Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How do you feel that the BMW 1 Series has impacted the company's brand image
I feel that it has strongly impacted BMW's brand image in a negative manner
3.28%
I feel that it has somewhat impacted BMW's brand image in a negative manner
19.67%
I feel that it has neither had a positive nor negative effect on BMW's brand image
42.62%
I feel that it has somewhat impacted BMW's brand image in a positive manner
29.51%
I feel that it has strongly impacted BMW's brand image in a positive manner
4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think that the 1 Series has affected BMWs brand image in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08 | 06:08 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i think some of you guys forget that comparing cars is a matter of opinion unless you're talking objective statistics....
Old 09-19-08 | 07:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

FKL-

I am no longer going to debate the issue with you considering your tone and personal attacks.

I think it's safe to say that you really like the 1 Series, and I do not share the same level of enthusiasm. I think it'd be a great overall car if it was priced from about $25-$40,000, but not for the $50K that it fetches in the upper models. To me, there are far more compelling cars on the market for that much money, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the 1 series is still probably one of the best driving cars today.

I also do not believe that any premium brand (Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc) should dip below entry level luxury because it takes away from their exclusivity and in a lot of ways, drops the brand down a notch in price, features, and image. I would say the same thing if Lexus introduced something smaller than the IS...there is no need for it as a premium brand.

As the original post and poll asked for, these are my opinions

Let's leave it at that.
Old 09-19-08 | 10:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I will give you the raw deal.. Whatever follows in this thread will be water off my back as I am no fanboy & just love exciting cars period.. Here is my take.. The 1 series has been a hit here in the states and already has a following. The car is by no means 'cheap' from a build quality fit & finish standpoint, nor is it cheap from a price standpoint. As far as prestige is concerned, this car is still a BMW and the interior is traditional BMW. The 1 series is a dream to drive. It has incredible braking(exclusive 6 pots)handeling, engine, suspension. Interior room will amaze many as it is similar in size inside & out to the E46 3 series. This car will have its naysayers no doubt (most have never driven the car) but it is an excellent package... To truly experience this car for yourself, you must drive it..

Make your report worthy by getting reaction and commentary from participants at this event making its rounds.. Sign up..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+driving+event

Good luck on your report.
- BMW stated that there are dissapointed with 1 series intial sales in the USA (recent report to shareholders).
- Interior of 1 series not an luxury vehicle. My best buddy got one, and my wife (who could not care less about Toyota/Lexus or whatever else) that rode in it commented how interior is very cheap compared to Euro Rav4 that we had. And yes, it is cheap for hatchback that costs 15k more than Corolla.
Old 09-19-08 | 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
- BMW stated that there are dissapointed with 1 series intial sales in the USA (recent report to shareholders).
Well, what do they expect? They made it too expensive (at U.S.-market prices) by not offering 4-cylinder and decontented versions. The American-spec 1-series turned out to be nothing but a 90%-scale 3-series with the same drivetrains....and almost the same prices.

I said at the time....and still do.....that policy was a mistake. BMW, in America, needs to introduce REAL entry-level models. They they WILL be able to increase their sales, particularly in these hard times when a lot of people don't have the money for expensive cars.

- Interior of 1 series not an luxury vehicle. My best buddy got one, and my wife (who could not care less about Toyota/Lexus or whatever else) that rode in it commented how interior is very cheap compared to Euro Rav4 that we had. And yes, it is cheap for hatchback that costs 15k more than Corolla.
No offense to your buddy or your wife, but I have to disagree here. The 1-series that I have seen and reviewed, I thought, had interiors just as good, materials-wise, as that of the 3-series, and the same superb steering/chassis feel. Perhaps those are some of the reasons why they sell at 3-series prices.

BMW, however, did make one good marketing move with the American-spec 1-series......no You-Know-What **** on the console. That turns off some potential BMW buyers

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-19-08 | 10:55 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, what do they expect? They made it too expensive (at U.S.-market prices) by not offering 4-cylinder and decontented versions. The American-spec 1-series turned out to be nothing but a 90%-scale 3-series with the same drivetrains....and almost the same prices.

I said at the time....and still do.....that policy was a mistake. BMW, in America, needs to introduce REAL entry-level models. They they WILL be able to increase their sales, particularly in these hard times when a lot of people don't have the money for expensive cars.

No offense to your buddy or your wife, but I have to disagree here. The 1-series that I have seen and reviewed, I thought, had interiors just as good, materials-wise, as that of the 3-series, and the same superb steering/chassis feel. Perhaps those are some of the reasons why they sell at 3-series prices.

BMW, however, did make one good marketing move with the American-spec 1-series......no You-Know-What **** on the console. That turns off some potential BMW buyers
i agree 100% here. with the current economy and nothing brighter for the next few years, many people would love to have a bmw with the associated quality and drivability at less cost. teh 1 series would have been it if sold at $25k for the entry level.
all these german companies already make and sell tons of economy versions in the rest of the world, americans are just ill informed brand snobs who think that bmw (and MB and audi) is only an expensive luxury car maker.