Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 04:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I think its good looking car. I don't care too much for Dodge or Mopar but I am sure the loyalists would be all over it

Here is a picture that I took of it side by side with its classic brethren

Thanks.....a nice shot.

The original car, however, in stock form, had chrome bumpers, unlike this obviously redone dragster. At the Washington, DC Auto show, they had the orange metalflake concept car with the twin hood stripes parked next to a purple 1970 Challenger convertible with white vinyl interior ....purple (Plum Crazy) was a stock color that year, my favorite of all the Challenger colors.

Here's a shot from Dodge's own advertising that year:

Old 09-23-08, 04:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
another superb review
Thanks.

ive seen it on a road a couple of times
and both times made me fell in love with it
i really like the classic muscle car look in a modern form
if it wasnt the ultra-cheap interior, id be test driving one now

i hope GM approaches the Camaro with a better interior
It's hard not to like the Challenger's looks, but the interior could be a little more retro than it is now, not to mention, of course, better materials, but the original car (I remember it well) also had a flimsy, hard-plastic interior.

Hers's an advance shot of the Camaro and its interior....you may have already have seen shots of it for yourself. We won't know, of course, how well it is built until we see it first-hand.

You can count on a review from me, of course.....

Old 09-23-08, 04:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calichris
i think they look great, i see at least 3 a day here
I see you are in MI. To see that many at this early stage, you must either work for Dodge or live near Dodge corporate headquarters.
Old 09-23-08, 09:26 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review!

I've seen them on the road and my first impression was... blah.... it blended right in with other cars on the road...nothing really stood out...
Old 09-23-08, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
Great review!
Thanks.

I've seen them on the road and my first impression was... blah.... it blended right in with other cars on the road...nothing really stood out...
Would you consider this color blah? It's B5 Blue, a factory color available today.

Old 09-23-08, 10:55 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Review Mmarshall

As for cylinder deactivation, I luv the Cadillac 8-6-4 reference! The Caddy version came out about 20 years before the technology was ready, glad to see in your review that today's version works so seamlessly.

I was always a Camaro fan back in the day, so I'll reserve judgment til I can compare your reviews of all 3 'muscle cars'. With the Camaro being Holden based I have high expectations for its quality and execution.

TripleL
Old 09-23-08, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Great Review Mmarshall
Thanks.

As for cylinder deactivation, I luv the Cadillac 8-6-4 reference! The Caddy version came out about 20 years before the technology was ready, glad to see in your review that today's version works so seamlessly.
Almost nothing that Cadillac built in the 1980's worked properly or ran reliably. The 350 (5.7L) diesel engine, a converted gas V8, was even worse...the subject of a class-action lawsuit.

I was always a Camaro fan back in the day, so I'll reserve judgment til I can compare your reviews of all 3 'muscle cars'. With the Camaro being Holden based I have high expectations for its quality and execution.

TripleL
I did a Mustang GT review with the California Package a while back, but my reviews in those days were not as comprehensive as they are now.....nor did they include pictures. But if you want to read it, here it is:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ord+mustang+gt
Old 09-23-08, 02:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Its the right car, but at the wrong time.
Old 09-23-08, 02:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In a Nutshell: Dynamite pony-car looks and nice engineering/underpinnings, but too much low-quality junk in the hardware and trim.
No time to read your review sorry, and maybe you said this, but I think your 'in a nutshell' could have been written about the original car, too.

So maybe they're right on target.
Old 09-23-08, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No time to read your review sorry, and maybe you said this, but I think your 'in a nutshell' could have been written about the original car, too.
Yes. In many ways, it mirrors the original. I went into that, in depth, in a number of places. The main difference is that the 2009 doesn't have at least a dozen assembly-line goofs on each car like the originals did, which often took months to get the build-quality defects out. But even on the new one, the plastic engine START/STOP button didn't work.....I had to pry it off and use the emergency ignition switch under it.
Old 09-23-08, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Its the right car, but at the wrong time.
I disagree that it's the wrong time. Yes, it's a big engine, and yes, it uses gas......even with the cylinder decoupling. But, three things. First, the Mustang, a perennial best-seller, clearly needs domestic competition, which the Challenger provides. Second, most people who spring for a 60's-style muscle car are not going to be overly-concerned with gas mileage. Third, a less-powerful Challenger is coming next year, with a V6, that will compete with the Mustang V6.
Old 09-23-08, 03:29 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I disagree that it's the wrong time. Yes, it's a big engine, and yes, it uses gas......even with the cylinder decoupling. But, three things. First, the Mustang, a perennial best-seller, clearly needs domestic competition, which the Challenger provides. Second, most people who spring for a 60's-style muscle car are not going to be overly-concerned with gas mileage. Third, a less-powerful Challenger is coming next year, with a V6, that will compete with the Mustang V6.
But if you look at it, a car like this is supposed attract middle class buyers. The upper class buyers can afford to go all out and buy Lambos and Ferraris. However, from watching the news the past few days, the middle class in this country have alot to worry about right now. An expenisve gas guzzling vehicle isn't on the minds of many right now. Having access to their money in the bank is.
Old 09-23-08, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
But if you look at it, a car like this is supposed attract middle class buyers. The upper class buyers can afford to go all out and buy Lambos and Ferraris.
The Challenger, like the Mustang, appeals not only to today's youth, but to some Baby-Boomers like me who grew up with the original car almost 40 years ago (though I myself have long since shifted my interest to other cars...like Subies ) . We didn't grow up with Lambos and Ferraris that cost a quarter of a million dollars apiece. Those who want expensive Italian exotics are not likely going to want a Challenger....and if they do, they have the money to buy an original 1970-74 Challenger at high-dollar auctions for rich people like at Pebble Beach.
Old 09-23-08, 09:19 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool Metalcrafters

There are several different flat-black stripe patterns available, but as you note (and I did in the review) they are absurdly priced.

Those double hood-stripes on the metalflake-orange concept Challenger that made the rounds at auto shows are NOT tape. That was a special carbon-fiber hood with actual twin black carbon-fiber sections in it, which, obviously, did not see production.

This car was built at Metalcrafters in Orange Co. CA .

I worked their until the layoff in 2004 Metalcrafters builds most of Chrylers prototypes since before the PT cruiser
Old 09-24-08, 06:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
This car was built at Metalcrafters in Orange Co. CA .

I worked their until the layoff in 2004 Metalcrafters builds most of Chrylers prototypes since before the PT cruiser

Thanks. Sounds like an interesting job.

I wish Chrysler (and you guys) would do a retro Road Runner, even if the Chrysler name rather than Plymouth would be used.......I'd consider buying one. I always liked the bird graphics and "beep-beep": horn. The Charger R/T, mechanically, is close, but just isn't the same car.....especially with four doors.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T