Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Time for the usual "What should Lexus change" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 02:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time for the usual "What should Lexus change" thread

I tried to search for some of the old threads on this matter that I know exist, but to no avail.

Now that we have seen Lexus product plans out to 2011...what do you think they should continue to change in the coming years?

As we have all said before, I would really like to see more coupes more than anything. It's disappointing that the new 2 door IS is going to only be made in a hard top convertible...many people would prefer and enjoy a conventional coupe version of the car. I wish there were sedan, coupe, and hard top conv. versions of the IS, but maybe next generation since the car is due to be redesigned within 3 years.

I would also like to see a coupe version of the next gen GS with a hard top conv. option...whether they want to call this the "SC" or something new I do not care. I think it would be great to see them return to a midsize coupe with V6 and V8 options. Truthfully I think a coupe version of the current GS could be very hot but obviously it's too late in the model cycle for that.

I know that others have also expressed interest in an LS coupe...a la Mercedes CL. I think that would be another great idea, and could be an incredible showcase for the brand. Maybe this car should pick up the "SC" name and the GS based model should be named something different.

Additionally, I would like to see Lexus get into the 2 seat roadster market and compete with BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche. I have met a lot of Lexus owners who have to purchase their "toys" from other companies because Lexus lineup is relatively conservative. Working at a dealership I've met several people with NSXs, Corvettes, SLKs, SL55s, and Boxsters or 911s to park along side their Lexus as the weekend toy. Many of these people also often ask if Lexus has any fun products in the pipeline because they'd be willing to purchase. There is definitely a market for it.

Past coupes, I'd like to see the long rumored production version of the LF-X or "JX" make it to the market...but I guess this would depend on how they package and design the GX 460 as to whether or not it's necessary. If they really can squeeze another 2mpg out of the new V8 and make the 3rd row a bit more usable, then they might be able to just keep RX-GX-LX and call it a day.

More Hybrids and F models across the range.

More options on leather, wood, and exterior colors across all models.
Old 09-17-08, 02:53 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make LF-A a real deal. Stop with all the usual blah blah blah talks.
Old 09-17-08, 02:56 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Bigger breaks.
Old 09-17-08, 02:59 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Make LF-A a real deal. Stop with all the usual blah blah blah talks.
talk? remember how long it took the GT-R to make it from concept to actual production? or should lexus follow acura's lead with the NSX and forever redesign it as pure vaporware?

anyhow, i would like to see the following from lexus:

- incorporation of 4 cylinder turbos as a frugal gas alternative, only available to lexus line
- is coupe, of course preferably as a real lightweight with a i4 - turbo
- rav4 based CUV with i4 turbo, 300hp di v6 awd as option
- gs sedan metamorphosis into a CLS contender (IS and GS seems to redundant in room size)
- true SC successor (without with and without convertible option). please no more "french rivera" themes!
Old 09-17-08, 03:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

radical changes in interior space - Toyota is class leading in interior space usage, while Lexus is exact opposite. There is really no need for that.

Everything else is coming anyway... i just hope this is already included on their plans.
Old 09-17-08, 03:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

different colored piping on leather, stiched leather on door panels and dash, BETTER BUILD QUALITY!!!! or how ever it was back in the day
Old 09-17-08, 03:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

full 150% mp3 player integration, with 50 bazillion different connectors: usb 5.0, firewire, rca, svideo, ipod
have a whole panel of connectors.

-higher resolution lcd screen. wtf, lcd's are cheap these days.
-and get rid of the tape deck.
-and use LED turn signals, not bulbs.
-use LS exhaust tips on all models.
-more interior LED's. lights are too dim.
-add tunable traction control to allow for bigger tires and wheels.
Old 09-17-08, 04:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just curious, how much higher resolution on nav screen? with the current one playing dvd or on nav mode i already don't see much pixels. given the largest size is 8" up front, it's not all that big

for me
- change the gs to a car with more space and more sporty (look at 5 and e)
- coupes, and more coupes. the sc430 won't cut it anymore. coupes and convertibles in both is and gs platform needed
- better quality control (back to the ls430 era)
Old 09-17-08, 04:51 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Despite all the talk, I still won't believe there will be an IS type coupe until I see it. So I'm adding it to my wish list.

-An IS type coupe.
-A GS sized coupe.
-A performance GS
-A true performance division like M and AMG where all models can receive enhancements, not just the IS.

Last edited by Ice350; 09-17-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Time for the usual "What should Lexus change" thread.
1. Add some brighter paint colors, and make the gorgeous Matador Red available throughout the Lexus line, not just on IS and GS models.

2. Go back to the better-quality interior materals like they had in the 1990's...there's too much lightweight cheap plastic in today's Lexus interiors.
And make the wood look like WOOD, not polished brown mirrors.

3. Keep the IS and GS, for the sport-sedan crowd, as sport sedans tuned towards handling, but put the higher-profile, softer-riding tires and softer suspensions back on the ES and LS. Those two are supposed to be traditional soft-riding luxury cars, not sports sedans. Lexus messed the ES up badly with the redesign a couple of years ago.

4. Do an AWD version of the ES350.

5. Conventional manual transmissions for the IS350 and IS-F.

6. Get rid of dealer price negotiating, like Saturn and Scion do, set the sticker prices to give the factory and dealerships a reasonable profit, and then sell each car at list, with no-haggle deals.

7. Put REAL spare tires and wheels back in the trunk (my 2001 IS300 had one)....this, IMO, should be a Government safety requirement. And every vehicle, that claims to be an upmarket one, even without a law, should have one.

8. Give the IS a back seat that human beings can fit in.

9. Remove the cutoff switch for the Trac/Stability systems. There is virtually no reason to turn it off for street driving. Drifting and tailslides do not belong on public roads, and driving on a race track or autocrossing voids the warranty.

10. Have Lexus execs/marketers read and monitor our comments here on CAR CHAT. We mean what we say, and most of us don't post just to be doing idle chatter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 05:39 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall

9. Remove the cutoff switch for the Trac/Stability systems. There is virtually no reason to turn it off for street driving. Drifting and tailslides do not belong on public roads, and driving on a race track or autocrossing voids the warranty.
I agree. While we're at it, let's set the speed limiter to 75 on all cars and have the stereo, cupholders, mirrors, etc nannied-out while the car is in motion. Also, the car should not start if the seat belts are not engaged or if there is conversation detected inside the vehicle.
Old 09-17-08, 06:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^^at least 85 haha. While i dont agree with mmarshalls statement one not being able to shutoff the systems, i do agree that it would prevent stupid people from doing stupid things on the road
Old 09-17-08, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by replica
I agree. While we're at it, let's set the speed limiter to 75 on all cars and have the stereo, cupholders, mirrors, etc nannied-out while the car is in motion. Also, the car should not start if the seat belts are not engaged or if there is conversation detected inside the vehicle.
You do have a point about stereo/NAV controls being overly complex and distracting....and thanks for bringing that up, ......that's something I should have mentioned above in my list, and forgot.

The government speed-limiting issue is going on, right now, in a CL DEBATE thread.......that's probably not a question we should bring up here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379405

The suggestion for having an starter-blockout for unfastened belts is not new. It was tried in 1974, and put on all new cars.......only to have it quietly removed less than a year because of enormous public uproar. What was happening was that people were putting grocery bags, boxes, packages, etc.....on the front seat next to them, and the sensors, detecting the weight even though it was not a human passenger, were shutting down the starter motor. It got a LOT of people real mad, real fast. Some resorted to keeping the belts buckled all the time, even with nothing in the seat....which meant an extra step of first having to un-buckle the front pasenger belt and then buckling it up again when someone got in. Other people got mad because they just wanted to start the car up and move it a couple of feet, and the belts were needed unnecessarily.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-08 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmd93
^^^^at least 85 haha. While i dont agree with mmarshalls statement one not being able to shutoff the systems, i do agree that it would prevent stupid people from doing stupid things on the road
For years, Lexus vehicles did not have formal VSC shut-offs (although it could be done, temporarily, through certain complex key, button, and ignition antics).

Lexus buckled under and started putting them in recently primarily because of pressure from the automotive press, not necessarily Lexus owners themselves. Most Lexus owners don't drift or do powerslides.
Old 09-17-08, 08:33 PM
LexFather

More coupes.
More F models
Hybrids that focus more on economy not performance. Leave the performance to "F"
Bring the special editions that Japans gets over

Quick Reply: Time for the usual "What should Lexus change" thread