Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
New Maxima
41.67%
New TL
41.67%
Other vehicle (explain)
16.67%
A new Raccoon
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Maxima VS. 2009 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 10:16 AM
LexFather

I haven't seen the TL in person yet or driven either. I do know that the TL is just so Frankenstein looking in pics it doesn't matter much. The TL is simply the product of a robot having sex with a raccoon and the raccoon pooped out the TL (correct, pooped out, did not birth it).

It literally is the sedan Aztek of cars.

The new Maxima is very stylish with an Infiniti inspire interior. Tons of features and outside of warrenty, is just as good as the TL on paper, it just doesn't have the badge. Thing is the Acura badge isn't saying much except you like ugly *** vehicles, so its a moot point.

I would get the new G37 sedan before both with no hesitation. You now get 328hp and better MPG and a 7 speed, no fuss interior, great features, space and handling and while I also am no big fan of the looks, it at least can be confused with a Lexus and not a robot raccoon turd aka the TL. You can lease a G37 for nothing, under $400 with no issues if that is of interest. MSRP, the G37 will be no more expensive than the Maxima amazingly and no more than the TL.

I would then get the Genesis before the Maxima and TL. Then I would get the PONTIAC G8. Has anyone seen it in person or on the move? It is simply FANTASTIC to look at. Oh, why can't all car design be that simple and effective.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
TL isnt entry level, thats the TSX. Interiors far better than the Maxima also. If you can afford the SH-AWD then it will handle way better too
TL is entry level. TSX is sub entry level.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-28-08 at 10:46 AM.

Old 09-28-08, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here............I just got done with full-length reviews of both of them. This should help you make up your mind.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+nissan+maxima

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+2009+acura+tl

And, here, for comparison, is the new Genesis...but it is RWD.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...w+2009+genesis

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-28-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 01:23 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

infiniti dealers are clearing out the 08 G35 sedans. you can get one for 4k under INVOICE. equipped with nav and sport and premium means the car will come out to like 31 or 32k. you cant beat that.
Old 09-28-08, 02:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legacy Spec. B? AWD, relatively fuel efficient when you want it to be and much faster than either the TL or the Maxima.
Old 09-28-08, 03:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were only between the Maxima or TL, I'd take the TL, but I voted for other and would choose the Infiniti G35 over either of them.
Old 09-29-08, 04:25 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
If it were only between the Maxima or TL, I'd take the TL, but I voted for other and would choose the Infiniti G35 over either of them.
But TL and Maxima are much bigger inside and if interior is one of his priorities G35 has slim chances. IMO TL has the best interior in class, styling is subjective so I am not referring to that but quality and ergonomics are class above ES, IS and A4 let alone G35 or 335i.
Old 09-29-08, 06:40 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I would get the TL with SH-AWD.

Then the first thing I would do is replace that monstruous grill!
Old 09-29-08, 06:53 AM
wmb
Rookie

I would go the the TL with SH-AWD. If it were between the TL and Maxima.

If not I would take the new A4
Old 09-29-08, 08:18 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I must be one of the few who is not all that taken with the new TL's interior. While it may be well finished, it is overwrought and busy in my opinion.
Old 09-29-08, 09:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Now that the options seem to have all changed, I'll give my input again.

1) Infiniti G35/G37. Someone above mentioned how you can get a steal on the 08s right now...I would probably go for that. If you want the latest and greatest then the G37 is a best bet.
2 (tie) Pontiac G8. I really dig the sculpted euro look, clean and well sorted interior, and it's performance credentials. I really like it.
2 (tie) Maxima. Very good looking, beautiful interior, nice size...but the FWD 290hp thing seems like it could be trouble if you drive hard. I'd have to test drive one to really make a call on that.
3) TL. The Acura is probably the best overall car on that list, but I just cannot get over the ugly exterior and super busy interior. I drove by an Acura dealer here in Atlanta and saw a few of them...the proportions are just completely awkward, none of the creases and lines in the body flow, and that front end is just awful. If you actually like the TL then It'd be a tossup between that and the Infiniti to me.

FWIW, I feel like Honda/Acura's first year models are prone to a few more first year bugs than those from Pontiac and Nissan from things that I have seen and read. Nissan seems to have really stepped it up with the new Maxima...same goes for Pontiac and the G8
Old 07-18-09, 08:06 PM
LexFather

Here is something amazing
-The Maxima is outselling the TL and G37 combined the last couple months and outsells them handily every month. Mind you the Maxima starts at 30k and loaded is at 40k, so the pricing is basically the same. Factor in lease deals and leases are pretty much the same. The new Maxima is KICKING ***!! I want to say its also hurting Avalon sales.

I find the car to be striking and very different looking from other sedans in a good way. The interior is no different than an Infiniti. Its faster than the TL. With options is pretty much loses nothing in regards to tech. It even has optional 19s and a double sun-roof option.

My G/F really likes this car..I like it too....

I know earlier I said I would get the G37 first with no hesitation but now, I actually favor the Maxima....

:O

Old 07-18-09, 10:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I favor the Maxima.
Old 07-18-09, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the maxima is one of the nicest looking Japanese sedans I have seen in a while. I dont like the FWD but the acura is also FWD so I dont think that matters in this comparison. I would get the Nissan with the better pricing and better looks and probably performance.
Old 07-18-09, 10:59 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd get 09/08 Acura RL http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...65%3A-2|39%3A1...
if not,TL for me also. Maxima is really nice, but no luxury feel for me what so ever.
Old 07-18-09, 11:03 PM
LexFather

Just like an Infiniti......

Quick Reply: 2009 Maxima VS. 2009 TL