Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Florida man cancels Nissan GT-R order due to 'black box'

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Default Florida man cancels Nissan GT-R order due to 'black box'

A Florida man named Scott Weires has canceled the order for his long-awaited Nissan GT-R. Why? It's not that he was disappointed in the car's performance credentials, far from it. The problem is that the GT-R is equipped with a 'black box', similar in theory to the kind found on airplanes to help determine what went wrong in case of an accident or breakdown. By the end of 2012, car buyers won't have a choice as to whether their new car is equipped with a 'black box,' or Electronic Data Recorder -- they will be federally mandated to carry one. These devices track information that could be useful to the manufacturer in determining exactly what is, or has been, going on with a car. There are a few worries, though, that warranty claims could be denied if the automaker, Nissan in this case, deems that the car was being raced or abused in some way or by police or lawyers to determine culpability. Nissan's GT-R carries an on-board recorder that keeps track of the past few day's worth of driving and cannot be disabled. In the case of Scott Weires, an attorney no less, that was enough to look elsewhere. Would it be for you?

Old 09-24-08, 07:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

yes haha, all the more reason to buy old cars without all the technology
Old 09-24-08, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
yes haha, all the more reason to buy old cars without all the technology
Old cars, though, often don't have a lot of good and useful features modern car buyers DO want. I, for one, would probably never want to own a car again with a carburator, breaker-point ignition, non-clearcoat paint, recirculating-ball steering, or a chassis/that needed constant grease jobs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-08 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 07:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost all cars have had a black box for the last decade, IIRC... just not nearly as much information contained in them as in the GT-R, I guess. The black boxes in cars now would really just indicate how fast you were going, if you were accelerating or on the brakes when a major impact occurred.
Old 09-24-08, 08:34 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Old cars, though, often don't have a lot of good and useful features modern car buyers DO want. I, for one, would probably never want to own a car again with a carburator, breaker-point ignition, non-clearcoat paint, recirculating-ball steering, or a chassis/that needed constant grease jobs.
That is what distinguishes your preferences from others. I do not like the hassle of wiring and tuning a fuel injected motor into a car that do not come with one.
Old 09-24-08, 08:36 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't mind the existence of black box in the car.
Old 09-24-08, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Almost all cars have had a black box for the last decade, IIRC... just not nearly as much information contained in them as in the GT-R, I guess. The black boxes in cars now would really just indicate how fast you were going, if you were accelerating or on the brakes when a major impact occurred.
They are not a continual record of your driving. From what I understand, they only keep on record the the last 5 seconds or so of what happened before an accident......and they can't be removed or downloaded without specific procedures from law enforcement or a court order, even by an auto-manufacturer representative.

These recorders have been invaluable in accident investigations and in court cases where people have tried to lie about how fast they were going, what kind of turns they made, etc.....

With today's anti-lock brakes and traction/stability controls, traditional methods of estimating speed and cornering speeds by the length of skid marks, tire tracks, etc.......don't work any more because the car's electronics don't allow the tires to lock up and skid, break traction, or leave black marks on the pavement. The black boxes help get around that with their records.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 09:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There are a few worries, though, that warranty claims could be denied if the automaker, Nissan in this case, deems that the car was being raced or abused in some way ...

Hello?

The GT-R is a race car.

If I take it to the track and abuse it, it's what the car is made for!

That's like telling Viper or Corvette owners to treat the car "delicately." It's a freaking racing machine!!!

Wasn't there a lawsuit where a Viper owner sued Dodge because of a lemon transmission. Dodge's defense was that "he shouldn't have pushed the car so hard..."
Old 09-24-08, 10:55 PM
inLine4
Pole Position

Man, that like being bugged on ure car. ftl
Old 09-24-08, 10:58 PM
240swapped
Driver School Candidate

yeah, but does anyone actually think it'll be impossible to disable? i say give it 3 years and people will sell kits to be able to switch it on and off if it becomes a warranty voiding issue.
Old 09-25-08, 01:48 AM
LLTD
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Hello?

The GT-R is a race car.

If I take it to the track and abuse it, it's what the car is made for!

That's like telling Viper or Corvette owners to treat the car "delicately." It's a freaking racing machine!!!

Wasn't there a lawsuit where a Viper owner sued Dodge because of a lemon transmission. Dodge's defense was that "he shouldn't have pushed the car so hard..."
Can't agree more. GTR is a race car, it build to race and yet car maker and government restricted the car to do what it build for. SAD
Old 09-25-08, 02:18 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 240swapped
yeah, but does anyone actually think it'll be impossible to disable? i say give it 3 years and people will sell kits to be able to switch it on and off if it becomes a warranty voiding issue.
And what is the point of that?
They will know you haven't used it if you have a crash...
Old 09-25-08, 05:13 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is funny because the only reason someone would spend 100k for a freaking Nissan is to be faster than the Porsches, Aston Martins are the Maserati's. In real life, not on paper.

If I can't even push my car, I would rather get a real exotic than to drive around a Nissan telling everyone I'm faster than you but I can't actually race you cuz then it would void my warranty.
Old 09-25-08, 06:52 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Yeah, Lotus out of all the cars will void your warranty if you take it to the track
Old 09-25-08, 07:37 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Yeah, Lotus out of all the cars will void your warranty if you take it to the track
Wow, that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard, if your serious I mean.

As to what everyones saying about the GTR, like someone else said, practically all cars have that if I recall, they just kick on at different times. As far as its supposed to be a racecar..your right, but isnt there like a 1000 dollar fee you pay after you take it to a track to have Nissan look it over so you dont void your warranty? Im not saying thats right, but that should end that argument about racing it. I know we all street race..or have or whatever, but really your not supposed to, so that should be a non issue.

Quick Reply: Florida man cancels Nissan GT-R order due to 'black box'