Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 08:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
i thought Buick ran out of business??
I guess Buick isn't doing a good job in the marketing department, lol.

You haven't heard of Lucerne, Lacrosse, or Enclave?
Old 09-19-08, 08:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really news. Buick execs have openly admitted, in public, that its future benchmark is Lexus.
I still find this kind of silly since Buick isn't even a true luxury line. So what is Cadillac for?? Shouldn't it be Cadillac shooting for Lexus and other luxury brands?

People often point out that Acura isn't at the level of Lexus, but Buick isn't even close to Acura's level.
Old 09-19-08, 10:14 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a GS with an XF grille shape.
Old 09-19-08, 10:52 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

doesnt that look like its based off the chevy malibu?
Old 09-19-08, 11:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I still find this kind of silly since Buick isn't even a true luxury line. So what is Cadillac for?? Shouldn't it be Cadillac shooting for Lexus and other luxury brands?
An RX350 isn't really that 'luxurious' (although a GREAT vehicle), and a Buick Enclave is VERY competitive (better in many ways).

People often point out that Acura isn't at the level of Lexus, but Buick isn't even close to Acura's level.
You obviously haven't looked at a Buick lately.
Old 09-20-08, 05:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
An RX350 isn't really that 'luxurious' (although a GREAT vehicle), and a Buick Enclave is VERY competitive (better in many ways).

I agree Buick is no different than Acura and Buick offers V-8s and I think a 6 speed. The Enclave is superb inside and out and is selling very well. IMO, Buick is an entry level luxury brand.
Once you get past the badge and image, Buick is FOR REAL.
The interior of this new car is on par with the new CTS it seems. I can appreciate they are making nice cozy, big autos and not falling for the damn "my car laps the Nurburgring in xxx minutes" like everyone else today.

Old 09-20-08, 06:38 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Actually I've driven them. The Enclave is very nice, the Lucerne and Lacrosse are junk. To say the two sedans compare to Acura is ridiculous. Buick's top of the line sedan is Toyota Avalon class which is below Acura's lowest car, the TSX. An Accord and Camry can be priced as high or higher than the Lucern.

Buick....
Attached Thumbnails Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all-2009-buick-lacrosse-08121351990003.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 06:38 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Acura.....
Attached Thumbnails Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all-2009-acura-rl-_9_.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Buick's biggest problem seems to be getting younger people to sign up....though the Enclave has lowered the average buyer age a little. It has a somewhat unfair brand image, like some Cadillacs, as a "Grandpa" car, although I've said before , and will continue to say, that there is no reason why younger people can't own and drive them. I had two used Buicks by the time I was 20 (in addition to one or two sportier cars, too)....and a close friend of mine had a sister Olds 88.
Old 09-20-08, 06:49 AM
LexFather

Actually I've driven them. The Enclave is very nice, the Lucerne and Lacrosse are junk. To say the two sedans compare to Acura is ridiculous. Buick's top of the line sedan is Toyota Avalon class which is below Acura's lowest car, the TSX. An Accord and Camry can be priced as high or higher than the Lucern.

Buick....
Way to compare the 50k RL with the oldest Buick, real fair. You also totally miss the point where Buick offers V-8s and 6 speeds. Acura clearly has better NAV and tech and better fit and finish but Buick is coming. Sorry but the top of the line Buick is above a TSX. The TSX loaded is where the top of the line Buick STARTS. It also is a measly 4 cylinder. Both brands are FWD mostly.

Mix it all up and they both brands are pretty even. Instead of people giving Buick a fair shake, people want to assume its old and crap and "baaaaaaaaaaa" their wooly ways to other brands and the usual suspects, including the Avalon and ES.

Looking at the pics of this new Buick, it looks to be even more formidable competition.

GM has done a fantastic job with Buick as of late.

Old 09-20-08, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually I've driven them. The Enclave is very nice, the Lucerne and Lacrosse are junk. To say the two sedans compare to Acura is ridiculous.

Why do you say that they are junk? True, they are not sports sedans (they're not supposed to be), and, like many sister GM cars, the rich-looking interiors are actually a thin layer of glitz on top of typical-GM plastic, but that is the case with many cars today. And, judging by the big drop in interior quality from the older Lexus ES330 to the ES350, they outdo the ES350's interior quality now in some areas. And, along with the Ford Fusion and its twins, Buicks have some of the best reliability records of any American-nameplate cars.

Now, you are correct that Acura still outdoes Buick in some areas.....powertrain efficiency, paint quality, and general fit/finish, to name a few.
Old 09-20-08, 06:52 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

If GM can deliver THIS, then they'll have something going and the younger people will come.

The Invicta concept...
Attached Thumbnails Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all-buick_invicta_press_image002.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 06:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you say that they are junk?
The sedans are basically Chevy Impala's with leather seats. They just feel like the old GM. I know GM is just starting to really turn it around now and 2010 will probably deliver a real car. But the current Lacrosse and Lucerne are NOT premium cars.
Old 09-20-08, 07:08 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Way to compare the 50k RL with the oldest Buick, real fair. You also totally miss the point where Buick offers V-8s and 6 speeds. Acura clearly has better NAV and tech and better fit and finish but Buick is coming. Sorry but the top of the line Buick is above a TSX. The TSX loaded is where the top of the line Buick STARTS. It also is a measly 4 cylinder. Both brands are FWD mostly.
The base price of the Lucerne (Buicks top sedan out of only two) is $28,415.
The base price of the TSX is $28,960. The Lucerne does top out higher but you're still dealing with the same basic car. And who want's a V-8 with $4 gas.
Old 09-20-08, 08:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to check out Opel Insignia to see how it might end up looking
http://www.opel-europe.com/insignia/

Quick Reply: Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all