Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi traffic light detection system gets the green-light

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 03:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Audi traffic light detection system gets the green-light

Audi traffic light detection system gets the green-light

Audi's stoplight detection system, called Travolution, has been given the go-ahead for expansion in the company's hometown of Ingostadt, Germany. Travolution establishes a connection between a red light and a vehicle, so that as a specially equipped car moves toward a red light at an intersection, stop light gantries fitted with communications modules can let the car know when the light will turn green. The car then lets the driver know what speed he should maintain in order to pass through the intersection without having to brake for the light and then accelerate again.

The system's promise is in streamlining traffic flow, increasing gas mileage, and reducing emissions. An additional twenty A5 and A6 Avant models are being added to the fleet of cars with the technology, and fifty more stop lights will be fitted with modules. If you're in Inglostadt and you want to save time and money on your commute, follow the Audis.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/21/a...e-green-light/
Old 09-21-08, 03:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont know about this system but I can imagine most audi drivers will be looking down at the instrumental cluster much longer than they should, just to see if they can save themselves from braking/accelerating.
Old 09-21-08, 03:56 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know... for some reason, this seems like one of those "good on paper" ideas...
Old 09-21-08, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The car then lets the driver know what speed he should maintain in order to pass through the intersection without having to brake for the light and then accelerate again.
Traffic congestion, however, will often make that speed impractical or impossible to maintain. You don't want to make the green light.....only to rear-end the guy in front of you.
Old 09-21-08, 05:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds interesting but is an almost useless application in the real world and is actually a safety hazard. It certainly won't be implemented in the US.

I think luxury automakers are finally running out of feature ideas and come up with stuff like this.
Old 09-21-08, 06:41 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ that may be true, but i want it anyhow
Old 09-22-08, 02:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

it'll be one of those cool to have it just cuz i can add it to the list of $50,000 in options list kinda thing. just like the lexus auto park thing. WHO USES THAT?