Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do I say this nicely.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-08, 10:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by passnu2
well said

I can agree more with you!

Funny thing is half if not more of these products, especially car parts, are all made in the same MFG facility and get a "private brand label" slapped on it
Funny that one will be better on this site then the others I see way to much of this on this site and we are pushing people to buy NAME brands and nothing more then that 99% of the time.

I was fortunate to work in the Packaging industry right out of school and was in one to many MFG facilities all over the place from POS, POP, and standard packaging.

Most of the places that we say are of "quality" many dont even know where they are MFG but they are all JDM There are good companies out there regardless of who was the "first" to mfg or design the product. Competition is a great thing in this country and a great way to keep people straight in line with the cost of the goods!!!

There is a difference between competiton and knock-offs. HUGE difference.

Again, in Germany, all this knock-off stuff wouldn't get past the Customs. They would laugh "zhhhheee hahahhahaha, itz thiszzz crappppz" and dump it in the ocean.

Old 11-01-08, 11:15 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

currently on the 2IS board there is huge knockoff rush for 'AVS window visors', they almost look like the JDM OEM versions but not quite... What i find funny is, some of the guys who are buying them are on REAL mooncakes *Work/Volk...ect* yet they'll buy these knock off visors... i don't understand the mentality at work here
Old 11-01-08, 12:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a difference between competiton and knock-offs. HUGE difference.

Again, in Germany, all this knock-off stuff wouldn't get past the Customs. They would laugh "zhhhheee hahahhahaha, itz thiszzz crappppz" and dump it in the ocean.
care to explain what the difference is (competition and nock offs) Everything in this world that does not have a patent or something to protect it is fair game for anyone to MFG. You bring up a good point with Polo shirts. One came up with the design and many make the same shirt. Some of good quality and some not so good! So we should ONLY purchase from the original designer/cloths line then right? Basically what you are saying is this world and "most" companies shouldn't even be here today.

and I am curious where you got this info about products leaving Germany? I happen to have worked for a company where our head quarters and products where MFG in Dusseldorf Germany! I can tell you FACTS that this is not true...none of this hear say or someone told me so I will agree 100% that customs is hard, its harder to get the stuff into the states then it was ever to get it out of Germany Did this for ~ 7 years

I think someone needs to get a thread started here with facts! I see the post above about the JDM visors and the other ones that people are buying? So we cant choose who to buy from is what most of you are saying and I would like people to back up all these JDM products and where they come from along with the MFG's location. Then research them to see how great the MFG really is. Also take it to the next level to see if they maybe make more then one size, style, ect off that same product Kind of how Lexus has more then one model/size/or style (how ever you want to view it).

Many of you would be very surprised to see the same products coming from the same MFG but "private labeled" and you are ONLY paying more for the name because someone thinks its cool or the best out there. Marketing is a lovely thing in this world
Old 11-01-08, 01:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by passnu2
care to explain what the difference is (competition and nock offs) Everything in this world that does not have a patent or something to protect it is fair game for anyone to MFG. You bring up a good point with Polo shirts. One came up with the design and many make the same shirt. Some of good quality and some not so good! So we should ONLY purchase from the original designer/cloths line then right? Basically what you are saying is this world and "most" companies shouldn't even be here today.

and I am curious where you got this info about products leaving Germany? I happen to have worked for a company where our head quarters and products where MFG in Dusseldorf Germany! I can tell you FACTS that this is not true...none of this hear say or someone told me so I will agree 100% that customs is hard, its harder to get the stuff into the states then it was ever to get it out of Germany Did this for ~ 7 years

I think someone needs to get a thread started here with facts! I see the post above about the JDM visors and the other ones that people are buying? So we cant choose who to buy from is what most of you are saying and I would like people to back up all these JDM products and where they come from along with the MFG's location. Then research them to see how great the MFG really is. Also take it to the next level to see if they maybe make more then one size, style, ect off that same product Kind of how Lexus has more then one model/size/or style (how ever you want to view it).

Many of you would be very surprised to see the same products coming from the same MFG but "private labeled" and you are ONLY paying more for the name because someone thinks its cool or the best out there. Marketing is a lovely thing in this world
I never said buying non Polo branded shirts is the issue. What I said was buying a "Bolo" shirt is the issue. A counterfeit.

I am not disagreeing with too much of what you have shared above about doing your research. One brand that comes to mind is "Bose", where marketing has people thinking its great stuff for cars but its really not that great. Still that is not the issue, unless someone takes the exact same system, copies it, then callis is "Dose".

IMO, a company selling knock-off products and promoting them is no different than going to the local flea market in the hood selling fake Gucci, Prada, bootleg CDs, Nikes, etc.

Why not just shop here then.
http://www.fashionknockoffs.com/
http://www.sofiasreplica.com/
Then use your knock-off I-phone
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...se-iphone.html
counterfeit
To falsify, deceive, or defraud. A copy or imitation of something that is intended to be taken as authentic and genuine in order to deceive another.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

counterfeit 1) adj. describing a document, particularly money, which is forged or created to look real, and intended to pass for real. 2) v. to criminally forge or print a false copy of money, bonds, or other valuable documents, intending to profit from the falsity. 3) n. shorthand for phoney money passed for real.

http://www.nema.org/gov/anti-counterfeiting/
email | print

Anti-Counterfeiting
NEMA > Policy Issues > Anti-Counterfeiting
The manufacturing and sale of counterfeit products is widely recognized by the United States and its trading partners as a crime involving the theft of intellectual property rights, including patents, trade, service and certification marks, and copyright. There are not only economic consequences from trafficking in counterfeit goods, including injury to the reputation of the rights-holder who has made a substantial investment in the quality of its product and brand name, but also to the deceived consumer, especially when health and safety is impacted, and governments that face a loss of tax revenue.

http://www.counterfeitlawblog.com/ar...proip-act.html
October 14, 2008 | Posted By Leora Herrmann | Comments (0)
Bush Has Signed Pro-IP Act
President Bush signed the controversial "Pro-IP" Act into law yesterday, almost two weeks after it was first presented to him. The Act increases statutory damage awards in civil counterfeiting cases to a maximum of $2 million for willful use of a counterfeit trademark, strengthens remedies available in the prosecution of criminal cases involving counterfeiting and piracy, provides resources for Department of Justice programs that combat IP theft, and makes permanent the Administration’s Strategy Targeting Organized Piracy (STOP!) Initiative and its inter-agency IP coordination efforts.

Background of IPA here.
http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-e...0.9600336.html

Old 11-01-08, 01:24 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys...Do these look familiar ?

Well, these are not the $1350.00 J.P tailights above.. Rather, it is the popular $180.00 LED tailights being rocked by many here.

Question: Would these lights and slight variation of such, be deemed "knockoffs" of the J.P tails below?

Old 11-01-08, 02:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never said buying non Polo branded shirts is the issue. What I said was buying a "Bolo" shirt is the issue. A counterfeit.
but you are steering away from your point. you are clearly saying buy from the original MFG and not anyone else correct? Anyone that "copies" any design (ie. clothes/medications/car parts/electronics/ect...) they are all "nock offs" from the original design. This is what makes this world go around whether we like it or not. I cant imagine how many people would be jobless if it where not for this.

So my point was that every Polo that is not made by the original designer/mfg is technically a "bolo" as you would call it. They copied the design of this style shirt and sold it under there name. Some for less some for more. That is what is so wrong with this on this site. I guess you are saying this is okay because its no different! There cant be any gray area here. Either its one or the other. Doesnt make it right for a big name company to do it either.

I have no problem buying something of quality regardless of where it comes from.
Old 11-01-08, 03:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Hi guys...Do these look familiar ?

Well, these are not the $1350.00 J.P tailights above.. Rather, it is the popular $180.00 LED tailights being rocked by many here.

Question: Would these lights and slight variation of such, be deemed "knockoffs" of the J.P tails below?

No they are not.

1. They never marketed as Junction Produce tails. JP never makes LED tails, but JP also sells LED tails too.
Mine was the first set even before WISE sells them ( Got them for 600 shipped ), and I got them from JP. Except the box and tape package has JP marks on, there is no place on the taillights say "JP"
So, LED is LED, JP is JP.

2. They are LED, not like JP is Non LED, OEM quality.

3. Junction produce only cleared out the OEM tails, the design is still OEM.

Just my 0.02

Last edited by blacksc400; 11-01-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-01-08, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by blacksc400
No they are not.

1. They never marketed as Junction Produce tails. JP never makes LED tails, but JP also sells LED tails too.
Mine was the first set even before WISE sells them ( Got them for 600 shipped ), and I got them from JP. Except the box and tape package has JP marks on, there is no place on the taillights say "JP"
So, LED is LED, JP is JP.

2. They are LED, not like JP is Non LED, OEM quality.

3. Junction produce only cleared out the OEM tails, the design is still OEM.

Just my 0.02
Exactly. Not to mention the first pic looks like NOTHING JP or anyone else produces. Clearly not OEM.

Old 11-01-08, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nobleblack
Really I'm not? So far I stated these facts:

1. US roads are F'd up. And a knockoff kit would be cheaper

2. I spent months trying to get a real kit for my ride. I've delt with a handful of companies and the business was unsatisfactory. I won't name names of the companies (some do business here). But the whole thing was retarded. And while you all may put up with it. I'm not.

3. It took me 2days to get my front lip, and 3 days to get my sides and rear from raceonusa. I put the kit on and it fit good. Only issue was the rear lip.

4. I've tooken some nasty bumps, scrapes that made me and others cringe and that kit has held ont beautifully.

5. Not all knockoff companies are the same. Raceon makes their kits (i've met the dude that made mine. Should've shin kicked him for the rear lip lol). And do copiesof real kits. Other companies have their items made in china or taiwan and just make copies of copies. Aspec has a stricter QC than say password jdm. They use a better material when making ***** and other products and a different process. Which makes a better product. They don't tolerate defects. Passwordjdm on the other hand will sell you a **** with bubbles etc in it and point you straight to the waiver when you complain.

6. Sometimes the companies make improvements on the design of the product that the real one didn't see. For instance the ARC teardrop **** is made for jdm hands and there was some cut in it. Aspec made a bigger **** for usdm and took out the cut.

Also some knock off companies are coming out with product that real ones haven't made for some cars. So they're developing and spanning from the copying. Raceonusa made a cf lip for the sc300. And is currently designing a hood for sc's. Oh snap they're being innovative

7. We all know the wait time on some of these products, I've had a friend wait half a yr for a wald kit. Which he paid in full prior to order. I've had similar situations with other products.

Here's some other facts:

I know people who road race with rotas. The ams evo used rotas. Look in the wheel classifieds and on the net there's been rotas used on cars, and they have good fitment.

Again for the umpteenth time I SUPPORT GOOD COMPANIES! REAL OR KNOCKOFF. Your analogies have nothing to do with it. You keep comparing the treetop apple juice to the sunkist orange juice. It depends on the product and the company. I get what your saying but your not getting what i'm saying. Your hitting the gift horse in the mouth while trying to get flies. You keep generally pointing your finger. It's not a black & white world. There are shades of gray and you need to know which ones to point at. It's like saying saying well all cops or import owners are bad because of certain situations. People don't want to take the time to pick out so it's a witch hunt.
Agree to disagree. Continue to buy whatever you want, whoever makes it, with whatever the consequence.

Old 11-03-08, 01:15 AM
cleanm3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this reasoning is exactly why we are so #()#($)( as of late with Wall St. and the Fed. NO MORALS. Greed Greed Greed.

The supply of knock-offs would end or be limited if people didn't buy the stuff.

Knock-off suppliers and companies don't give a rats *** about the law. Only about making a dollar in anyway possible.

There are reasons to get knock-offs, pinqu goes into it well.

now a days its all about the money! theres no more morals in making that money. Its a cut throat world everybody is out to save there own asses. Unless you just want to sit on your salary pay job day in and day out and hoping to get your wonderful .3% raise a year. Most people want to get out there and make that money $$$!! How you make that money is all up to you and how good you can sleep at night. The way i think if it is if you dont do it somebody else would.

As far as my opinion on buying knock-offs, it all boils down to the quality of the work. honestly im in the jewelery business and if a customer comes to me and want me to make a Tiffany ring, hell yea im going to make it for them. I can do it for a 3rd of the cost of a "Tiffany & co" piece. Its still gold and still diamonds being useds no fake here.
Old 11-05-08, 01:50 PM
JPGS300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel sorry for the person that buys and rocks this knock off JP kit can you imagine how flammed they would get when they go to a show or a VIP meet and show up with their wack *** kit. Dont support guys get the real stuff its better in the long run...

KNOCKOFF'S SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-08, 09:24 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all i have to say is iam very dissapointed in the new owners of cl please dont do this to our community selling knockoff items it seems as if the owners are doing anything to make money not caring about the communitys interest after this is CLUB LEXUS not club civic we pride ourselfs on buying the premium auto not to buy a camry and put lexus emblems soo please STOP THE COPY !!!!!
Old 11-05-08, 10:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

It is a free market so this stuff exists unfortunately. Those into the scene will spot the dupes readily. For those owners wearing these parts, it reflects as such. Like cosmetic surgery...the mass of them don't fool anybody cause it is obvious. Now if the person likes that fakeness...it's their game. In the end no matter how you look at it...it is pretending to be soemething it isn't.

I applaud those owners who seek out the original producers top shelf parts to install.
Old 06-08-09, 07:40 PM
Jay-Balrog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets just call it what it is...elitism/ brand-whoring.

if you think youre fiberglass bumper or misc plastic visor is better because the company that makes it is in japan instead of korea i have no problem with that. but just say so..

your 3k dollar namebrand bodykit isnt all that different then the 600 dollar knockoff. still gona need to be modded to make it flush with the body of the car its supposed to go on.

that little stamp on the inside of the bumper doesnt turn it into dragonskin reinforced urethane that magically fits flush.

as for performance parts...theres usually major differences.

wheels aswell...rotas arent gona be as good as volks. but for a majority of people those 800 dollar rotas are a better buy then 3500 works that they wont use to half of their potential. if youre gona be driving agressively enough to warrant it. by all means get the works but if youre just a kid in a beater s13 who accelerates on offramps from time to time....the rotas are good enough.

plastic is plastic, mirrors are mirrors, fiberglass is fiberglass. wether it comes in a junction produce box or not.
Old 06-08-09, 07:43 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-Balrog
lets just call it what it is...elitism/ brand-whoring.

if you think youre fiberglass bumper or misc plastic visor is better because the company that makes it is in japan instead of korea i have no problem with that. but just say so..

your 3k dollar namebrand bodykit isnt all that different then the 600 dollar knockoff. still gona need to be modded to make it flush with the body of the car its supposed to go on.

that little stamp on the inside of the bumper doesnt turn it into dragonskin reinforced urethane that magically fits flush.

as for performance parts...theres usually major differences.

wheels aswell...rotas arent gona be as good as volks. but for a majority of people those 800 dollar rotas are a better buy then 3500 works that they wont use to half of their potential. if youre gona be driving agressively enough to warrant it. by all means get the works but if youre just a kid in a beater s13 who accelerates on offramps from time to time....the rotas are good enough.

plastic is plastic, mirrors are mirrors, fiberglass is fiberglass. whether it comes in a junction produce box or not.
wow i know from experience you get what you pay for ...and if you think a knock off is just as good as a name brand your soorly mistaken

Quick Reply: How do I say this nicely.......