Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004-2005 MR2 spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 09:00 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004-2005 MR2 spyder

anybody have any interested in these type of car, have this car. or maybe if you want to discuss about the pros and cons for this car. because i'm thinking of getting one of em, considering them being lightweight, supposely fun to drive, and cheap on gas too.

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/uploads/mr2_a.jpg
Old 09-23-08, 09:04 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wanted one, but the practicality of them was really low

Some people don't like it because of looks, and the lack of power, but I feel it started to go back in the right direction of the MR2, by going back to light weight and not all about power
Old 09-23-08, 09:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think Car and Driver said the MR2 was the best handling car they had ever driven and that it was a significantly more pure drive than even the Miata. I really like those MR2s but after being in a pretty bad accident where I got sandwiched (in a camry) I feel like those cars are just a deathtrap.
Old 09-23-08, 09:24 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MEANDAFAKA
anybody have any interested in these type of car, have this car. or maybe if you want to discuss about the pros and cons for this car. because i'm thinking of getting one of em, considering them being lightweight, supposely fun to drive, and cheap on gas too.

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/uploads/mr2_a.jpg
Sounds logical to me. I drove one it was fun seems like the rear visability was the worst thing about it
Old 09-23-08, 09:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the MR2-Spyder was really a great car. I've always wanted a 2003+ with SMT. Some people say it's too cute, I agree, but with a lip kit it looks track-ready, and the aftermarket support for this car is huge.

I test drove one back in 2003 and it handled like a dream. Better than the Porsche Boxster, which are probably the 2 best handling cars I've driven (not the best in the world, just the best that I'VE driven).

Straight-line acceleration is plenty enough for daily driving. It's alot slower than the SW20 (91-96) MR2s, but then again there are numerous turbo kits, 2ZZ swaps available.

Some guy on SpyderChat or another MR-S forum, who also owns a NSX, said the MR-S handled better than the NSX.

The only problem I have with the car is the practicality. I'm 6'1 / 250lb and the top closes on my head. There's also no rear trunk like the AW11 and SR20 MR2s. The frunk is nano-sized.

Gas mileage is great also. I've always thought that in order for a car to be fun to drive and also MPG-friendly, it has to be very light with a small 4-cyl engine. the MR-2 Spyder is it.
Old 09-23-08, 10:06 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

yeah, i know they are small. but because i want a cheap, reliable, and fun to drive performance car. and its in a fraction of the price compare to the lotus, i know the lotus come with the 2zz and all that. but at 2150 lbs with 138 horsepower, plus i will be station somewhere in the mainland all by myself. i'm agonna miss my love one. anyway, back to the topic, i don't want to ship my LS with me. so i guess MR2 spyder it is, so here i come, mr2.

and the reason i specify the 04-05, is because they are the one that come with stock LSD, stiffer chassis, and couple other upgraded items. so yeah, any more inputs are welcome.
Old 09-23-08, 10:10 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Sounds logical to me. I drove one it was fun seems like the rear visability was the worst thing about it
i will keep that in mind about the reaer visibility, thanks.
Old 09-23-08, 10:56 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

I borrowed my friend's AW11 for about 3 weeks, man was it the best little fun car ever, even as it's only the NA version with blown shocks. Its so fun I don't want to stop driving... but the one I drove didn't have A/C, it's in the middle of summer, so I stopped driving it...
Old 09-24-08, 12:13 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I really like those MR2s but after being in a pretty bad accident where I got sandwiched (in a camry) I feel like those cars are just a deathtrap.
Still better than a Smart Car or an Aveo-type of car.

Cars like this are more maneuverable, so some would argue that you're
more able to avoid an accident in some cases.

Not deathtraps. The first-gen MR2 was overweight because Toyota
engineers insisted it be a safe car. There's a guy on the MR2 board
who was T-boned by a full size station wagon. He had a bruise on
his arm but walked away.
Old 09-24-08, 02:52 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

^haha, thats why i want the 04-05 only. its 10kg heavier than the 00-03, but the reason of this is because toyota strengthen the chassis, which is a little bit safer. ooo, and don't forget about the LSD on the 04-05 which the earlier model doesn't come with.
Old 09-24-08, 10:30 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I would have bought one of these instead of my S, but didn't want to deal with a motor swap. shoulda had a 6-spd instead of 5, also
Old 09-24-08, 11:19 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

i think the mr2 is neat little car especially this one, superautobacs MRs mmmm
Old 09-24-08, 11:37 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

mmm im interested in one now that the new canadian bumper regulation allows these to be imported

how is the safety for 04 and 05 compared to recent mid-size sedans?
Old 09-24-08, 12:37 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

^hmmmm, i don't know what the actual number on the crash rating. but as i remember, its not too bad for the little spyder.
and you don't really NEED to swap the 2ZZ(GTS) motor to the MR-S in order to have fun. i mean, stock 0-60 is like 5.8-7 second. plus at 2150 lbs, i'm sure you will have A LOT of fun doing twisties with the stock 138hp. plus i rather stay with the 1ZZ and have awesome gas mileage.
Old 09-24-08, 12:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just get a S2000.

Quick Reply: 2004-2005 MR2 spyder