugly steering wheel
If I didn't get the LS, I would've considered the Maxima as a nice DD

First time I saw the rear, I thought it was this

[QUOTE=mmarshall;3830423]

Old 09-14-08, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Excellent review mmarshall. Thank you
Sure. Anytime.

Doesn't seem to anything major about the Negatives.
Well, like all my reviews, I make a list of positives and negatives, but, despite the list, my only real complaints were the ridiculous underhood layout (unfortunately, becoming more and more common), and the excessively stiff front suspension that kicked the car up and down and the steering wheel back and forth in your hands over sharp bumps. That's the price for the ultra-quick (by FWD sedan standards) steering response. This car is best suited for smooth roads.

My first car was an 87 maxima. Back then, I didn't like any of the body styles from the accord or camry.
Maximas, back then, as I stated in the opening part of the review, were basically three-box designs, but starting to become drivers' cars, as opposed to the stodginess of their predecessors.

I do agree that is one ugly steering wheel
Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't find the wheel physically ugly to look at so much as I did the rather unpleasant feel of the leather and stitching....but the Acura MDX's wheel, as I noted, was FAR worse on all counts.

If I didn't get the LS, I would've considered the Maxima as a nice DD
Well, there's no comparison. The Maxima, nice as it is, is nowhere near the same league as an LS. The LS, IMO, is one of the world's finest luxury cars. If you have one, particularly an LS430 still in good shape, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-08 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-14-08, 04:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Went today and they said they are getting their first demo next Wednesday in black on black loaded minus the SH-AWD so I'll try to take pictures.
Please please do not post pics of the hideous new TL. Just give us a review.

Old 09-14-08, 11:52 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please please do not post pics of the hideous new TL. Just give us a review.
Come on 1Sick its not that bad. The same thing was said about the current TL when it was released in 04.
Old 09-18-08, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Nationwide lease already for the Maxima
$339 a month with 3k down.

Wow. thats only $20 less than the G35 lease.

Old 09-18-08, 04:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nationwide lease already for the Maxima
$339 a month with 3k down.

Wow. thats only $20 less than the G35 lease.
Never understood money down on leases, it's not paying off the car just lowering the payment, with no money down and tax, the base car is about 450+/-, the loaded models are going for 550 monthly no money down they are not flying off dealer lots but they are moving well for a completely new car
Old 09-18-08, 07:56 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Good review Mmarshall. How would you compare the fit and finish to the Accord my Co-worker has been asking about getting the new Accord or the 09 Maxima. IMO the new Accord reminds of a Buick for some reason.