Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How do you feel that the BMW 1 Series has impacted the company's brand image
I feel that it has strongly impacted BMW's brand image in a negative manner
3.28%
I feel that it has somewhat impacted BMW's brand image in a negative manner
19.67%
I feel that it has neither had a positive nor negative effect on BMW's brand image
42.62%
I feel that it has somewhat impacted BMW's brand image in a positive manner
29.51%
I feel that it has strongly impacted BMW's brand image in a positive manner
4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think that the 1 Series has affected BMWs brand image in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08 | 09:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Default Do you think that the 1 Series has affected BMWs brand image in the US?

Interestingly enough, my market research class is conducting marketing research on how smaller and cheaper cars like the 1 series are affecting the buyer perceptions concerning brand image of what have traditionally been upscale or luxury brands. This is part of a larger study about consumer attitudes towards luxury goods and brands.

So, how do you feel that the BMW 1 Series has affected the company's brand image (if at all)?
Old 09-17-08 | 09:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I will give you the raw deal.. Whatever follows in this thread will be water off my back as I am no fanboy & just love exciting cars period.. Here is my take.. The 1 series has been a hit here in the states and already has a following. The car is by no means 'cheap' from a build quality fit & finish standpoint, nor is it cheap from a price standpoint. As far as prestige is concerned, this car is still a BMW and the interior is traditional BMW. The 1 series is a dream to drive. It has incredible braking(exclusive 6 pots)handeling, engine, suspension. Interior room will amaze many as it is similar in size inside & out to the E46 3 series. This car will have its naysayers no doubt (most have never driven the car) but it is an excellent package... To truly experience this car for yourself, you must drive it..

Make your report worthy by getting reaction and commentary from participants at this event making its rounds.. Sign up..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+driving+event

Good luck on your report.
Old 09-17-08 | 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think the 1 series timing was dead on (compared to a useless tank like the X6 ) so I think it's helped BMW.
Old 09-17-08 | 09:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

I personally think the thing is fugly. That being said it's still a solid car and a great "starter" BMW. Well optioned the thing is still pretty expensive so I don't see it hurting BMW's image at all. If they released a 20k car maybe, but the 1 series is a solid addition to the lineup.
Old 09-17-08 | 11:46 AM
LexFather

BMW is smart. They didn't bring us the other 1 series cars, the 120 hatchbacks. They didn't bring us their 4 cylinder cars.

They brought us only the coupe and only 6 cylinders to boot, to protect their image. IMO it worked (again).

i voted "I feel that it has somewhat impacted BMW's brand image in a positive manner" as BMW now has not one but TWO coupes under 30k. It helps BMW show they are sporty and willing to be different. There are some people who see 1 series and laugh, so perception for the car is not overly positive. Its one of those cars for "car guys/gals". The hairdresser 1 series convert doesnt' help either.

Bottom line, kudos to BMW for offering this car here and being smart enough to only offer 6 cylinder cars.
Old 09-17-08 | 12:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'd say give it a bit more time to tell the full effect.
Old 09-17-08 | 12:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I have yet to see one.

I actually think it would be quite popular if offered with a potent 4 cylinder that costs less than the 128.
Old 09-17-08 | 12:31 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I put slighlty positive because there are some old school BMW fans who say it has cheapen the brand, but overall, with sales, it has made it more accessible and honestly, as BITKAHUNA said, the timing, even though I am sure it was not planned completely this well, coincided with the advent of the small car and people looking for a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle.

The 1 series allows you the drive of a BMW, but people don't look at you and say it is killing the environment.

With that said, I would not get one, but I am also M3, M5, or M6 or bust!
Old 09-17-08 | 12:39 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

the way I see it, there are more douchebags in smaller cars
Old 09-17-08 | 12:40 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i've seen ONE.

and it looked damn compact and also very fast.
Old 09-17-08 | 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have to vote for a somewhat, but not totally, positive image. It acknowledges the fact that U.S.-market BMW's were too expensive, but doesn't really drop the price low enough.....the U.S.- market 1-series cost almost as much as their 3-series counterparts. If BMW really wants to improve their "image" in the U.S., they will offer more affordable cars.....period.
Old 09-17-08 | 02:06 PM
TripleL
No Substitute
CL Folding 1M

I voted 'somewhat in a positive manner'. When I see one on the road I see a car with prestige and what I would believe is a great commuter car.

In fact, I park in a lot for work that is near a college and there are 2 of these 1-series coupes in the parking lot. Both of them belong to students. I believe if they have a good experience with the car, and servicing it, I would think they potentially could be very good repeat customers for BMW for many years to come.
Old 09-17-08 | 04:40 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty neutral on it's image of BMW. Initially, I thought it was ugly, but saw a convertible yesterday and thought it was a pretty decent looking car.

That said, it may be a smaller 3 series, it ain't cheap. I doubt it will bring any more new buyers who have kept from coming to BMW just by bringing in a smaller car.

If poeple wanted a smaller and less expensive BMW, they get a MINI. It's no surprise MINI sales have taken off.
Old 09-17-08 | 07:58 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I saw one on the road several weeks ago so I just priced one on the BMW website and by time I finished I was up around $55,000 and more. Way too expensive for such a tiny car.
Old 09-17-08 | 08:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While I can understand and respect the 1 series, I have to question if it was the right move for the North American market.

BMW has always been about driving and they've always built machines that are the best at it. Through the decades, their position as an innovator ultimately gave way to them becoming a premium brand... as opposed to companies like Lexus or Infiniti that were created solely to be premium brands.

That fact makes me see both sides of the 1 series debate. On one hand, it's probably the most pure drivers car that the company currently builds and signifies a return to their roots. On the flipside, it's a car that offers features that can be had on a Corolla, is similar in size, but costs almost four times as much in some configurations. Yes, there are the engines and RWD layout that play a huge part of that, but it's hard to ignore the economy car dimensions, gimmicky styling, and low-rent interior. Additionally, the vast majority doesn't know or care about the difference between FWD and RWD, and might take the 1 series as an economy car based on size and dimensions. Taking it for an economy car would be a bit of a dig for the BMW brand.

My thought is that while the 1 series is a great car for BMW...I really don't know if I think it will ultimately be good for the BMW brand here in the US. As someone else mentioned, the car is already being laughed at by several people regardless of it's performance credentials. In the minds of American consumers, "BMW" means premium quality, design, features, and often times...size. The 1 series turns all of those notions on their head for the sake of being fun to drive. My belief is that most Americans see BMW as a premium brand before they necessarily see them as the choice for driving enthusiasts, which makes me think that the 1 series will be ridiculed by most but cherished by the true BMW fans. Problem with that is that the BMW fans aren't the majority of the car buying public...who might perceive the car as desperate.

I like the 1 series and I respect the car for what it can do, but not much else. Every time I see one, it's hard to not laugh a little at the awkward proportions and styling, and the price you know it commands relative to it's size and feature content. A great car to drive...but not much else. Unfortunately, the majority of the American public doesn't buy drivers cars. I am not implying that it won't sell, but I think that the 1 series as a whole, might be received as desperate in the minds of American consumers who are so different from those in Europe.

For me, a brand whose bottom line model is something IS/3Series esque seems a lot more worthy of premium status. Brands like BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus are built upon an idea that something is special and worthy of a premium, and represent exclusivity. Small cars in the United States are typically thought of as cheap and thrifty. The 1 series will put several thousand more BMWs on the road which pecks away at the exclusivity, but it's also a small car which again, in the minds of American consumers, represents anything but what Lexus, BMW, et al stand for.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 09-17-08 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you think that the 1 Series has affected BMWs brand image in the US?