Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What would you do if you see a baby not in the car seat?
Yell out the window to strap the baby in.
35.00%
Flag an officer down.
10.00%
Take down the plate and report it.
20.00%
Nothing-state your reason if you say nothing.
45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Baby not strapped in the car seat-what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Question Baby not strapped in the car seat-what would you do?

This morning on my way to work, I can see through the tinted window of another car that a baby was being held by an adult.
The baby was facing the window with the mother (I assume) and as I drove by, I gave a "WTH are you doing not putting the baby in the baby seat" face to that adult.

I then had to make my right turn into the office.

In a way, I was hoping to see an officer drive by to cite that driver.
I did take that plate down though.

A neighbor that we know had their baby died when their car went off the road minutes after the mother took the baby out of the car seat. Talk about bad timing

What would you do in this case?

If the parents were caught, would social service get involved for child endangerment?

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-22-08 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 10:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

I'd just let them be. It's their kid and if they want to stupidly endanger him/her then it's their choice, I just hope they can deal with the possible consequences.
Old 09-22-08, 10:20 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like that would bother me if I saw it, but beyond yelling or signing to them to act like a decent human being, I don't know if there is much else that could be done.

Granted, if a cop was around, I would tell them, but reporting later is all he said she said.

Look at Brittney Spears. There are pics of her with the baby in her lap and she didn't get any charges.

Sad really.
Old 09-22-08, 10:31 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What else you can do besides yell at them? Really sad some parents don't have sense of safety for their baby.
Old 09-22-08, 10:56 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

nothing

its not really my place to say anything. im not one to talk to strangers
Old 09-22-08, 11:01 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't your place to say anything really. I would have done nothing but said to myself,"Man, that is some messed up stuff." Who am I to rat them out?
Old 09-22-08, 11:03 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let it be, no such things as child seats in Asia, we all grew up being held in hands
Old 09-22-08, 01:50 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I saw a cop, I'd definitely flag them down. Yelling at the person will do nothing--if they don't care enough to strap their kid in, they certainly won't care what you have to say. Writing down the license plate probably sounds better than it would work in practice--I'm not sure what the cops would or could do based on a phone call.

I'd just let them be. It's their kid and if they want to stupidly endanger him/her then it's their choice, I just hope they can deal with the possible consequences.
Parent or not, you don't have a "right" to put your child in harms way, so you aren't allowed to make that "choice". Of course you would get a "Mind your own f*&^&^%$ business" response, and your effort would probably be fruitless, but I just don't think it's right to say you shouldn't take any action because someone has the "right" to do what they want with their own kids.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-22-08 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 02:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Look at Brittney Spears. There are pics of her with the baby in her lap and she didn't get any charges.
Anyone who thinks she does/did not get special treatment because of her celebrity is kidding herself. I'm sure she at least got a "visit" from child services.
Old 09-22-08, 02:08 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

And what if while you're yelling at them for being bad parents they rear end some guy and baby goes flying? No point in creating another distraction for them...
Old 09-22-08, 02:11 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just let it go. I mean its not fair to the baby but its their choice..

I recently saw some lady doing Coke while sitting in traffic with her kids in the back. Now luckily for her I couldnt get her plate in time or I would have called the cops.
Old 09-22-08, 02:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Just let the driver know & hope she/he will take immediate action, IMO that's the best you can do to get an immediate response ...
Old 09-22-08, 02:54 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not my baby, not my place

you could argue that if the parents aren't smart enough to prevent their baby from dying then its unlikely the baby has much of a shot anyhow
Old 09-22-08, 03:08 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

the army has a saying: Everyone is a safety officer, so anyone can call a cease-fire.

thats firing range talk for "if you see an unsafe act, address it, your are just as guilty as the person committing said act if something happens".

Whats really sad, is in many communities (mine included), if you go to your local police station and tell them you do not have and cannot afford a child seat, they will either give you one for free or give you a voucher.
Old 09-22-08, 04:15 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
the army has a saying: Everyone is a safety officer, so anyone can call a cease-fire.

thats firing range talk for "if you see an unsafe act, address it, your are just as guilty as the person committing said act if something happens".

Whats really sad, is in many communities (mine included), if you go to your local police station and tell them you do not have and cannot afford a child seat, they will either give you one for free or give you a voucher.
If you can't afford a child seat, I don't think it's wise to have a child then

I agree with everyone here about minding our own business. Like what was mentioned before, if they don't have the common sense to begin with, it's not like they'll do something about if someone told them.

I'm sure we all feel sorry for baby should something happen.

Quick Reply: Baby not strapped in the car seat-what would you do?