Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It just took me 1 hour and 30 minutes to get gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 10:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,447 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i also wonder if this is mainly in the south east regions due to the hurricane? supply here in cali hasn't really slowed down, in fact prices have continue to go down
Yes, it's a temporary refining capacity issue in the east.
Old 09-28-08, 10:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Is it not feasible to ship gas from other parts of the country temporarily until this problem subsides?
No it isn't. The quantities involved are too great.

It shows how we use ALL the refining capacity we have, but due to environmental whackos and BAD energy policy we haven't increased capacity in decades.
Old 09-29-08, 10:38 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

premium at the chevron near my house is at 3.77 yay
Old 09-29-08, 10:39 AM
LexFather

Supposedly it will ease up around COlumbus day......its bad all over still, quite amazing...

I explored public transit options and they are ridiculous if you don't live/work directly on the transit line. So I'm on CleanAir.com and other sites looking for other options.

Old 09-29-08, 12:16 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Yep ATL is ridiculous right now. I drove past 14 gas stations yesterday until I found one with gas and it was a 45 minute wait before I got to the pump. Then see they only have 87 octane. I can't wait for this all to be over.
Old 09-29-08, 12:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Time to car pool? I know in Atlanta that's easier said than done if people are in different directions and the traffic, forget it.
Old 09-29-08, 04:56 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Charlotte it is crazy too people are going out of their mind. People are leaving their cars at the gas stations. I have seen about 5 fights including a woman cussing this man slam out.
Old 09-29-08, 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

I'm counting my lucky stars. Still have plenty of gas in my Supra & Lexus for the travel I have planned, and I'll be out of town on business Wed - Fri this week and Mon - Wed next week. I will be driving to work and busing to Marta to get to the airport though. It doesn't make sense to drive the rest of the way - it's an 80 mile RT for me to Hartsfield, but only 38 if I take Marta from work to the airport.
Old 09-30-08, 03:54 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

wow I'd jack up the price 3X what it costs, supply and demand.
Old 09-30-08, 04:53 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toy4two
wow I'd jack up the price 3X what it costs, supply and demand.
so you're saying you'd price gouge?
Old 09-30-08, 05:58 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shyguy16
so you're saying you'd price gouge?
How is that gouging? This is supply and demand and if cranking the gas to $10 a gallon means that you will have the supply to meet the demand, then all is fair.

Gas gouging is when there is a rumored disruption and people crank their prices up - even when demand has not increased or supply has not decreased. In this case, supply is down and demand is up - sounds like a recipe for raising the price to me....
Old 09-30-08, 06:52 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
How is that gouging? This is supply and demand and if cranking the gas to $10 a gallon means that you will have the supply to meet the demand, then all is fair.

Gas gouging is when there is a rumored disruption and people crank their prices up - even when demand has not increased or supply has not decreased. In this case, supply is down and demand is up - sounds like a recipe for raising the price to me....
Price gouging is a pejorative term for a seller pricing much higher than is considered reasonable or fair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

In Alabama, Gov. Bob Riley ordered a state of emergency to prevent price gouging by station owners that do have gas.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/26/news...tune/index.htm
Old 09-30-08, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Well the price in Atlanta has stayed flat...right undre 4 bucks a gallon, no matter how long the lines are. There were reports of gas stations taking advantage and the state said they would press charges.

It seems to finally have hit the major news, it was on CNN today and on Yahoo's homepage.

I still can't find premium.

Old 09-30-08, 09:58 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as the station has gas im good lol... long lines are not a thing for me
next to where i work i know allll the workers and owner of the gas station and when theres huge lines from hurricane he lets me cut everybody... of course they scream yell and curse but its all over with once im full on gas
Old 10-01-08, 01:27 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I don't think you read the Wikipedia link very well....and I quote
"it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits."

and
"The model case is a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane is imminent."

In this case, there is NO GAS in Atlanta. The hurricane has been here and gone and now we have a serious problem. If I can go down the street and pay $10 per gallon - AND HAVE GAS, then that is my prerogative. I don't have to buy from the guy charging $10 - but it is worth it to me if I need the gas. It's called a free market and when we decide to force all gas stations to charge the same amount regardless of supply and demand, well we cease being a capitalist society.

Quick Reply: It just took me 1 hour and 30 minutes to get gas