Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do I say this nicely.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 01:27 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...osition=link13

Last edited by emoshun; 09-24-08 at 01:32 AM. Reason: I would've been banned...
Old 09-24-08, 09:23 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The BBS LM copy is one that bugs me.

The "BB5" they call it.

You couldn't give me a set of those.

Or the "R" brand big brakes like Link 13 mentioned.

Stop the copy!
Old 09-24-08, 09:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps the GS guys should not even consider ordering the "knockoff" chrome shifter bezels for the 2nd gen GS?? There are a number of guilty parties in support of such a product... Many here whom jumped on the group buy like white on rice..
Old 09-24-08, 10:06 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about replica watches for those who dont want to spend $50k on a watch?
Old 09-24-08, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
how about replica watches for those who dont want to spend $50k on a watch?
the exact same story. i personally can't justify 10k for a watch, so i am fine wearing a 500 bucks one. just like my wife can't justify 1000 bucks on a LV bag, so she's using a 50 bucks one from macy. but i will never spend 100 bucks on one that says r0lex rather than rolex. that's garbage. afford what you can afford.

and actually i used this example before. imagine a website where people talk about expensive watches, rolex, omega, cartier, etc.... you name it. but wait, there is a section where people talk about all the fake knock offs they got from china for 50 bucks each.

wow that's pretty. and it's even prettier if they have a vendor selling those knock offs too.

ok i need to stop. i have said what needs to be said
Old 09-24-08, 10:59 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Perhaps the GS guys should not even consider ordering the "knockoff" chrome shifter bezels for the 2nd gen GS?? There are a number of guilty parties in support of such a product... Many here whom jumped on the group buy like white on rice..
How are those knockoff? Chrome shifter bezels are by Grazio&Co, which is an aftermarket brand. But they team up with the company who makes the OEM stuff to make OEM parts in different finishes, ie. black chrome trim pieces, blackwood steering wheels.
Old 09-24-08, 11:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
How are those knockoff? Chrome shifter bezels are by Grazio&Co, which is an aftermarket brand. But they team up with the company who makes the OEM stuff to make OEM parts in different finishes, ie. black chrome trim pieces, blackwood steering wheels.
Aftermarket is not OEM.. Aftermarket companies must seek permission to make replicas of OE parts to avoid litigation. This shift bezel is a 'knockoff' of the oem piece buddy. Read.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+SHIFTER+BEZEL

No product or work is deemed 'authentic' unless said product or work has a copyright, patent or trademark. 1,000,000 replica JP body kits can be made by various companies if there is no patent on file.
Old 09-24-08, 04:43 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

no substantial R&D???? just a piece of plastic???? go get a copy of couple VIP mags which shown the effort Aimgain put in for a Q45 kit.

Knock off is stealing period.

How many companies that we know that filed chapter 7 or 11 the last few years? From SSR, Arrow Enterprise, BBS, Anceltion to the recent news about Trust/Greddy... Sure, I don't know the stats of how the knock off market had affected these companies. But when the knock offs are taking presence in the market they are no doubt invading to the originator's market share.

It hurts me every single time when my wife returns from South Coast with new bags. But i will never allow her to buy fake purse just to PRETEND we can afford it. If you can't afford them, buying fake, knock off can't make you that much better. People will only be disgusted more when they find out they ain't the real deal.

Thanks to 1SICK for this thread.
Old 09-24-08, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Again you Conveniently forget people did that b/c the bezel itself could no longer be sold separately, instead you had to buy the ENTIRE console, which is ridiculous. A $20 part became a $2000 part.

This is one of the reasons pinqu stated, which makes sense.

Originally Posted by chrispy
I agree. Bringing up a $20 chrome piece that maybe, MAYBE 300 people bought is CLEARLY not on the forefront of knock-off issues.

Old 09-24-08, 06:04 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the exact same story. i personally can't justify 10k for a watch, so i am fine wearing a 500 bucks one. just like my wife can't justify 1000 bucks on a LV bag, so she's using a 50 bucks one from macy. but i will never spend 100 bucks on one that says r0lex rather than rolex. that's garbage. afford what you can afford.
Exactly. I really like watches and have amassed a small collection of Rolex, Panerai and IWC models. I'd rather buy a $100 Seiko than buy a knock-off watch. In all honesty, I'd feel like a fraud wearing a fake watch.

I do have a couple friends who wear fake high end watches. One openly tells people that the watch is not authentic. The other actually tries passing off his knock-offs as being real...sad

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
It hurts me every single time when my wife returns from South Coast with new bags. But i will never allow her to buy fake purse just to PRETEND we can afford it. If you can't afford them, buying fake, knock off can't make you that much better. People will only be disgusted more when they find out they ain't the real deal.
I feel your pain!

Last edited by INHOCJP; 09-24-08 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 09:44 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to buy knock off ****. I remember having a huge debate with Manaray years ago about VIS <~~ LOL... After I sold the SC400 and 3 BMW's later, on high end stuff, I get authentic only. I also can't stand replica wheels. Told myself I wouldn't get fake wheels but I got a stupid deal on a new set and tried it out. It sucked major *** and I was able to trade in + cash for some Maya's. I did buy some replica M Parallels because I was selling my E39 and didn't want to sell it with the Maya's on there. The new owner loved it.
Old 10-30-08, 04:35 PM
jgc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"KNOCK-OFFS SUCK"
I concur with this man.
Old 10-30-08, 07:48 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

I have a question, that should be pubicly answered.

Why does the CL community allow replicas to be sold? There's only a market if the masses fill it. Simply put, don't allow it to be sold, and it won't be sold. There are plenty of other places that do that as well. Is there some clause that says that CL can't stop vendors from selling items?
Old 10-30-08, 07:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
I have a question, that should be pubicly answered.

Why does the CL community allow replicas to be sold? There's only a market if the masses fill it. Simply put, don't allow it to be sold, and it won't be sold. There are plenty of other places that do that as well. Is there some clause that says that CL can't stop vendors from selling items?
I'll give you the Internet Brands position on this issue when I've asked them about it.

1. We aren't in a position to verify the legality of what our vendors sell, however where it is brought to our attention that any vendor is performing activities that are illegal they may be removed (with this, we require solid evidence, such as a copyright that a company is blatantly infringing upon etc. Otherwise we aren't really in a position to do anything, as its usually a case of "he said, she said")

2. With regards to posting up pictures that someone does not have permission to utilize, we will remove them by request of the owner of the images, and where there is proof that poster is not the owner of these images.

My personal thoughts on knockoffs I posted in this thread.
Old 10-30-08, 08:05 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: How do I say this nicely.......