Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Time for the usual "What should Lexus change" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 11:11 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

1) Revamp the IS and GS with bigger more use-able backseats.

2) 7- speed DSG gearbox as standard in all models.

3) Keep the 3.5L 306hp V6 as base engine--it is a gem.

4) Have turbo versions of the 3 and 3.5 L V6s which are fuel efficient and tune-able for more power to appeal to the modders--that should also make Lexus cars more popular with the after-market(just look at the TT Aristo)

5) Hire away some Porsche/BMW/Lotus engineers in order to perfect the steering/ride/handling balance that these 3 makes seem to have mastered.

6) The F versions of the Lexus line-up should have some version of the GTR all wheel drive in order to give them an advantage over the AMG/M/RS cars around the track.

7) Instead of making the GS a second class citizen to the LS(I'm sure Toyota does it for marketing purposes), focus on making the GS the best in its class(5 series/E class/XF/A6). Too bad if it steps on the toes of of its bigger brother.

Lexus had a chance to deliver a knock-out blow to BMW and MB with the 3GS--all they had to do was deliver an updated version of the TOM's Aristo : a lighter but stronger chassis to the 2GS with same or increased interior space, handling/steering tuned by TOM's or Bilstein or Lotus and it would have been all over in 2005.

Instead the 3GS has merely enforced Lexus image as perennial runner-up to the Germans---nice executive sedan with dead steering and a sporty chassis let down by its suspension and a stylish body but with no space for the busy executive with a family.
Old 09-20-08, 12:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting thread in that we enthusiast have similar wants from our brand. Makes me wonder why we became so enthralled with Lexus in the first place.

Lexus and Toyota seem really reluctant to change too much....and for good reason. Toyota has gotten to the top of the mountain with their current formula. It would seem risky to deviate too far from that formula. Especially just to please a small segment of enthusiasts. One thing keeps us in favor: greed. The aftermarket has proven to be fruitful. The greed of big companies will not let it dismiss us. There's hope. I'll know for sure when I see that IS coupe in a showroom. Heck, even the LFA...when I see that I'll know there's hope. Until then I don't believe much change is coming.

Disclaimer: These editorial comments are in no way a reflection of Clublexus, Lexus Corp or Toyota Corp; their subsidiaries nor partners. Just one man's opinion.
Old 09-20-08, 01:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The IS convertible is coming...scheduled for Paris Auto Show in the beginning of October.

There's an informal list of CL wants for Lexus, which is continued here...one item to check off the list: passenger seat memory for the LS. After 19 years, now LS goes from 3 seats with memory to 4 seats with memory. Progress is good.

One change I'm looking at with trepidation is the "Lexus i-drive" controller system which apparently will come with the next RX (likely at the Los Angeles Auto Show in Jan)...

Definitely like to echo many of the suggestions already posted.
Old 09-20-08, 06:12 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
The IS convertible is coming...scheduled for Paris Auto Show in the beginning of October.
The LF-A has been at several auto shows and we haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet. May never see it.
I won't believe anything until I see it in a showroom. Toyota just appears too greedy to change what they are doing.
Old 09-20-08, 06:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing Lexus has always bee deficient in are the drivetrain choices for each model.

A nice Coupe would be nice if not profitable. An image maker such as the LF-A would be nice.

And sorry, but dump the ES or make it AWD and upscale.
Old 09-20-08, 07:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
One thing Lexus has always bee deficient in are the drivetrain choices for each model.

A nice Coupe would be nice if not profitable. An image maker such as the LF-A would be nice.

And sorry, but dump the ES or make it AWD and upscale.
Last year they sold about 85K ES's with only a single model so I don't think they'll dump it.

I agree they should continue to upgrade it to keep it competitive in the segment.
Old 09-20-08, 07:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 09IS250
Not everybody wants AWD or RWD

There is the IS,GS,LS for those reasons
and not everyone wants a Lexus either. A FWD vehicle in their line up lowers their image IMO. May not be yours, but it is mine so respect it. The ES350 is a VERY nice car IMO also, drove a few myself. Thanks
Old 09-20-08, 08:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

just a question, but doesn't audi only offer aqd and fwd? just curious
Old 09-20-08, 08:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Guys ,we can argue this point all day long. You are not going to change my mind and I am not trying to change yours.

Regardless of how many they sell, regardless of wet weather ,etc. Lexus does still carries an image problem with Camry based products. Not for all of course but for a few certainly. I am sure if Lexus made a 10k economy car it would sell millions.

To add, I still believe the ES to be a great product. If you look at the the title perhaps you could add something yourself.

To add to the topic:

Eliminate Toyota boxes for parts, push their reliability even further as others are catching up, keep models up to date with the latest gadgets. Someone mentioned the new SC still has the old nav system for example.
Thanks.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-20-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 08:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

ALMOST EVERY lexus product is based on a Toyota

ES350-Camry
4Runner-GX470
Landcruiser-LX570
AVALON-LS???
ISX50-Corrolla

And so on..............................

Not trying to argue just making a point that why would they mess with something that sells?
Yes I know you have been trying to prove that point in several posts now when it only required one. Avalon is not on the LS platform and neither is the Corolla and IS the same. Just clarifying. You do have a point and I am not arguing that at all. Still does not change my mind.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-20-08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 08:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ES350-Camry
4Runner-GX470
Landcruiser-LX570
AVALON-LS???
ISX50-Corrolla

Not trying to argue just making a point that why would they mess with something that sells?
avalon to LS and corolla to IS? that shows me how much you do NOT know about cars. fwd vs rwd, what else do you want me to say
Old 09-21-08, 01:09 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 sedans LS GS ES IS
3 SUVs LX GX RX
2 sports coupe LF-A IS-C
3 hybrids LSh GSh RXh

What else I want Lexus to have? Probably a six speed manual for IS-F and IS-C. I wish Lexus would stay in the naturally aspirated engine format, not using forced induction in the future.
Old 09-21-08, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

ES350-Camry
4Runner-GX470
Landcruiser-LX570
AVALON-LS???
ISX50-Corrolla

The Avalon is NOT connected to the LS in any way. The LS is a RWD (and now AWD) V8. The Avalon is a FWD, transverse-mount V6, done on a stretched Camry platform.

The ISX50, similiarly, is not based on a Corolla. The Corolla is FWD with a transverse engine. All IS models have longitudional RWD or AWD layouts. The original IS300 was based on a non-U.S. market Toyota Altezza.

Your other comparisons are correct.
Old 09-22-08, 02:34 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

To 09IS250: The ISx50 and newest GS sedans share chassis with each other. The chassis is shortened for use in the ISx50. So far it's a Lexus chassis only. Not shared with any Toyota's let alone a Corolla.
Old 09-23-08, 02:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
and not everyone wants a Lexus either. A FWD vehicle in their line up lowers their image IMO. May not be yours, but it is mine so respect it. The ES350 is a VERY nice car IMO also, drove a few myself. Thanks
It's inexpensive luxury and most buyers want in in FWD rather than RWD. Especially where I live.

Quick Reply: Time for the usual "What should Lexus change" thread