Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy shots: 2011 Audi A7 test mule crashes at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 07:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Spy shots: 2011 Audi A7 test mule crashes at Nurburgring

Spy shots: 2011 Audi A7 test mule crashes at Nurburgring

Posted on Tuesday 16 September 2008

Audi is determined to eclipse its main rivals in the luxury segment and will be releasing an onslaught of new models over the next seven years to nearly double its offerings to 40 models. We recently saw the introduction of the new Q5 SUV as well as confirmed plans for a new entry-level A1 minicar, and now we have spy shots of a vehicle that fits in at the other end of the spectrum. These latest spy shots depict a test-mule for the upcoming A7 that has crashed in front of the Porsche test center at the Nurburgring.

While the vehicle is hidden under the sheet metal of the current A6 sedan we can gather a few minor details. Namely, we can see that it will feature a significantly wider track than the A6. Previous spy shots of a masked prototype also showed that it will have a generous wheelbase but relatively short overhangs.

The Audi A7 will initially be offered as a hard-top but will be joined by a soft-top four-door convertible towards the end of 2010. Positioned between the A6 and A8 flagship, the new A7 will have to compete with the upcoming Aston Martin Rapide and Porsche Panamera four-door coupes but will be unique in the market due to its convertible option.

A very wide range of powertrains will be offered in the A7 and its S7 and RS7 sport-focused variants, including diesel-electric hybrids to 600hp (450kW) V10s. The hybrid drive is expected to show up first in the company’s Q5 soft-roader, making its A7 appearance later next year, according to documents obtained by AutoWeek. The new hybrid models, which will be available with either diesel or petrol V6 engines, will also feature new lithium-ion batteries developed in a joint-venture between parent company Volkswagen and Sanyo.

The more ordinary A7 variants will be powered by a pair of petrol V6s. The first, a 204hp (152kW) 2.8L engine in the base model, while a 3.0L supercharged engine making 300hp (225kW) will be the first step up. An upgrade to S7 trim will bring with it another 94hp (70kW) in the form of a 4.0L V8. The RS7 range topper will get the same 5.2L V10 from the RS6 but power will be boosted to 600hp (450kW).

A six-speed manual gearbox and eight-speed automatic will be available in the lower-spec models, while a seven-speed dual-clutch unit is also expected to be offered in the higher-performance variants. U.S. models are also expected to get Audi’s quattro AWD standard, though it’s not known if European market variants will have a FWD option. Audi’s new torque-vectoring system will also be part of the package.

Air suspension will replace the standard spring-based system found in other Audis. The change is designed to help the car compete with the progenitor of the four-door coupe genre, the Mercedes CLS. Sales of the car are only expected to reach the 40,000 mark, but the image boost it will offer with its high-tech features and glamorous look - especially in the soft-top variant - are important for Audi’s development as a brand.
source
Old 09-16-08, 08:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We won't get to see the hybrids or the MT versions. Which is ashame cause I do know a few Audi buyers (my dad included) who would have taken the A6 with a stick.
Old 09-16-08, 09:40 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

ya it's too bad we are seeing less and less manuals, but honestly the reason we are especially here in the us is because there were too many warranty claims on slipping clutches because people don't know how to drive an awd car with a clutch without burning it up. the last generation a6 was offered with a sixspeed manual and twinturbo 2.7 v6 from 02-04, and i got one
Old 09-16-08, 09:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by audi2nr
ya it's too bad we are seeing less and less manuals, but honestly the reason we are especially here in the us is because there were too many warranty claims on slipping clutches because people don't know how to drive an awd car with a clutch without burning it up. the last generation a6 was offered with a sixspeed manual and twinturbo 2.7 v6 from 02-04, and i got one
How did you get one? My dad had an 02 2.7L bi turbo and they told him that there was no MT available on the A6 anymore.
Old 09-16-08, 09:51 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

they are rare, i've only seen one other for sale on our lot, but in seattle i've seen probably 5-6 out of 2000000 a6's are mt, so needless to say when this one came in on trade i jumped on it, its blk on blk sport package bbs wheels you can find em on autotrader you just need to specify the transmission when u search
Old 09-16-08, 10:37 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Well, that's what mules are for... to figure out all the bugs NOW before they go into production.
Old 09-16-08, 02:09 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I bet that guy's cookin up a really good excuse and feeling like ish.