Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BusinessWeek - A Mercedes Hybrid at Last

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 06:24 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
The only ones who should be embarrased is Toyota. The Germans are the ones with Diesel technology, something the Japanese for many years snubbed their nose at. Finally Nissan and Honda have developed clean diesel engines, Toyota apparently doesn't see the need. We'll see how wise that is, especially when the Germans start rolling out their 70mpg Diesel Hybrid powertrains.

Yes, a Prius gets 50mpg, but so does a Passat TDI, with more room, better handling, a nicer interior, and much, much more torque. The car flat out outmatches even Toyota's own Camry Hybrid for economy.

To the poster above who was questioning the enviromental factor of diesel powertrains - Type "Clean TDI" into Google and educated yourself, please. That type of scepticism is the one thing holding back these efficient motors from the North American market (which is obsessed with Hybrids). Don't get me wrong, Hybrids are great, but they are hardly the only way to acheieve high mileage figures. Again, 50% of Europeans get it, Americans have their decades old prejudices of smelly noisy engines. It's really time to wake up and get with it.

Thankfully, with the waiting lists of the new Jetta TDI nationwide, that tide seems to be slowly turning.
When the Germans start to roll out their diesel hybrids, Toyota will be into their 3rd generation of turbo diesel hybrids

Are you using the Euro rating of the Passat TDi 50MPG? Because the Euro rated Prius is like 70MPG
Old 09-15-08, 07:14 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I checked out the UK VW and Toyota sites so Imperial numbers.

Prius: 65.7 MPG (combined)
2.0L Passat TDI: 48.7 MPG (combined)
Old 09-15-08, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
The only ones who should be embarrased is Toyota. The Germans are the ones with Diesel technology, something the Japanese for many years snubbed their nose at. Finally Nissan and Honda have developed clean diesel engines, Toyota apparently doesn't see the need. We'll see how wise that is, especially when the Germans start rolling out their 70mpg Diesel Hybrid powertrains.

Yes, a Prius gets 50mpg, but so does a Passat TDI, with more room, better handling, a nicer interior, and much, much more torque. The car flat out outmatches even Toyota's own Camry Hybrid for economy.

To the poster above who was questioning the enviromental factor of diesel powertrains - Type "Clean TDI" into Google and educated yourself, please. That type of scepticism is the one thing holding back these efficient motors from the North American market (which is obsessed with Hybrids). Don't get me wrong, Hybrids are great, but they are hardly the only way to acheieve high mileage figures. Again, 50% of Europeans get it, Americans have their decades old prejudices of smelly noisy engines. It's really time to wake up and get with it.

Thankfully, with the waiting lists of the new Jetta TDI nationwide, that tide seems to be slowly turning.
No one told the Euro companies sell us crappy diesels and sell the good ones in Europe. Lets not forget diesel fuel costs more than unleaded.

Both are good alternatives to just regular fuel.

Old 09-19-08, 10:37 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Again, 50% of Europeans get it, Americans have their decades old prejudices of smelly noisy engines. It's really time to wake up and get with it.
That's because diesel is cheaper in some countries and taxes. E.g. UK's CO2 tax favours diesel cause they have low CO2 emissions. There are also corporate tax breaks with diesel cars.

Besides, would you rather have a 1.4 litre Corolla or a 2.2 litre diesel? a no brainer, right?
Old 09-20-08, 12:45 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one told the Euro companies sell us crappy diesels and sell the good ones in Europe. Lets not forget diesel fuel costs more than unleaded.

Both are good alternatives to just regular fuel.
Crappy Diesels? What in the hell is crappy about achieving 50mpg out of a Passat? Those TDI engines are far from "crappy", I used to own one. I had a 2001 Jetta TDI. That car consistantly got 50mpg and when I sold it, it retained its value like nuts.

And yes, the Passat TDI (sold in 2005 only) did in fact achieve 50mpg on the highway, in real driving. Go search for real world reports. It was a great motor, in a great car.
Old 09-20-08, 03:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Crappy Diesels? What in the hell is crappy about achieving 50mpg out of a Passat? Those TDI engines are far from "crappy", I used to own one. I had a 2001 Jetta TDI. That car consistantly got 50mpg and when I sold it, it retained its value like nuts.

And yes, the Passat TDI (sold in 2005 only) did in fact achieve 50mpg on the highway, in real driving. Go search for real world reports. It was a great motor, in a great car.
you do realize that Toyota has one of the best 4cly diesel engines on the market in Europe?

Actually, for past 2-3 years, German magazines have rated Toyota 4cly diesels better than VW ones... That includes new 2.0 common rail diesels from VW.