Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited.

By CL member interest, a review of the 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....mmand=overview

In a Nutshell: A pleasant semi-sports sedan, with a richly-done interior and one of the best AWD systems on the market.

I received a CL request to review the latest Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited model. Most of you who have known me during my time at CL know that while I like a lot of different vehicles, Subaru is, overall, my favorite line of car......and, within the Subaru line, especially the current Legacy and Outback models. The Legacy/Outback is currently my favorite line of cars under $35,000, as are the Acura TL, Lexus LS460 AWD, and BMW 335xi over $35,000. My fondness for these cars is manifest in the fact that I own one myself...an Outback. I review a lot of cars here and there.......and, of course, I'm pretty picky about what I spend my own money on.

However, just because I like some Subarus doesn't mean that I necessarily like them all. I've never particularly liked the Tribeca, for a number of reasons, and, IMO, the new 2009 Forester is especially disappointing (for reasons that I have already explained in other threads), and, with one or two exceptions, was subjected to big decontenting and cost-cutting. In fact, I'm afraid that is what is going to happen to next year's all-new, redesigned 2010 Legacy/Outback....cheapening and cost-cutting. So I may be in the market, in early 2009, myself, for a new Legacy or Outback before the 2010's come out....2009 will be the last year for the present-generation cars. It's rumored that a first-ever Subaru diesel may be introduced for 2010, but I'm not sure I'd want a diesel anyway....new diesels, of course, get good mileage, but have expensive fuel and emissions-related urea-injection tanks that need periodic refilling.

So, I agreed to a formal review, per request, of the new Legacy 3.0R, but, in fairness, I'm not going to let my personal attraction to and fondness for these cars color my review or opinions. Yes, it may be my favorite inexpensive (under-35K) line of cars, but it will get the same scrutiny, objectiveness, and even-handed approach I give any other car, in any other review (note my usual list of both Plusses and Minuses below). A fair review you ask for; a fair review you will get.

For 2009, the Legacy/Outback line includes only Legacy sedans and Outback wagons, Legacy Wagons and Outback sedans having been dropped for 2008.
I won't go into the Outback line in detail, because the specific review request was for a Legacy. Seven different models of the Legacy, alone, are offered, not including the Outbacks. These start with the 2.5i, 2.5i SE, and 2.5i SE Limited, with the normally-aspirated 2.5L flat-four engine and a choice of 5-speed manual or 4-speed sport-shift automatic (the automatic is standard on the Limited). 2.5GT Limited and Spec-B models get a turbo 2.5L flat-four, a somewhat detuned version of those used in the WRX and STi high-performance rally cars. The 2.5GT gets a choice of 5-speed manual or automatic, the Spec-B a 6-speed manual. 3.0R and 3.0R Limited models get Subaru's normally-aspirated 3.0L flat-six (H6) with 245 HP and 215 ft-lbs. of torque. All 3.0R models come with the 5-speed automatic....there is no manual.

The specific request was for a 3.0R Limited, the top-line model, so I picked out a nice-looking, Bronze-colored Limited, went in and got the keys (having bought my Outback there and shopped with friends/colleagues for their new cars, they know me so well there they didn't even Xerox my driver's license), checked fluids underhood and tire pressures, did my usual static review, and then off I went.

Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited

Base Price: $29,895

Major Options:

NAV Package: $2000

Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass Homelink: $240

Center Armrest Extension: $144

Destination/Freight: $665

List price as reviewed: $32,944

Drivetrain: Symmetrical AWD, 3.0L flat-6, 245 HP @ 6600 RPM, 215 Ft-lbs. torque @ 4200 RPM, 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

EPA Mileage Ratings: 17 City, 24 Highway

Exterior Color: Deep Bronze Metallic

Interior: Warm Ivory (beige) Leather

PLUSSES:

Subaru's smoothest-running engine outside of the Tribeca.

SI-Drive feature tailors engine response to personal tastes and needs.

Superb, well-proved Symmetrical AWD system will tackle almost any reasonable weather/road condition.

Well-done brakes.

Relatively comfortable ride, considering the 45-series, low-profile tires and semi-firm suspension.

Good handling with AWD grip and little body roll.

Quicker steering response than brother Outback models.

Fairly effective noise isolation.

Handy, convienient seat-heater controls.

Outside mirror-mounted turn signals.

Rich, plush interior trim.

Nice seat leather.

Easy, superb power-seat controls.

Superb Harman-Kardon stereo (new for 2009).

Relatively handsome (IMO) exterior styling.

Will burn 87 Octane if necessary (but premium recommended).

Well-designed stalks/buttons/controls (except for shift paddles).

Generally good underhood access except for the engine clearance.

Lockable rear seat fold-downs and center pass-through.

Tank-like side impact protection with super-strong B-pillars.

Good reliability record.

MINUSES:

Cheap hood prop-rod.

Huge, restrictive over and under-engine covers.

Temporary spare tire/wheel.

Awkward radio-station tuner action.

Clunky front door-closing sound with windows down.

Poorly designed shift paddles.

Front seat cushions too short.

So-so trunk carpeting.

No remote-lever inside trunk for rear seat fold-down.

So-so paint job.

Unnecessary lower-body cladding lowers gound clearance.

Manual-shift-gear readout on dash lacks starting point for reference.

Sedan body style lacks the versatility of Outback and former Legacy wagon.

EXTERIOR:

Nothing new, of course, in the exterior styling this year, having been essentially the same Legacy sedan in production since 2005. There's been some minor changes in the grille, exterior trim, shape of the alloy wheels (IMO generally handsome), and paint colors. Otherwise, it's essentially the same, good-looking sedan that's been there for the last 4-5 years. I generally like the body lines, though, like most contemporary sedans, the raked-back roofline eats into the size of the trunk lid (more on that below).

The body sheet metal is generally well-done and solid, but a Subaru's real strength lies underneath its skin, especially in the super-strong frame and B-Pillars right behind the front seats. These pillars are so strong that fire-rescue personnel sometimes have trouble cutting into them with their Jaws....and that is saying something. The windows, in traditional Subaru style (though Subaru is getting away from this on their newer models) are the typical frameless design......somewhat like what doors/windows were on American hardtops decades ago. The downside to this design is that the front doors, especially with the windows down, tend to shut with a loose, clunky sound. You have to be careful not to slam them too hard, because the shock can misalign the frameless windows or knock them out of their channels (remember that when you have a disagreement with your Significant Other or one of your children which could lead to a door-slammming incident). Rear doors have the frameless windows as well, but shut with a much more precise, solid sound.

The trim is well-done and solid, with good materials, although I felt that the lower-body claddings, with the chrome strips on the Limited, were not only unnecessary but reduced ground clearance....this on a car that, while being a semi-sports sedan, is also designed for snow. Of course, if deep snow is a real issue, the Outback, with its much higher ground clearance (essentially a raised Legacy), will handily take care of that problem. Both outside mirror housings are solidly made and swivel/snap easily into place. On the Limited, they include the turn signals as well. The paint job, while perfectly adequate and not bad by any means, is rather so-so for a $30,000-plus car. The gloss level is a couple of steps down from the Lexus/Acura class, and there is slight but noticeable orange peel. The paint colors themselves, with the addition of the Seacrest Green Metallic and Ruby Red Pearl for 2009, have taken a step up from the too-few choices last year. They are a little on the dull side (like many cars), but classy nonetheless.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the hood, with its cheap prop-rod (which will probably be replaced with struts on the new 2010 model like it was on the new Forester and Impreza), and underneath you will find a mixed bag. The hood itself was made of aluminum on the 2008 models, and, the way I understand it, may or may not be on individual 2009's, as the price of aluminum and steel vary and Subaru uses whatever happens to be cheaper in any one batch. Legacys and Outbacks, of course, being similiar, are built in the same plants, and a friend of mine recently got a new 2009 Outback with a steel hood. Most of the 2009's I've seen have the steel.

Anyhow, the hoods have a well-done insulation pad that is effective in keeping out the well-known Subaru flat-boxer engine noise, although the four-cylinder models have a small amount of it left, especially under load. The H6 in this car was smooth and quiet....more on that below. Access to hardware and components around the engine itself (things like the battery, ABS computer, reservoirs, etc...) was quite good, with little or no obstructions in the way. But, while the 2.5L flat-four engine fits in fairly well, has no major access problems, and no annoying engine cover, the 3.0 flat-six is a different story. It fits in tight, with very little clearance around it. And, worse, a huge plastic engine cover covers up almost everything on the engine itself. Another annoying cover, which you will also find on some of the 2.5L fours, seals off the whole bottom of the engine behind the front bumper, meaning that it has to come off for a number of things, like even simple routine oil changes. When I bought my own Outback several years ago, I made sure it was one that didn't have that underhood panel, as I do at least some of my oil changes myself.

INTERIOR:

Open the front doors, climb in (with the Outback, you basically slide in at butt-level; with the Legacy, you have to drop down more), shut the door (you can close it reasonably hard, but remember, don't slam it), and you are treated to a Class-A interior, especially for a car of this class. The interior, along with a number of other features, was one of the main things that sold me on this genration of the Legacy-Outback. I really miss the interior on this car when I look at the new decontented, El Cheapo, hard-plastic interiors on new Foresters and Imprezas.

Anyhow, the beige seat leather is quite nice, smooth, soft, and perforated...not quite lexus/Jaguar leatherin smoothness, but close. The seats are generally well-shaped and comfortable, with reasonable side support, although the seat cushions themselves could be a little better. They are, IMO, a little firm for max long-distance comfort, and the relatively short cushion length doesn't give particularly good thigh support to my big, long legs. Legroom up front is fine for a person my size; OK in back except for very tall adults. Headroom, with the standard (in the Limited) sunroof is OK up front if you drop the seat cushion down with the easy superbly-designed power-seat controls, marginal in back because of the slanted roofline. Here is where the Outback Wagon has a significant advantage over the Legacy sedan.....its higher roofline in back, even with a sunroof, allows significantly more rear-seat headroom. But neither model is really suited for a large family...these are not Chevy Suburbans or Ford Expeditions by any means. They are basically good for two adults in front, and two small adults (or three children ) in back.

The interior, with a few exceptions, has exceptionally good attention to detail throughout. I only had a few real complaints (and they are minor).One is the poorly-designed shift-paddles for the sport-shift transmission. They are large and crescent-shaped, but attached to the steering column, rather than the wheel itself, so that they don't rotate with the wheel, and you sometimes have to stretch and grope with your fingertips to find them while you're cornering. Another is the awkward radio-station tuner that is done with a small rocker-bar instead of a large, properly-designed ****. It is difficult to slowly tune the station you want.....the bar shoots the frequencies up and down way too fast, even with very light pressure. The best thing to do is just set the AM, FM1, and FM2-band stations beforehand with memory buttons and use them as necessary....or bring your Heavy Metal Quiet Riot, Judas Priest, AC/DC, KISS, and Motley Crue CD's and just rock away like I do.

The rest of the interior, however, is first-rate. A nice classy two-tone effect is set up with the large, soft-black surface dash and top of the door panels, and the rest of the interior being beige. I've already described the nice seat leather....there are numerous nice, classy other features as well. Nice wood-grain trim adorns the mid-dash, console edges, and all, four door-pulls. A squarish chrome ring surrounds the shift lever, and super-shiny chrome coats the door handles. Most of the plastic/vinyl touch surfaces have a nice soft (or at least not hard) feel to them....contrast that with the almost all-hard-plastic interiors in newer Subarus. The standard four-stage seat-heater thumbwheels are a marvel of simplicity and convienience....right next to the seats themselves, at your side, on the center console. All of the controls/buttons (except for the few I mentioned) are well-done, simple, convienent, and easy-operating. The two big gauges are clear, legible, and have sporty red trim-rings around the edge; they are electroluminesently lit from the back. The coolant-temperature gauge has both a regular needle-sweep gauge AND a backup blue light to show the engine cold....how may cars can say that? (though a red light for overheating may be just as useful, if not more). The Harmon-Kardin stereo is superb in its sound quality (get it on, Metalheads), though not quite up to the Lexus Mark Levinson units.

Even without the superb Subaru AWD system underneath it, the Legacy-Outback interior alone went a long way towards my own Outback purchase decision, but the drivetrain just adds to it....more, of course, on that below.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

In the cargo area, there is a big difference between the Legacy sedan and the Outback wagon in versatility...here, of course, I'll stay primarily wth the Legacy. The Legacy's trunk is actually pretty roomy for a car of this size, although the raked-back roofline, naturally, cuts into some of the trunk lid's opening size. The lid also lacks the scissors-type hinges that allow an upsweep past vertical...the thick, bulky, older-style hinges arc up and down into small mini-compartments on either side of the main trunk that eat up some room. The trunk, while not military-stark, is not particularly well-finished either; it has some of the same thin, gray, mouse-fur fabric covering I noted in the new Acura TL. Under the floor's pull-up panel lies a typical temporary spare tire/wheel assembly and the jacking tools....while this, despite the plush interior, is not considered a luxury car, its $30,000-plus price tag, IMO, merits a real spare tire. The split rear seats fold down (with lockable hardware) to add to the cargo area; in addition, the seats can be kept up and a center pass-through section (also lockable) dropped to reveal cupholders on one side and allow rear passengers to sit and have long items like skis, fishing poles, etc... in the center pass through next to them. To have both of those at once.....and lockable....is a nice feature, and to some extent, makes up for the lack of a real spare, cheap trunk finish, and the lack of remote drop-down seat releases in the back of the trunk for convienience.

ON THE ROAD:

Though a semi-sports sedan, this car is not meant to be an AWD BMW (BMW, of course, makes AWD xi-drive models), but, nonetheless, does pretty well on the road. Start up the 3.0L flat-six with an old-style key/fob/ignition switch (the new 2010 Legacy/Outback will probably have a button), and the boxer fires up and settles into a smooth, quiet idle. This engine, along with the Tribeca's larger 3.8L flat-six, is probably the smoothest-running boxer engine Subaru has ever done, especially compared to the old Subaru washing-mashine-crude, noisy engines of decades ago that sounded and felt like the main bearings were about to let go even when they were running normally. Not only is the engine itself smooth now (noticeably smoother and quieter than its smaller 2.5L flat-four cousin), but torque feels better than the 3.0L six of just a couple of years ago, even though the numbers haven't changed. This is partly due to the nice, flexible SI-Drive **** on the console that reprograms the engine and transmission computers in one of three settings (Intelligent, Sport, and Sport-Sharp), depending on the amount of throttle response and and transmission downshifting desired. Intelligent, which most people would want, most of the time, to save gas (the 3.0L can run on regular, but premium is clearly recommended), gives relaxed, almost sluggish engine and transmission response. Sport, as expected, increases both throttle response and the tendence of the transmision to downshift for better acceleration. Sport-Sharp, which is blocked out when the engine and transmission are cold because of the added stresses involved, gives maximum throttle response, gives even quicker downshifts, and keeps the transmission in lower gears still longer. The difference between Intelligent and Sport-Sharp is quite noticeable; Intelligent is fairly sluggish, while Sport-Sharp will give you a good shove in the back.

The 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission, like the engine, is one of the smoothest Subaru has done yet....along with the AWD system, seamless and refined. The lever on the console, though exactly like the one in my older Outback, seems to work a little smoother and have a somewhat less-plasic feel. One thing I don't like about the auto-manual feature (as on my Outback) is that, when you slide the lever into the manual-shift gate, it goes to Sport-Automatic setting and just keeps the transmisision in Sport setting which raises the full-automatic shift points a little bit.The lever is now IN the manual-shift gate (shared by the fully autmatic sport setting), but the red dash-indicator for manual-shifting doesn't tell you which gear you're in until after you actually START manual shifting, and then displays the new gear you have shifted INTO. This can give you somewhat of a jolt if you downshift, thinking you are in a certan gear and you are actually in a different one. I've found, with my Outback, the best way around this problem is to slide the lever left into the secondary slot, then bump it forward to light up the red manual-shift indicator, thereby up-shifting one gear by doing do. It makes you shift up one gear uncessarily before you start the manual mode, but helps prevent downshift jolts (and the 5-speed automatic on the Legacy 3.0R Limited, unlike my Outback, also has a rev-matching feature to smooth downshifts...that's something all automatics and auto-manuals should have had years ago). The manual shift-paddles on the steering column override the shift lever, no matter what mode you have the transmission in.....full-automatic, Sport-automatic, or manual-shift.

Ride quality is surprisingly good, considering the fairly firm suspension and the 45-series, low-profile, all-season tires (high-performance tires only come on the Spec-B models). Bumps are lightly felt, but not seem harsh or uncomfortable. Steering response is quite good, with quick, sharp response (no, the SI-Drive doesn't change any suspension/shock settings), and little body roll. Steering feel, like most Subarus, is better than average, though not quite up to BMW standards. The superb Symmetrical AWD, of course, helps out with a lot of the good cornering and grip......response, like many AWD sport sedans, is basically neutral without a lot of either over or under-steer. All other things equal, AWD, compared to RWD, decreases the tendency of the tail to run wide, though, I, of course, don't try to do powerslides on a public road, where, IMO, it is dangerous....not to mention abusing a brand-new car. Noise isolation is quite good; helped, of course, by the quiet-running H6 engine.

Brakes, like those on several other sport sedans I have reviewed lately, were quite good, with almost no sponginess, good, quick response, evenness of modulation, and a well-placed brake pedal that did not cause my size-15 clodhoppers to hang up going from gas to brake pedals or back again. The AWD setup helps some, too, by dividing the car's weight more evenly between front and rear and helping all four wheels/brakes to do their share of the work, but of course, because of forward weight transfer during hard braking, rear-engine cars like Porsches usually do best in braking.

THE VERDICT:

There's no denying the fact that I think very highly of the whole line of Legacys and Outbacks, but I am also objective and am able to see the car's weaknesses along with the strengths. And this car, like any other, has its share of both. The superb AWD system, good ride-handling combination, plush interior, reasonable (but not cheap) price, good assembly quality, and a long history of better-then-average reliability, except for 1999-2002 headgaskets on the 2.5i version, all work strongly in its favor. But the car also has some annoyances in its auto-manual shifting, a cheap prop-rod for the hood, an awkward radio-tuner bar, an over-stuffed engine compartment with unnecessary corners and panels, and seats that may give you a back/thigh-ache or Sciatica on long trips.

As I don't take a lot of long trips, I can live with the car's weaknesses. But you, as a car buyer, will have to decide that for yourself. Some of these weaknesses, along with the possibility of an all-new diesel engine, may be addressed in the new 2010 Legacy/Outback, to be introduced next year. But I look on the new model next year with trepidation. I saw what Subaru did to the new Forester, and I'd bet the monthly rent we're going to see some of that same cost-cuting on the new Legacy/Outback, too. That's why I'm seriously considering another new Legacy or Outback myself, from the 2009 stock, before they are gone for good.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-08 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 04:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, as I have never driven an H6 Subaru. I'd be curious to see how the 3.0L compares to the ole 3.3L in the SVX.

One correction I have to make is that the Tribeca is equipped with a 3.6L, not a 3.8L. Having said that, I think that we can look forward to the next generation Legacy/Outback being equipped with the 256 HP 3.6L and if we are lucky, maybe it will make more power than the current. One certain advantage of the 3.6L is that it is desingned to run on regular where the 3.0L really is not. It is also supposedly more fuel efficient.

Some people have been speculating that the next Legacy GT may even be the 3.6L instead of the 2.5L turbo. We shall see. I enjoy my naturally asperated 9 year old Legacy GT. And I'd like to note that I have had 3 Subarus from '96 to '01 each with the ill fated EJ25 and have yet to replace a head gasket. Last time I checked, both were still running strong, though at 103,000 miles I think that my '99 has the most time on the clock.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that I think Subaru makes a fine product for what you are paying for. Afterall, if you wanted to spend more money for a fancy interior with a glossy finish and buttons galore I think most would choose Audi. As for me, a 22 year old college student, I am content with my fake wood and stiffening leather seats and steering wheel. All of which have retained their shine over the years.

I would definately buy another Subie. Mine have given me safety, reliability, and efficiency. And coming from a very rusty Prelude, I am pleased with how well the exterior of my current and my '96 have held up over time.
Old 09-29-08, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Interesting, as I have never driven an H6 Subaru. I'd be curious to see how the 3.0L compares to the ole 3.3L in the SVX.
It's been awhile since I drove an SVX (the last one was a used one shopping with a friend of mine)....I don't recall the engine characteristics in detail, though, in execution, the car was more or less like a Japanese Thunderbird (before the 2-seater came out)....a relatively big, touring car. The 3.0, I believe came from the 3.3 block.

One correction I have to make is that the Tribeca is equipped with a 3.6L, not a 3.8L.
Thanks. I still make typos once in a while.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that I think Subaru makes a fine product for what you are paying for. Afterall, if you wanted to spend more money for a fancy interior with a glossy finish and buttons galore I think most would choose Audi. As for me, a 22 year old college student, I am content with my fake wood and stiffening leather seats and steering wheel. All of which have retained their shine over the years.

I would definately buy another Subie. Mine have given me safety, reliability, and efficiency. And coming from a very rusty Prelude, I am pleased with how well the exterior of my current and my '96 have held up over time.
Some (not all) surveys show Subaru to be the top brand for percentage of repeat-ownerships (not in total numbers, but percentage of those who owned a Subaru getting another one). Once you have one, it's like being in a cult....and can be addicting.
Old 09-29-08, 05:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Wasn't the 3.3L essentially just the 2.2L with 2 extra cylinders slapped on to it?
Old 09-29-08, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Wasn't the 3.3L essentially just the 2.2L with 2 extra cylinders slapped on to it?
You may have me on that one. I'm not sure.

I do know the 2.5 was more or less a bored-out 2.2 (one reason it was a less durable engine, until they got the head gaskets fixed in 2003). Just how the 3.0 and the 3.3 are related to these, I don't remember. I thought the 3.0 and 3.3 had the same block but perhaps, as you indicate, that isn't so.
Old 09-29-08, 06:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I looked it up. The new H6's (starting with the 3.0L) have EZ codes, where the older ones (2.7L and 3.3L) were EG codes. Im assuming that changing the letter would indicate a new design, but perhaps not. ??
Old 09-29-08, 06:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall To be honest I didn't consider the Subie when I was shopping for the IS and I might not be in the IS if I had
Old 09-29-08, 09:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think what is surprising to most people is how fast the 243 HP Legacy GT is. I can only imagine how quick it would be with STi power.
Old 09-30-08, 05:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I looked it up. The new H6's (starting with the 3.0L) have EZ codes, where the older ones (2.7L and 3.3L) were EG codes. Im assuming that changing the letter would indicate a new design, but perhaps not. ??

Yes...that was my point. It's confusing.
Old 09-30-08, 05:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

To be honest I didn't consider the Subie when I was shopping for the IS and I might not be in the IS if I had
Well, consider this: I had an IS300 before my Subie (and one of the main reasons I joined CL)....bright yellow knockout paint, an ultra-smooth in-line-6, and tank-solid construction, but was LOUSY in the winter, even with all-season tires, traction control, and snow-mode transmission.
Old 09-30-08, 05:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

To be honest I didn't consider the Subie when I was shopping for the IS and I might not be in the IS if I had
Well, consider this: I had an IS300 before my Subie.....it was one of the main reasons I joined CL. Nice car.....bright yellow knockout paint, an ultra-smooth in-line-6, and tank-solid construction, but it was LOUSY in the winter, even with all-season tires, traction control, and snow-mode transmission. It also couldn't carry bulky items like my Outback.
Old 09-30-08, 06:23 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The traction of the IS300 has always made me nervous, even on dry pavement. But its just such a good looking car.

My bro's is for sale if anyone is interested....
Old 09-30-08, 06:42 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

GREAT review as always... and LOVE your CD choices
Old 09-30-08, 07:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, consider this: I had an IS300 before my Subie.....it was one of the main reasons I joined CL. Nice car.....bright yellow knockout paint, an ultra-smooth in-line-6, and tank-solid construction, but it was LOUSY in the winter, even with all-season tires, traction control, and snow-mode transmission. It also couldn't carry bulky items like my Outback.
I came from an Accord so I was used to having a pretty good amount of cargo space. In the IS, making things fit in the trunk is a bit like playing tetris At first I didn't think the lack of AWD was that big of a deal because it never snows where I live. Then I started going into the mountains in the winter...I usually end up just renting a car to take up there rather than risk injury to the IS.

Last time I went out there, a rock rolled down the mountain right into the front passenger side door of the car. Good thing it wasn't my car and I bought the insurance
Old 09-30-08, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GREAT review as always... and LOVE your CD choices

Thanks.

Yes, IMO, the 80's, the Age of Heavy Metal, produced some of the best rock music ever. This "rock" stuff today can't even begin to compare...it just isn't heavy enough.

Unfortunately, in case you did not hear, Quiet Riot's lead singer, Kevin DuBrow, recently passed away from the same thing that kills so many musicians.....an OD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-08 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Limited.