Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 7 Worst Ways to Mod Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
in the diesel truck community, it' s common practice to add 100+hp and 250+ lb ft. torque by a simple programmer. some of these trucks have over 500k miles with that power level since mile 1and still have no issues and are worked hard every day towing and hauling.
Truck diesels DO wear out with miles, but they do so in a different way than gas engines do. The reason you see big-rig engines go 500,000 to 1 million miles is because they have inner, removable cylinder liners that can go in and out of the block. It's the big, heavy, diesel block that goes up to a million miles, not necessarily the moving parts inside. Piston rings and cylinder walls wear in a diesel just like a gas engine....they also have to be replaced or overhauled every couple of hundered thousand miles. But, with the big diesels, they just re-use the same block and put new cylinders, rings, bearings, etc..., in it. So the block goes up to a million miles....the engine inside, a couple of hundered thousand, more or less like a gas engine.
Old 02-18-09, 06:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mex lex
And those stupid chrome side 'vents'
I was going to say the same thing. I see them on a lot of cars in AZ. They dont realize it looks so ghetto. They think they are fooling us
Old 02-18-09, 06:50 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was going to say the same thing. I see them on a lot of cars in AZ. They dont realize it looks so ghetto. They think they are fooling us
Exactly, I hate that here in AZ every other car I see has those things. I see them on every make and style car too. The worst ones are when they crooked and misaligned
Old 02-18-09, 06:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mex lex
Exactly, I hate that here in AZ every other car I see has those things. I see them on every make and style car too. The worst ones are when they crooked and misaligned
I saw a Camry with those things.

Ok, you guys are making me want to start a thread called styling cliches (not just the ghetto ones).
Old 02-19-09, 05:38 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Truck diesels DO wear out with miles, but they do so in a different way than gas engines do. The reason you see big-rig engines go 500,000 to 1 million miles is because they have inner, removable cylinder liners that can go in and out of the block. It's the big, heavy, diesel block that goes up to a million miles, not necessarily the moving parts inside. Piston rings and cylinder walls wear in a diesel just like a gas engine....they also have to be replaced or overhauled every couple of hundered thousand miles. But, with the big diesels, they just re-use the same block and put new cylinders, rings, bearings, etc..., in it. So the block goes up to a million miles....the engine inside, a couple of hundered thousand, more or less like a gas engine.
while you're right about the liners and such on heavy duty class 8's, i have to disagree somewhat when it comes to light duty diesels as found in the ford, dodge and gm trucks. seriously, these engines are unopened, untouched for 500k miles and running great, even after being modified for the the last couple hundred thousand.
yes the rings and walls will wear over time, but it's just a longer amount of time compared to a gas engine.
Old 02-19-09, 05:49 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
umm... the video they put for the cheap exhausts...

http://www.spike.com/video/rx7-exhaust-system/3026018

i dont know about you but arnt rx7's supposed to sound like that?
umm yeah arnt they supposed to sound like that? bad example of a cheap exhaust imo
Old 02-19-09, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RX 7's don't sound good.