Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I don't mean to pick on....(luxury MPG discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 01:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

Acura has no one to blame but themselves for the 5 speed. IIRC, they're touting it as a new transmission. Why not do a 6 speed instead of developing a new 5?
Old 09-19-08, 02:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think this is a more. Hate on Acura thread than a true MPG discussion. But oh well.

The Acura 3.7 is 300hp V6 working with super handling AWD and a 5 speed. The MPG is right where it should be for this vehicle. The IS350 is a little better because of the 6 speed and so is the GS350 but the Lexus models also benefit because the engines are a tad smaller and no AWD.
And what does that say about the engineering that Lexus can make a smaller more powerful (both HP and trq.), more fuel efficient engine than Acura. I guess Cadillac can too.
Old 09-19-08, 02:46 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Honda has never been a transmission company (remember that fiasco?). Where others use Aisin and ZF gearboxes (with advanced 7, 8 speeds), Honda designs and manufactures their transmissions themselves. Personally, I think ZF makes much superior transmissions to Honda. Porsche, VW, Hyundai, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes-Benz - They all use ZF gearboxes in many of their products, enough said. Acura needs to step up their game in this department. No dry/wet clutch gearboxes (which VW Group is moving to replace all current automatic transmissions over the next 5 years), and only 5 speed conventional auto trannys? - It's not nice.

The RL is the posterchild for everything that's wrong at Acura - No torque, bloated designs, and cars in search of more power. The TSX is a terrific car waiting for a new motor.
Old 09-19-08, 03:25 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I would agree that Acura EPA MPG numbers are not that impressive compared many of todays competition, but it is difficult to compare their current numbers to that of the older Lexus V8s since they were different rating systems. Also, real world numbers for many cars are very different. I know for a fact that my V8 Lexus cars used to get great freeway/highway MPG, but was very crappy in the city. On all my V8 Lexus cars city was nowhere near 16 MPG. I could get as low as 11-13 MPG on average. My combined right now on the 3UZ-FE is about 16 MPG and that is with highway/freeway mixed in.

That said, I do get what you are trying to say. Their MPG numbers should be a lot higher than what they are. From early on, I remember my Acura cars tend to run a little rich. I feel it is time for Honda/Acura to come out with a new modern day V6 engine. The J series engines are already 11+ years old.
I believe all the older Lexus V8 cars like the SC430 is now on the new ratings of HP and MPG
Old 09-19-08, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
The RL is the posterchild for everything that's wrong at Acura - No torque, bloated designs, and cars in search of more power. The TSX is a terrific car waiting for a new motor.
The RL's forte is general overall quality, not huge amounts of power. It is hard to find a better-built car...the materials inside and out are all first-rate.
Old 09-19-08, 07:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
I believe all the older Lexus V8 cars like the SC430 is now on the new ratings of HP and MPG
Could be, but the 4.3L in my GS sure doesn't get anywhere near the EPA numbers. Nor did my LS. Still though, not bad considering they are V8s.
Old 09-19-08, 07:53 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Could be, but the 4.3L in my GS sure doesn't get anywhere near the EPA numbers. Nor did my LS. Still though, not bad considering they are V8s.
I would think the extra weight of the GS and LS would contribute to the worse MPG on the cars you had, but I don't think the SC weighs much less
Old 09-19-08, 07:59 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
I would think the extra weight of the GS and LS would contribute to the worse MPG on the cars you had, but I don't think the SC weighs much less
I don't know the exact weight, but the SC430 with the retractable hard top hardware isn't exactly a light car It actually is pretty heavy. Some searches on the internet show a curb weight of 3840 lbs. Some weights for the GS show about a 3715 lbs.
Old 09-19-08, 10:26 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura...but when I saw the new F-150s super whatever they call it ratings, I went to the EPA MPG to see the 2009 rankings to compare.
What the hell?
Acura RL
16 City, 22 Hwy
Acura RDX
17 City, 22 HWy
Acura MDX
15 City, 20 Hwy
Acura TSX
m-20 City, 28 Hwy
a-21 City, 30 Hwy

So I went to Lexus and the old V-8 SC 430 gets 16 city and 23 Hwy! The 414hp IS-F gets 16 city and 23 Hwy.

So I start comparing and basically Acuras have the next size engine up in Economy but have smaller engines. Only the TSX has pretty respectable economy but it is a 4 cylinder. Then they have nowhere near class leading acceleration. Acura MPG is the exact opposite of Lexus hybrids!
Lexus hybrids "giving more, taking less"
Acura "taking more, giving less"

The 2009 RL LOST 2 Hwy MPG.

You would think Acuras are very fuel efficient but it seems they are horrible.

The new BMW 535 xi (AWD) gets 17 city and 25 highway WITH TURBOS.

A 382hp V-8 Mercedes E550 gets 15 city and 22 highway.
GS 460, 17 City, 24 Hwy
GS 350 AWD, 18 City, 25 Hwy

With cute utes, both the 6 cylinder Infiniti EX and BMW X3 3.0 get 17 city and 24 highway. The RDX has a turbo but is less efficient than the BMW and Audi turbos.

Even with the TSX, it gets THE SAME city MPG as the 6 cylinder and 4more hp IS 250 and 1 more MPG Hwy, 30 vs 29.

The new Audi A4 gets 23 City and 30 Hwy with a turbo 4 cylinder!

Here, go play with yourself

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

You simply cannot argue that "V-8s are outdated and inefficient" and "Acura played their cards right not offering bigger engines" when their current engines MPG is BEHIND the competition.
Dude, what has Acura done to you? You seem to some type of vendetta against Acura.

Anyway, here in DC area rush hour and city traffic I get 21-23 MPG and on long trips I get 33-36 mpg in my TL. IMO, Acura tends to underrate MPG. I was pleasantly surprised with the MPG of my TL.

I think Acura is very competitive in its perspective classes for MPG.
Old 09-20-08, 05:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
Dude, what has Acura done to you? You seem to some type of vendetta against Acura.

Anyway, here in DC area rush hour and city traffic I get 21-23 MPG and on long trips I get 33-36 mpg in my TL. IMO, Acura tends to underrate MPG. I was pleasantly surprised with the MPG of my TL.

I think Acura is very competitive in its perspective classes for MPG.
I am going to ask you the same thing, since 9 out of your 11 posts here is defending Acura. I am going to say this once, if you have an issue with ME, PM me.

The facts are stated, Acura MPG is pretty substandard, which is pretty odd considering their performance is average and they don't offer V-8s. Go to the link I posted and compare for yourself. I said realworld mileage varies with +/- and of course supporters will say "I get 60MPG" and the data is wrong.

I didn't say Acura gets "10 MPG", I said its pretty surprising compared to the competition, their MPG ratings are below the competition.

If you don't like facts, life will be hard.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-20-08 at 05:48 AM.

Old 09-20-08, 06:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I am going to ask you the same thing, since 9 out of your 11 posts here is defending Acura. I am going to say this once, if you have an issue with ME, PM me.

The facts are stated, Acura MPG is pretty substandard, which is pretty odd considering their performance is average and they don't offer V-8s. Go to the link I posted and compare for yourself. I said realworld mileage varies with +/- and of course supporters will say "I get 60MPG" and the data is wrong.

I didn't say Acura gets "10 MPG", I said its pretty surprising compared to the competition, their MPG ratings are below the competition.

If you don't like facts, life will be hard.
Old 09-20-08, 06:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I'll be at the UGA game next weekend. Woof

Old 09-20-08, 07:38 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I get 27+ mpg in mixed driving with my TSX. When I drove 120 mi round to work every day over the previous six months (at a new location now) I got over 31mpg. So I think the TSX estimates you posted are very conservative.

I forget to mention the part of course people on the internet will say their Acura gets 60 MPG and I'm making this up.
And you know I don't worship this car.
Old 09-20-08, 04:44 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It seems I have made a huge impact on Mike's distaste against Acura since I bought one. It's good to have so much power at my fingertips.

For what it is worth, even if the GS350 got 50mpg I would have passed it up in a heart beat. Same for the 5 series we checked out. MPG was at the low end of our priorities. Could not even tell you what the MPG of the 5 or M45 is.

Didn't realize Mike that you were so concerned with MPG these days. But yes, if my RL had better fuel mileage I would not complain. It gets FAR better MPG than my SC430 and GS4 though in the real world even if on paper it shows a 1-3 mpg difference. To add my GX is on the very low end for MPG. Again, so what, did not buy the GX for the MPG. If I could not afford the gas I would not have purchased them.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-20-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 04:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think this is a more. Hate on Acura thread than a true MPG discussion. But oh well.

The Acura 3.7 is 300hp V6 working with super handling AWD and a 5 speed. The MPG is right where it should be for this vehicle. The IS350 is a little better because of the 6 speed and so is the GS350 but the Lexus models also benefit because the engines are a tad smaller and no AWD.
it is Acura's fault they have 5 spee, not anyone else... so why not bash them for it? RL gets a lot worse mpg than GS350 AWD.

Quick Reply: I don't mean to pick on....(luxury MPG discussion)