Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I don't mean to pick on....(luxury MPG discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 10:37 PM
LexFather

Exclamation I don't mean to pick on....(luxury MPG discussion)

Acura...but when I saw the new F-150s super whatever they call it ratings, I went to the EPA MPG to see the 2009 rankings to compare.
What the hell?
Acura RL
16 City, 22 Hwy
Acura RDX
17 City, 22 HWy
Acura MDX
15 City, 20 Hwy
Acura TSX
m-20 City, 28 Hwy
a-21 City, 30 Hwy

So I went to Lexus and the old V-8 SC 430 gets 16 city and 23 Hwy! The 414hp IS-F gets 16 city and 23 Hwy.

So I start comparing and basically Acuras have the next size engine up in Economy but have smaller engines. Only the TSX has pretty respectable economy but it is a 4 cylinder. Then they have nowhere near class leading acceleration. Acura MPG is the exact opposite of Lexus hybrids!
Lexus hybrids "giving more, taking less"
Acura "taking more, giving less"

The 2009 RL LOST 2 Hwy MPG.

You would think Acuras are very fuel efficient but it seems they are horrible.

The new BMW 535 xi (AWD) gets 17 city and 25 highway WITH TURBOS.

A 382hp V-8 Mercedes E550 gets 15 city and 22 highway.
GS 460, 17 City, 24 Hwy
GS 350 AWD, 18 City, 25 Hwy

With cute utes, both the 6 cylinder Infiniti EX and BMW X3 3.0 get 17 city and 24 highway. The RDX has a turbo but is less efficient than the BMW and Audi turbos.

Even with the TSX, it gets THE SAME city MPG as the 6 cylinder and 4more hp IS 250 and 1 more MPG Hwy, 30 vs 29.

The new Audi A4 gets 23 City and 30 Hwy with a turbo 4 cylinder!

Here, go play with yourself

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

You simply cannot argue that "V-8s are outdated and inefficient" and "Acura played their cards right not offering bigger engines" when their current engines MPG is BEHIND the competition.

Old 09-18-08, 11:01 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My dad has the new MDX and it does not have 15mpg in the city...it gets better mileage than my 19-20 mpg city Lexus
Old 09-18-08, 11:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Kaydee
My dad has the new MDX and it does not have 15mpg in the city...it gets better mileage than my 19-20 mpg city Lexus
I forget to mention the part of course people on the internet will say their Acura gets 60 MPG and I'm making this up.

All I did was compare at the EPA website. Clearly mileage can vary, +/-

Old 09-18-08, 11:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that Acura EPA MPG numbers are not that impressive compared many of todays competition, but it is difficult to compare their current numbers to that of the older Lexus V8s since they were different rating systems. Also, real world numbers for many cars are very different. I know for a fact that my V8 Lexus cars used to get great freeway/highway MPG, but was very crappy in the city. On all my V8 Lexus cars city was nowhere near 16 MPG. I could get as low as 11-13 MPG on average. My combined right now on the 3UZ-FE is about 16 MPG and that is with highway/freeway mixed in.

That said, I do get what you are trying to say. Their MPG numbers should be a lot higher than what they are. From early on, I remember my Acura cars tend to run a little rich. I feel it is time for Honda/Acura to come out with a new modern day V6 engine. The J series engines are already 11+ years old.
Old 09-18-08, 11:54 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hehe you forgot that CVT...no, that VCM that shuts off cylinder under low load...don't know if it makes any difference but I like it being offered on more Lexus platforms

Then again my dad's MDX is an SUV, and I think its gas consumption is respectable for its class. But I do agree...not only in Acura lineup, Honda "performance" cars (Civic Si, S2000, Prelude and Acura's TSX) I find could do better on fuel efficiency. most of them average 20-22MPG on displacement less than 2500 cc....Must be the Vtec YO!!
Old 09-19-08, 06:43 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its surprising how pitiful their fuel economy is when Honda boasts being the most fuel efficient in America.

I'm still trying to figure out why there is no hybrid Acura or even one in the works.

Why they have a brand new 5 speed auto.

Why they are only now working on a V8.

Why Honda insists on V-teching the crap outta everything.

My roomates Legend is rated for 24 Hwy MPG. I realize that it was a different time in engine technology, but I can't believe how crappy it is for a 3400 lb. 200 HP car. My Subaru exceeds the 27 Mpg rating by quite a bit....Either I'm a better driver or Subaru has better engineers. Haha. Probably both.
Old 09-19-08, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura RL
16 City, 22 Hwy
Acura RDX
17 City, 22 HWy
Acura MDX
15 City, 20 Hwy

So I went to Lexus and the old V-8 SC 430 gets 16 city and 23 Hwy! The 414hp IS-F gets 16 city and 23 Hwy.
Gotta remember, Mike...........the reason the RL, MDX, and RDX let lower mileage ratings is the AWD, which adds weight and drag. The SC430 and LS-F, with larger V8s, are not burdened with this excess weight and drag.

For a more accurate mileage comparison, compare Lexus AWD vehicles with their Acura counterparts.

AWD, though, doesn't have to be a gas hog, if driven sensibly and at moderate speeds...I got 30-32 MPG on my Outback yesterday on a cruise-controlled 60 MPH or so from D.C. down to the beach for a late-season swim.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-19-08 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-19-08, 06:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

GS350 AWD: 18/25. Thats better than an auto Legacy GT. Turbocharging isn't always more efficient.
Old 09-19-08, 09:41 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Damn, that's pretty good comparing to my S2k that gets about 8 MPG... (not the typical driving of course)
Old 09-19-08, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta remember, Mike...........the reason the RL, MDX, and RDX let lower mileage ratings is the AWD, which adds weight and drag. The SC430 and LS-F, with larger V8s, are not burdened with this excess weight and drag.

For a more accurate mileage comparison, compare Lexus AWD vehicles with their Acura counterparts.

AWD, though, doesn't have to be a gas hog, if driven sensibly and at moderate speeds...I got 30-32 MPG on my Outback yesterday on a cruise-controlled 60 MPH or so from D.C. down to the beach for a late-season swim.
Mike I compared AWD vs AWD if you look at the list. I threw V-8s in there as most V-8 models weigh as much as an AWD car.

Old 09-19-08, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike I compared AWD vs AWD if you look at the list. I threw V-8s in there as most V-8 models weigh as much as an AWD car.

OK. I didn't see direct comparisons, but I'll take your word for it.

Today's V8's, admittedly, can be fairly economical if driven sensibly. I've heard of Corvette owners getting around 30 MPG in 6th gear with featherfooting.
Old 09-19-08, 11:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Today's V8's, admittedly, can be fairly economical if driven sensibly. I've heard of Corvette owners getting around 30 MPG in 6th gear with featherfooting.
I bet it's still faster than a TSX
Old 09-19-08, 11:46 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Again, my old IS AWD (with JoeZ pipe) consistently got 32-33mpg at 72-74mph driving to Chitown with temp in upper 50s, outside of traffic hours... it can be done.

As far as mileage goes, it only varies based on 17,000+ factors so anyone can achieve high numbers under prestine conditions... however, I do find it interesting how Acura/Honda is fading further behind Lexus/Toyota in the mileage/hybrid game.... and quickly...
Old 09-19-08, 11:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.6L V8 in the GS and LS can do 30+MPG in 60-65mph driving. That's better than Acuras 4cyl
Old 09-19-08, 12:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

You simply cannot argue that "V-8s are outdated and inefficient" and "Acura played their cards right not offering bigger engines" when their current engines MPG is BEHIND the competition.
I think this is a more. Hate on Acura thread than a true MPG discussion. But oh well.

The Acura 3.7 is 300hp V6 working with super handling AWD and a 5 speed. The MPG is right where it should be for this vehicle. The IS350 is a little better because of the 6 speed and so is the GS350 but the Lexus models also benefit because the engines are a tad smaller and no AWD.

Quick Reply: I don't mean to pick on....(luxury MPG discussion)