Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 7 Worst Ways to Mod Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 07:57 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are fake bov's available? wtf....
Old 09-18-08, 08:17 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Not gonna lie, I actually kind of like some of those crazy Japanese cars haha

Like this xB-- I've seen it in person at Scion shows/meets and I gotta say, while it may be extreme, you can tell a lot of work was put into it, inside and out:

Old 09-18-08, 08:24 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19psi
It basically makes turbo sounds through a speaker. You press a button and it emits a blow off noise.
http://www.sunamiturbo.com/
Old 09-18-08, 08:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 19psi

Old 09-18-08, 08:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
The shocks need to be replaced too. Changing the sway bar would also be optimal.
I disagree. It depends on which springs are used.
The shocks and/or struts need to be changed only for serious drops. I don't believe shocks need to be replaced with a mild 1 inch drop. Some aftermarket shocks just make the ride stiffer but don't last as long as stock shocks. Some coilovers give out as well.
For slammed cars, yes. I'd use coilovers, sways and camber adjustments if necessary. WHich they probably wouldn't with a good quality set of coils.
FOr slammed cars with springs, definitely change it all.
Old 09-18-08, 10:38 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IntegresS
Not gonna lie, I actually kind of like some of those crazy Japanese cars haha

Like this xB-- I've seen it in person at Scion shows/meets and I gotta say, while it may be extreme, you can tell a lot of work was put into it, inside and out:
i dont mind it either. as long as the workmanship is good, i'd rather see people doing something to a car rather than nothing and leaving it showroom boring.

Originally Posted by Koma
It basically makes turbo sounds through a speaker. You press a button and it emits a blow off noise.
http://www.sunamiturbo.com/
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
dear god, no wonder the import "tuners" are looked down upon by a lot of people. **** like that running around make me embarrassed to call myself an import tuner fan.
Old 09-18-08, 11:37 AM
32SC
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS

how does the trunk close???
Old 09-18-08, 02:22 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need a blow-off valve with a turbo folks. You can have a diverter valve instead. I have a twin turbo and it doesn't sound that bad when I drive around. I hate that noise.
Old 09-18-08, 05:11 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I disagree. It depends on which springs are used.
The shocks and/or struts need to be changed only for serious drops. I don't believe shocks need to be replaced with a mild 1 inch drop. Some aftermarket shocks just make the ride stiffer but don't last as long as stock shocks. Some coilovers give out as well.
For slammed cars, yes. I'd use coilovers, sways and camber adjustments if necessary. WHich they probably wouldn't with a good quality set of coils.
FOr slammed cars with springs, definitely change it all.
I am pretty sure they were talking about the "slammed look" when they said ,quote...
The “slammed” look has been the hot ticket for a while now. It’s a simple way to take your otherwise stock car and add a healthy dose of sex appeal and sportiness. Lowering a car puts the center of gravity, well…, lower, allowing the car to handle better and (assuming it’s done properly) experience less body roll through the curves.
So although I agree that you "may" not need to changes shocks ect,ect for a mild drop , in this instance we are talking serious drops in the cars height which is what I was commenting on.
Old 09-18-08, 06:13 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mex lex
And those stupid chrome side 'vents'
Those things are so cheap looking. Those big wings aren't any better.
Old 09-18-08, 06:21 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

blow off sounds cool...turbo whistling louder as you rev is also cool...turbo whistle for 2 hours at highway speeds...UNCOOL
Old 09-18-08, 06:47 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

haha nice find.
Old 09-18-08, 08:55 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
blow off sounds cool...turbo whistling louder as you rev is also cool...turbo whistle for 2 hours at highway speeds...UNCOOL
how can you boost for two hours straight? the turbo doesnt do anything when your cruising....
Old 09-19-08, 06:15 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SilverBull
You don't need a blow-off valve with a turbo folks. You can have a diverter valve instead. I have a twin turbo and it doesn't sound that bad when I drive around. I hate that noise.
a diverter valve is another name for a recirculated blow off valve. same thing, same purpose, just piped back into the intake for mass air setups. still "blows off", you just dont' hear it.

Originally Posted by wolverine
how can you boost for two hours straight? the turbo doesnt do anything when your cruising....
anytime you go up a small hill, you'll start to get into boost, or just a little throttle to pass a truck; unless you're running a drag type turbo setup.

you can pretty much hear it all the time on a freeway drive unless you're coasting or on level ground. i love it, still, after all these years of driving turbo cars. my truck is modded and that thing sounds like a semi truck going down the freeway, turbo spooling anytime i hit a small hill, or accelerate slightly.
Old 09-19-08, 06:20 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I am pretty sure they were talking about the "slammed look" when they said ,quote... So although I agree that you "may" not need to changes shocks ect,ect for a mild drop , in this instance we are talking serious drops in the cars height which is what I was commenting on.
I know you know but there was a member who seemed to be unsure after reading the posts. I just wanted to make sure it was clear.

Quick Reply: The 7 Worst Ways to Mod Your Car