Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 08:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The sedans are basically Chevy Impala's with leather seats. They just feel like the old GM. I know GM is just starting to really turn it around now and 2010 will probably deliver a real car. But the current Lacrosse and Lucerne are NOT premium cars.
I stand corrected with price, thanks I don't buy the gas is $4 arguement, people still want V-8s and its pathetic that Buick and Hyundai and Kia offer V-8s and not a supposed luxury brand.

If we say Buicks are gussied up Impalas, well guess what, the ES is a gussied up Camry, TL, a gussied up Accord and TSX is a Euro Accord with Acura badges.

I didn't say the current cars are premium, I said they are indeed ENTRY LEVEL luxury cars.

Old 09-20-08, 08:32 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Buick simply has no brand recognition amongst serious automotive buyers. Even Subaru outclasses Buick IMO.
Also have to keep in mind that GM needs to find where they want to market Buick as they continue to build the Cadillac brand as a Lexus competitor.

Buick should just be closed up to allow GM the flexibility and resources to continue it's core businesses. I could not even tell you the last time I saw a Buick on the road-in Southern California.

Anyone really miss Olds? Would you miss Buick if it went away?
Old 09-20-08, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree Buick is no different than Acura and Buick offers V-8s and I think a 6 speed. The Enclave is superb inside and out and is selling very well. IMO, Buick is an entry level luxury brand.
Once you get past the badge and image, Buick is FOR REAL.
The interior of this new car is on par with the new CTS it seems. I can appreciate they are making nice cozy, big autos and not falling for the damn "my car laps the Nurburgring in xxx minutes" like everyone else today.
Great post.

Yes, Buick is pretty focused. Now they do their "IS-F" type vehicle now and then (Gran National anyone? ) but it's mostly about cushy comfort.
Old 09-20-08, 08:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
You might want to check out Opel Insignia to see how it might end up looking
http://www.opel-europe.com/insignia/
Wow, that's awesome!

Old 09-20-08, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Buick simply has no brand recognition amongst serious automotive buyers. Even Subaru outclasses Buick IMO.
ROFL. Subaru? I consider Subaru to be economy cars with AWD. All respect to mmarshall, et al, and I do like Subarus.

Also have to keep in mind that GM needs to find where they want to market Buick as they continue to build the Cadillac brand as a Lexus competitor.
Cadillac has multiple performance models. Cadillac has many innovations over Lexus. But admittedly Cadillac does not have an LS competitor.

Buick should just be closed up to allow GM the flexibility and resources to continue it's core businesses. I could not even tell you the last time I saw a Buick on the road-in Southern California.
California's a pretty unique car market. Florida too to some extent, but here we have tons of Buicks.

Anyone really miss Olds? Would you miss Buick if it went away?
Yes, and yes. Would I miss Toyota (not including Lexus) if it went away? NO! They make NO interesting vehicles right now.
Old 09-20-08, 09:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

The lucerne "borrowed" the GS headlight so if we combine this new one, then we have a 2GS/3GS

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=buick+lucerne

Buick....wow, I remember back in the 80s, the Century was the ultimate luxury compared to our 79 chevette:
power steering, ac, power windows

The only Buick that I like right now is the enclave.
Old 09-20-08, 09:22 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Once you get past the badge and image,
That's the problem, most people will not get past the badge. They either base their decision on status, past ownership, reputation, etc and Buick does not rate up there in the minds of many as a viable alternative or even a decent car manufacturer. Most buyers do not even look at JD Powers or even care. The Enclave is OK, not great or good IMO, but a nice OK attempt and should they continue their progress they might do well in the market. Cadillac is GMs luxury division and I would venture to say that most looking for a GM product would rather have a Caddi than a Buick. Again-the whole badge thing. Buick makes about as much sense as Toyota coming out with another luxury car division.
Old 09-20-08, 01:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
You might want to check out Opel Insignia to see how it might end up looking
http://www.opel-europe.com/insignia/
Another example of how GM [and Ford] care more about the European market than their own domestic market. Let me guess, they think Americans wouldn't like a great car like this. Every Opel, from the beginning, should have been sold in America under one of GM's US badges. If they did, they wouldn't be on their way to bankruptcy.
Attached Thumbnails Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all-opel-insignia22.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 01:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

That is a good looking car for sure.
Old 09-20-08, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ROFL. Subaru? I consider Subaru to be economy cars with AWD. All respect to mmarshall, et al, and I do like Subarus.
Is this an economy car, bit? Not IMO. Believe me, I didn't choose an Outback for nothing.

Old 09-20-08, 03:29 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is this an economy car, bit? Not IMO. Believe me, I didn't choose an Outback for nothing.

I believe there is a lot of Toyota hiding in that Subaru? No?
Old 09-20-08, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I believe there is a lot of Toyota hiding in that Subaru? No?
No. The current Legacy-Outback platform was introduced in 2005, before Toyota bought into Subaru.

With the new 2008 Impreza and 2009 Forester, however (especially the Forester), you can clearly see the results of significant cost-cutting...........probably Toyota's pressure.
Old 09-20-08, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

That's nice looking. Def. better than I thought.

The Tribeca interior doesn't come close to an Enclave however.
Old 09-20-08, 07:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Do people realize that Buick isn't much bigger than Scion (the brand Toyota purposely limits production on). Of course, they each have 3 models but sales wise Scion sells about the same as Lacrosse and Lucerne combined. Enclave, does however, put Buick sales on top.

Just an observation of a brand that used to be among the biggest in the world.
Old 09-20-08, 10:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Do people realize that Buick isn't much bigger than Scion (the brand Toyota purposely limits production on). Of course, they each have 3 models but sales wise Scion sells about the same as Lacrosse and Lucerne combined. Enclave, does however, put Buick sales on top.

Just an observation of a brand that used to be among the biggest in the world.
Well the morons discontinued a big seller for them, the Regal for no damn reason. It sells well in China now.

The Opel INsignia should come back as the Buick Regal in China.

I'd rather Buick have a small lineup than a bunch of obvious rebadges.

Quick Reply: Yea, Buick doesn't copy Lexus at all