Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do I say this nicely.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 01:22 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caoboy
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...04#post3859204

Say it nicely by shutting down this thread.
I'm sure its more difficult then that. We don't know what it says in their contract with internet brands.
Old 09-23-08, 06:19 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
? something called design? do you know how many hours it takes to design a body kits and the designer trying to make it look right? just a piece of plastic... that's thoughtful
Question: Why does the authentic fiberglass Junction Produce kit need to be prepped & sanded to fit flush?? For being "authentic", it should have oem fitment right out of the box & be made of polyurethane instead of cheap fiberglass.. What were they doing with all of those hours of design & research??

I say no to cheap craftsmanship.. That is more important to me.
Old 09-23-08, 07:32 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it depends on what the "knockoff" part is exactly-- I know personally, if I can avoid it, I will not purchase a knockoff brand of anything, even if it's like 90% cheaper than the real deal. Back in the day I bought crappy no name coilovers for the integra (yes I was dumb back then hahah) and more so than the ride quality being horrible, the damn things broke and the front of the car started getting lower on its own because they broke -- granted being slammed looks nice, it sucked having my car get lower without my consent haha- I replaced then with Tein SS coilovers instead and I am very pleased
Old 09-23-08, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this but in general I'm absolutely with 1SICKLEX and rominl on this. Get the real deal.

To justify high prices, you have to have a) great quality, b) innovative design (that's hard to copy cheaply), and c) KEEP INNOVATING

People who like quality and great design will recognize the difference between the real thing and knock offs and those who buy knock offs that look like crap or fall apart will get what they paid for and won't really affect the real stuff.

Sometimes however, genuine parts are WAY overpriced (and over hyped) and sometimes they're just 'badged' generic stuff, and kind of beg to be knocked off. Some brands put out products that are expensive just because they're that brand. In those cases I have little sympathy.

I don't know, but are knock off body kits actually "illegal"? Can the 'design' of a body kit actually be copyrighted (or even patented) and that will be enforced? I guess even if it can, the legal cost of enforcing it can hurt the OEM.
Old 09-23-08, 08:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't know, but are knock off body kits actually "illegal"? Can the 'design' of a body kit actually be copyrighted (or even patented) and that will be enforced? I guess even if it can, the legal cost of enforcing it can hurt the OEM.
The rights granted under U.S. patents extend only in the U.S. & its territories and have no effect in other countries. Same holds true for Japan or any other country. Each country has its own patent laws and companies must make application for a patent in that particular country. Japanes based companies like J.P. Fabulous, et.al must make an application for a patent here in the U.S. if they seek to put an end to sales of replicas w/o their permission.
Old 09-23-08, 01:07 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pingu
I'm sure its more difficult then that. We don't know what it says in their contract with internet brands.
It says it's a replica Junction Produce wing.

For $200. A $600 wing, that's been knocked off, and sold for 200. A BLATENT rip off, even using the AUTHENTIC Junction Produce Ad picture.

He even says its a replica!

Knockoff for sure, and should be shut down. Not only is he undercutting JP here, but he also undercutting all the other vendors that sell AUTHENTIC JP.

I don't know how CL would let this even be approved.
Old 09-23-08, 01:29 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Caoboy
It says it's a replica Junction Produce wing.

For $200. A $600 wing, that's been knocked off, and sold for 200. A BLATENT rip off, even using the AUTHENTIC Junction Produce Ad picture.

He even says its a replica!

Knockoff for sure, and should be shut down. Not only is he undercutting JP here, but he also undercutting all the other vendors that sell AUTHENTIC JP.

I don't know how CL would let this even be approved.
Ever heard of VM CSL replica wheels? Those are knockoffs of the BMW CSL wheels by BBS.. http://www.custom-performance.net/pr...idCategory=178

Many jumped on the group buy for these wheels knowing very well that there are vendors that sell the "authentic" wheels.. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=543765 No complaints or fusses..
I will remain stock

Business is a cut throat endeavor.. Authentic vendors will just need step up their game up.. It all boils down to what consumers seek.
Old 09-23-08, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

let's see.... singers and artists, making songs, spending time and effort, and money as well. make the cds, selling for 15 bucks each. people rip them off and have people d/l for FREE, or sometimes ask for a little ad clicking which they in turn make some money

umm, so it's the artists problem? see the problem there?

and don't tell me about the whole legal or illegal thing. stealing is stealing, that's moral

worst of all? imagine going on amazon with bunch of original cds, and then suddenly you see one that's rip-off of other cds. wow, that sounds brilliant
Old 09-23-08, 01:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
let's see.... singers and artists, making songs, spending time and effort, and money as well. make the cds, selling for 15 bucks each. people rip them off and have people d/l for FREE, or sometimes ask for a little ad clicking which they in turn make some money

umm, so it's the artists problem? see the problem there?

and don't tell me about the whole legal or illegal thing. stealing is stealing, that's moral

worst of all? imagine going on amazon with bunch of original cds, and then suddenly you see one that's rip-off of other cds. wow, that sounds brilliant
That is why there are copyrights & patents.. If a business is too lazy and/or cheap to apply for one that is on them.. morals are for cry babies in the cutthroat world of business.
Old 09-23-08, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
That is why there are copyrights & patents.. If a business is too lazy and/or cheap to apply for one that is on them.. morals are for cry babies in the cutthroat world of business.
Well this reasoning is exactly why we are so #()#($)( as of late with Wall St. and the Fed. NO MORALS. Greed Greed Greed.

The supply of knock-offs would end or be limited if people didn't buy the stuff.

Knock-off suppliers and companies don't give a rats *** about the law. Only about making a dollar in anyway possible.

There are reasons to get knock-offs, pinqu goes into it well.

Old 09-23-08, 04:36 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Back in the way naive days, I didn't realize why there a million versions of this style (lowenhart LD1). Now I know why:

Lowenharts are good wheels???
Old 09-23-08, 05:35 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a quick disclaimer - my screen name is from a FF song, not cuz I love fakes
Old 09-23-08, 05:48 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

So, what's the point of this useless thread?? Other than beating a dead horse...

It's been said... we know it's not something advisable... and we have many members that are advocates of keeping knock offs out of the mainstream...

Old 09-23-08, 06:03 PM
mrhappi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stage3
So, what's the point of this useless thread?? Other than beating a dead horse...

It's been said... we know it's not something advisable... and we have many members that are advocates of keeping knock offs out of the mainstream...

Not to knock any or all of the club lexus moderators, workers, or owners, but isn't having knock-off vendors also considered "just trying to make a buck". I don't knock any of the knock-offs if they are made better, but I do agree on the moral aspects. Don't get me wrong, I have not bought any knock-offs, but I am also not a model citizen as well. Come on who hasn't downloaded a song, burned a movie, made a U-turn on a no U-turn street. It happens, it's business and the only thing you can do to stop it is not do it yourself.
Old 09-23-08, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by replica
just a quick disclaimer - my screen name is from a FF song, not cuz I love fakes
I was going to ban you, thanks for explaining j/k

Quick Reply: How do I say this nicely.......