Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer Employees Caught DRAGRACING Pre-Order GT-R's!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 10:17 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the case is closed

time for a lock
Old 09-25-08, 12:29 AM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

I'm sorry to say this. When a cars at a dealership, Its fair game (as long as you dont get caught, or tear it up) I was in the dealership business for 12 years. I have worked in sales, service and parts. I have seen sold units get RAGGED OUT on a "PDI test drive". I found a 3000GT in for its first oil change end up on it's roof. X-runner's (sold and line units) drifted around on "test drives". I (yes I know, I'm sorry) drove a TT supra sideways just to prove a point to my manager. It happens. Not just new cars. I have seen customers cars in for service done the same way by service writers, techs, porters and wash crews. I do not in any way find this surprising.
Old 09-25-08, 06:15 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Come on guys be serious....

I've owned and know plenty of owners of new cars. I have NEVER seen a human being driving around in their own car covered in plastic.
I see quite often people driving with the plastic still on their rear windshield wipers to make other people think the car is still new. Some of these cars are actually old models... But that's kind of a different story.
Old 09-25-08, 06:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't they need to break the motor in first? I met an owner last week and he mentioned some kind of break in period because people wanted to run him lol.
Old 09-25-08, 06:36 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
Don't they need to break the motor in first? I met an owner last week and he mentioned some kind of break in period because people wanted to run him lol.
True. All cars have a break in period (that I know of).
Old 09-25-08, 06:47 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
I'm sorry to say this. When a cars at a dealership, Its fair game (as long as you dont get caught, or tear it up) I was in the dealership business for 12 years. I have worked in sales, service and parts. I have seen sold units get RAGGED OUT on a "PDI test drive". I found a 3000GT in for its first oil change end up on it's roof. X-runner's (sold and line units) drifted around on "test drives". I (yes I know, I'm sorry) drove a TT supra sideways just to prove a point to my manager. It happens. Not just new cars. I have seen customers cars in for service done the same way by service writers, techs, porters and wash crews. I do not in any way find this surprising.
you are the exact reason why I only take my car to the dealership if and only I have to.

I don't care if it's "fair game", that's just not morally right. The owner works his/her *** off, and you just take their pride possession to prove a point to your manager?

-----------------PS-----------------------
When I first started in the car business I was showed and told it was "ok" to drive cars like that. Then I moved up to shop foreman and one of my techs ran a new cellica all-track (turbo) down a guard rail. I had to inform the customer.
After that I took the stand that I would NEVER drive a customers car in any way other then I how I would like my car driven. I have wrote up several employees of mine for abusing customers and sold units. I have even fired a couple of them.
That among other reasons is why I quit the car business (besides, playing with 6000+ hp everyday is more fun)

Last edited by kit cat; 09-25-08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-25-08, 07:29 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

I would drive the cars with the plastic on in fear of pissing my pants from the excitement of my new GTR! haha.
Old 09-25-08, 08:27 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default True story here.........

I have a buddy hat works for a local Toyota dealership who back in 2000 took a brand new Celica GTS for a test drive (this after just inspecting it) and drove it very hard, so hard that he missed shifted the thing and blew the engine! The car was pre-ordered and had already been sold!!!!!!

Dont say dealerships dont do this because my buddy who is a certified mechanic has done that and much more.........the sad thing he was never fired for that and the many other actions that I know he has done over the years!

It's ashame but............it's all for the love of the game...hahahaaha
Old 09-25-08, 08:44 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

I had a nephew work at UPS. When they were bored, they would take boxes label fragile and throw it around. Never Ever label your package as fragile. EVER!
Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
I have a buddy hat works for a local Toyota dealership who back in 2000 took a brand new Celica GTS for a test drive (this after just inspecting it) and drove it very hard, so hard that he missed shifted the thing and blew the engine! The car was pre-ordered and had already been sold!!!!!!

Dont say dealerships dont do this because my buddy who is a certified mechanic has done that and much more.........the sad thing he was never fired for that and the many other actions that I know he has done over the years!

It's ashame but............it's all for the love of the game...hahahaaha
A buddy of mine bought a Ford GT. He brought it in to a tire shop to get low profile racing tires for the track. Manager of the shop and a dude took it for an unauthorized test drive and wrapped it around a tree. Lets just say my buddy now gets free tires, which is good cause he just got f430 spider, those arent cheap tires.
Old 09-25-08, 09:12 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

There is NOT even a question this practice takes place, and I still say plastic still on seats during a race?
Old 09-25-08, 09:16 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Is that 13.3 and 12.5 sec in 1/4 mile? If yes - seems to be terrible numbers for GT-Rs, even the ones that are not broken in yet. I thought those cars are capable of at least low 11s if not better...
Old 09-25-08, 09:18 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Is that 13.3 and 12.5 sec in 1/4 mile? If yes - seems to be terrible numbers for GT-Rs, even the ones that are not broken in yet. I thought those cars are capable of at least low 11s if not better...
You are correct sir! Thus these toolboxes not allowing for proper break in or knowing how to drive the Godzillas!
Old 09-25-08, 11:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I wonder if some of the employees at the factory in Japan had already done the same to these cars BEFORE they reached the dealers here . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-25-08 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 11:50 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I wonder if some of the employees at the factory in Japan had already done the same to these cars BEFORE it reached the dealers here . . .
i thought they test drive and benchmark them before shipping like the NSX?
Old 09-25-08, 12:05 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven’t you guys wondered how those first few miles appeared on your personal cars before you took inception on them?

My ’08 GS was in PWR mode the first time I started the car with 13 miles..

Quick Reply: Dealer Employees Caught DRAGRACING Pre-Order GT-R's!