Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I came from an Accord so I was used to having a pretty good amount of cargo space. In the IS, making things fit in the trunk is a bit like playing tetris At first I didn't think the lack of AWD was that big of a deal because it never snows where I live. Then I started going into the mountains in the winter...I usually end up just renting a car to take up there rather than risk injury to the IS.

Last time I went out there, a rock rolled down the mountain right into the front passenger side door of the car. Good thing it wasn't my car and I bought the insurance
Subarus are extremely popular in CO, a state that has some of the highest mountains in the country. The U.S. Olympic Ski team trains at Aspen....Subarus are their official cars. Whether they themselves chose that designation or Subaru just funds them for PR purposes, I don't know. But there is no denying the capability of most Subaru vehicles in winter conditions. A few high-performance Subies, like the WRX/STi and Legacy Spec-B, come with factory summer high-performance tires that aren't particularly good in winter even with AWD, but a quick trip to the tire shop for all-seasons or snow tires cures that problem.
Old 09-30-08, 12:25 PM
LexFather

The Laegacy has always been slept on. I would take it over the new TSX in a heartbeat. THis car has great looks inside and out and is built well with great features.

It just is missing the badge cred. It has its loyal followers but Subie will need to sell more Legacy's and figure out a way to make it happen.

Old 09-30-08, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Laegacy has always been slept on. I would take it over the new TSX in a heartbeat. THis car has great looks inside and out and is built well with great features.
Keep in mind a couple of things, though. First, the superb SH-AWD system is coming soon for the new TSX...that will give it a more level playing field with the AWD Legacy. Second, the present-generation Legacy does have a better interior than the new 2009 TSX, but remember.....this is the last year for the present Legacy/Outback....we will see an all-new one next year. We don't really know right now what 2010 will bring....Subaru, as usual, is mum on the details.............but, aside from the rumored diesel option, if the new Forester is any indication, look for some major cheapening and decontenting on the new Legacy/Outback.

Interior-wise, it was the same with the TSX. If you remember my 2009 TSX review vs. the 2008, I found the new 2009 TSX's interior much more disappointing than the 2008 TSX, which, like the present-gen Legacy, had nice, rich interior trim and hardware. Fortunately, we didn't see the same problem with the new TL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-08 at 02:15 PM.