Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do I say this nicely.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 08:50 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i dont hate on a company for selling knock-offs...its not just here on the CL forums....there are many so-called VIP shops that will sell a knock-off to make a buck, and there are other shops doing the same non VIP, they looking out for themselves making their money...

basically its the consumers who are supporting the knock-offs and companies are just benefitting from it
Old 10-30-08, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

do what you gotta do. I prefer the real deal, but I will not hate on anyone who rocks the knock offs. It is what it is. Most of the time these companies are screwing us and overcharging by many folds anyways. you cant blame them for going with the knock offs. obviosly its not that negative of a phenomenon because the knock companies are still producing the stuff. obviously someone is buying
Old 10-31-08, 06:17 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hate when I see M6 wheels on every old BMW, they offer different sizes too!

and 19 inch LS460 rims on Honda Accords
Old 10-31-08, 07:06 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again you Conveniently forget people did that b/c the bezel itself could no longer be sold separately, instead you had to buy the ENTIRE console, which is ridiculous. A $20 part became a $2000 part.
There cant be any gray here. You are preaching that either you can afford it or you cant and then people simply couldn't afford to pay 2k for the bezels since it was all they needed. These are clearly a "knock off"...I am sure Lexus would be just fine with one of there vendors/MFG's making parts with a design that they came up with

There are so many things on this site that are "knock offs" that is okay and some that are not. I will keep to myself on this one.

Reading your first post, not being biased to your opinion now, if those rims you got where of better quality and you never had one ounce of trouble with them you probably would have purchased another one and not listened to what the others where saying.

I purchased two parts for my IS350. I got the "real deal" Fabulos rear canards that are 900$ and I got the "F" Front lip that was the "knock off" and they both fit perfectly, they both held up with no problems, both made from the same material. There was one difference, the rears had the Fab seal on the inside that no one could see.

We have vendors on here that do nothing but sell "knock offs" and we support them as vendors If this so bad then why do we allow them to be vendors on here. Oh yea that's right its greed and the big dogs are trying to make $$ off the site. This stuff starts somewhere and someone always supports this in one way or another. So one way or another we are all guilty since this site promotes this with vendors and we get on here to use this site as a community so we must condone it...
Old 10-31-08, 07:10 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

My personal thoughts on knockoffs I posted in this thread.
My thoughts on this still remain the same. We allow this, regardless of what they have to do through due to the FDA, that we buy generic drugs when we get sick and put them in our body

We can all debate this all day long.

Its my opinion and I am sticking too it
Old 10-31-08, 08:51 AM
turbosw20
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many things on this site that are "knock offs" that is okay and some that are not. I will keep to myself on this one.

Agreed!! Not to go to far in discussion but look at how many people are rocking the turbo xs turbo kit with the fake tial bov and fake greddy wastegate and other stuff..I for one had that turbo kit with all that above and liked it alot..

To me it seems like people pick and choose what they want to consider knock off and what not to consider knock off!
Old 10-31-08, 10:00 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't even afford knock-offs. Is there anything cheaper than knock-offs? something like "knock offs replica"??
Old 10-31-08, 11:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
We have vendors on here that do nothing but sell "knock offs" and we support them as vendors If this so bad then why do we allow them to be vendors on here. Oh yea that's right its greed and the big dogs are trying to make $$ off the site. This stuff starts somewhere and someone always supports this in one way or another. So one way or another we are all guilty since this site promotes this with vendors and we get on here to use this site as a community so we must condone it...
allowing them is IB issue, not us (members). they want to make money, that's greed, just like any of the knock off companies. that doesn't mean all of us condone their actions

in fact, i have been fighting this move since the very first minute. i am sure a lot of members including moderators can vouch for me on that

to me, my biggest issue isn't everyone rocking knock offs. that's too big of an issue. i will put my personal belief aside, because i think bottom line is everyone sees values differently. if someone can't justify the value, they can't justify the price. that's fine, as much as i might not agree. it's just how things are

to me the biggest problem is CL as a premium lexus enthusiast site, are allowing and SUPPORTING vendors that sell knock offs. that's just a complete disgrace and shame on the CL name, and i think that's a complete irony. that's what i have been opposing the most.
Old 10-31-08, 03:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
There cant be any gray here. You are preaching that either you can afford it or you cant and then people simply couldn't afford to pay 2k for the bezels since it was all they needed. These are clearly a "knock off"...I am sure Lexus would be just fine with one of there vendors/MFG's making parts with a design that they came up with

Reading your first post, not being biased to your opinion now, if those rims you got where of better quality and you never had one ounce of trouble with them you probably would have purchased another one and not listened to what the others where saying.

I purchased two parts for my IS350. I got the "real deal" Fabulos rear canards that are 900$ and I got the "F" Front lip that was the "knock off" and they both fit perfectly, they both held up with no problems, both made from the same material. There was one difference, the rears had the Fab seal on the inside that no one could see.

well said man. I agree. rominl has a point too. we as members dont have control over this stuff
Old 10-31-08, 05:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We don't have control, but we can ask ourselves not buy knock offs.
Old 10-31-08, 08:02 PM
LexFather

THose in support of buying knock-offs, I guess in 20 years, you won't mind boning and marrying a woman made in a lab with some DNA.

Hey, same thing right?

I say trade in your Lexus and maybe get one of these. Hey, its the same right. Now instead of worrying about anything happening to your luxury car, just buy a knock-off luxury car.

Old 11-01-08, 05:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nobleblack
Why is it the supporters of soley real kits allways do an apples to oranges and extreme comparisons.

But ok let's say this. Do you mind fake *****? Maybe fuller lips etc, hair extensions, fake eyelashes, hair extensions etc. Chances are whatever gurl your with has this or something else. I'm pretty sure in 20yrs if they made clones of christina millan, alyssa milano, haydne panattiere etc no one would care. I'd bone one if she had an adjustable volume control and an off switch .

And no it's not allways the same thing. Know the difference, know the difference, know the difference. Instead of the bandwagon hating. No it's not the same as getting a rolex, movado etc. A rolex will have a better value or a substantial value if you try to sell it later on. A body kit won't. A rolex isn't subject to get taken out by roadway debree. Or within a few years it get's obsolete and loses out to the next trend. A rolex is recognized by everyone. A bodykit brand or whatever part brand is known to that community. Other than that it's just known as a body kit/wheels/etc. People like my car and know it has rims (wheels), body effect (kit), and they might know exhausts etc. As far as brands they don't know or really care. But buckle at the prices it goes for.
A Lexus is a suit. Putting knock-offs on a Lexus is wearing a FAKE Rolex with your suit. So yes, you are "fronting" your Rolex, when its not the real thing.

Its that simple. You can rationalize "why" you buy a knock-off, that is fine. The ethical issue still stands.

I don't like OJ from Concentrate either

This is not a crusade for me. Its EDUCATION. I have learned so much from Clublexus and I can only do my part to help educate back.

Nike has the same issue with Air Jordans. So you are saying instead of buying the real thing and paying $150, pay $50 for a fake replica since you are going to wear them and scuff them anyway?

Old 11-01-08, 07:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well I have knock off Toyota Window Visors on my SC which a local member who's name that I won't mention quickly pointed out at a recent local meet. He was like you have fake visors, I was like ok I don't care, then he proceeds to tell me that he's buying a XS Power Turbo Kit and then started to doubt that I had a USDM GTE in my car lol.

In regards to knock offs to each their own.
Old 11-01-08, 08:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

No it's not the same and I stated reasons why. If you want to call a lexus a suit then it doesn't matter what suit you have on or what watch as long as you wear it well. Because that's what is paid attention to majorly.

I'm not rationalizing, I'm stating "FACT". You may think it's an education. But your not learning anything if you don't open your mind up and/or look at it from different areas. That's cool you learned on CL. I've learned from cl, ht, other forums, places, teams etc in this industry. I help out alot of people. Not everything is what it seams and not everything is the same. Man i've been doing this for a loooong time been fake, been real. Both had it's good and bad. There's a difference in companies.

I don't buy nikes I've hadn't had a set of jordans in a yr or so. Only $150 i'm chuckin out is for some timbs. Again not the same thing. Brand known to everyone vs brand known to a certain community. And then there's the cost differences and services to take in effect too. If I have the money for the rolex or kicks it's damn sure not going to take half a year for it to come or a month 1/2 to get a quote. Furthermore they'll act like they want my business. Your missing the point of if the company puts out a good product.

I don't like pulp in my juice. You don't want to apply ethics in this, because everyone is sticking everyone. It's the import industry, fair to say ethics went out the window years ago. Ethically what do you owe the companies? Are they paying you? Did they magically take half off or did they send it to you in a week. The real deal is cool but they need to get better on their game because there are some knockoffs that are giving them a run for their money. There's a difference between a scuffed shoe and a jacked up body kit etc. It doesn't belong in the same ring.

Like I stated before I'm about good companies and good products (whether original or knockoff). Before the industry got all *****d out and everyone got ****. It should be fun and people should have fun. Not haft to allways suffer for it and trick themselves into thinking it is fun. So if your going to attack knockoff companies you better get focused on which ones.
well said

I can agree more with you!

Funny thing is half if not more of these products, especially car parts, are all made in the same MFG facility and get a "private brand label" slapped on it
Funny that one will be better on this site then the others I see way to much of this on this site and we are pushing people to buy NAME brands and nothing more then that 99% of the time.

I was fortunate to work in the Packaging industry right out of school and was in one to many MFG facilities all over the place from POS, POP, and standard packaging.

Most of the places that we say are of "quality" many dont even know where they are MFG but they are all JDM There are good companies out there regardless of who was the "first" to mfg or design the product. Competition is a great thing in this country and a great way to keep people straight in line with the cost of the goods!!!
Old 11-01-08, 10:49 AM
LexFather

No it's not the same and I stated reasons why. If you want to call a lexus a suit then it doesn't matter what suit you have on or what watch as long as you wear it well. Because that's what is paid attention to majorly.

I'm not rationalizing, I'm stating "FACT". You may think it's an education. But your not learning anything if you don't open your mind up and/or look at it from different areas. That's cool you learned on CL. I've learned from cl, ht, other forums, places, teams etc in this industry. I help out alot of people. Not everything is what it seams and not everything is the same. Man i've been doing this for a loooong time been fake, been real. Both had it's good and bad. There's a difference in companies.

I don't buy nikes I've hadn't had a set of jordans in a yr or so. Only $150 i'm chuckin out is for some timbs. Again not the same thing. Brand known to everyone vs brand known to a certain community. And then there's the cost differences and services to take in effect too. If I have the money for the rolex or kicks it's damn sure not going to take half a year for it to come or a month 1/2 to get a quote. Furthermore they'll act like they want my business. Your missing the point of if the company puts out a good product.

I don't like pulp in my juice. You don't want to apply ethics in this, because everyone is sticking everyone. It's the import industry, fair to say ethics went out the window years ago. Ethically what do you owe the companies? Are they paying you? Did they magically take half off or did they send it to you in a week. The real deal is cool but they need to get better on their game because there are some knockoffs that are giving them a run for their money. There's a difference between a scuffed shoe and a jacked up body kit etc. It doesn't belong in the same ring.

Like I stated before I'm about good companies and good products (whether original or knockoff). Before the industry got all *****d out and everyone got ****. It should be fun and people should have fun. Not haft to allways suffer for it and trick themselves into thinking it is fun. So if your going to attack knockoff companies you better get focused on which ones.
You are NOT stating a FACT. You are basing your posts on your opinion, which is fine. The attitude "it doesn't matter" is what has this country going down the toilet. IT DOES MATTER. If people didn't buy crap products, guess what, crap would stop being produced. There is no innovation or forward thinking in "knock-offs".

I fear you fail to understand my analogies, which I had hoped would show similarities of how using "knock-offs" is a very questionable decision. There have been too many stories of people complaining their knock-off part;
-didn't fit
-wore out
-bent
-broke
-faded
etc etc

In the long run, you end up paying as much or more for a knock-off than the real part in many cases.

Its one thing to have a Polo shirt. Its one thing to have a "Chaps" shirt. Its WRONG to go to the flea market and buy a "Bolo shirt" with the man bigger than the damn horse, acting like its a "Polo shirt".

Again, I am not going to PM everyone to take their knock-off items off If people want to buy it, then buy it and don't flaunt or act like its the real thing.

I ask you this. If you came up with say, a business and you were selling wheels. And you were doing well and everyone liked your wheels at say 2k for a set. Company X comes along and figures out for whatever reason, they can sell something identical for 1k, would u be happy?

Quick Reply: How do I say this nicely.......