Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

20 ways you waste money on your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Gotcha on the fuel thing. Makes sense.

Old 09-14-08, 08:04 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
Once again, most car care experts also happen to change oil for a living. Like I said, next time you take the Sub in for an oil change - get your butt down there and grab a cup of the old stuff and send it in for an analysis. I think you will be surprised.....
It's not the oil, but the additives that break down. You also did not account for the oil filter.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but i'm not saying that you're right either.
Old 09-14-08, 08:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
It's not the oil, but the additives that break down. You also did not account for the oil filter.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but i'm not saying that you're right either.
Well some of those additives are there to make the oil last longer . But hey, there is an easy answer to this - go get your oil analyzed at your next oil change.
Old 09-15-08, 06:54 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty good list for most non enthusiast drivers. those of us who are enthusiasts kind of take things to the extreme; we know we're blowing money but we dont' care!
i agree with the oil analysis. send it in; it's cheap and you can actually save money if your oil is working well up to 10k miles or so instead of just dumping it out before it's really necessary. a lot diesel guys i know are running ove r 10k mile intervals after they've been analyzed. of course they're using amsoil, or other high end oils too. regular dino oil won't get you to those high mile intervals for the most part.
Old 09-15-08, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Once again, most car care experts also happen to change oil for a living. Like I said, next time you take the Sub in for an oil change - get your butt down there and grab a cup of the old stuff and send it in for an analysis. I think you will be surprised.....
I sometimes do it myself. On the 2.5s, it's a cinch. Both the oil filter and drain plug are right there, up front, just under the front bumper...and the high ground clearance of some Subies means you don't have to fool around with a set of ramps either.